Are Many In A State Of 'denial' Since Bf Is So Scary?

georgerm

Guest OntarioSquatch

I like to think people will consider the possibilities, but unfortunately it's not like that. When it comes to certain things people will deny the possibilities. Things that could one day turn out to be true.

Check, I will answer that, but I have to be circumspect, lest this be deemed a religious discussion and redacted by the Mods.

So I won't give you a laundry list of particular faiths that would be directly challenged, but rather expound on the religious concept that is, namely the issue of en-soul-ment. Many faiths teach that man has a particular and special distinction among all living creatures as being endowed with a transcendent spiritual nature. Signs that are pointed to as evidence of that nature (the "soul") include self-awareness, the ability to comprehend and manipulate abstract thoughts (concepts such as language, aesthetics, etc) and the ability to transcend primal instinct in the name or pursuit of non-survival related concers (love, hate, and so forth).

Most of us, I suspect, instinctively understand that many of those traits are present to one degree or another in many if not most high-order mammals, and most certainly in the so-called "higher primates". The ascribed behaviors of BF seem to indicate that it possesses at least some of them, so admitting BF (and the attendant admitting of those traits) would be taken as a threat/challenge if only subconsciously.

I think the same phenomenon is at work when we ignore things like gorillas being taught to actively communicate via sign language, or elephants that paint. We also never really stop to consider the implications of the expressions of devotion shown by some pets (dogs in particular) to their masters..

It also entangles the related arena of ethics. If BF is admitted with the traits it displays, is it ethical to hunt them? Kill them (except in self-defense)? Do they have the inherent rights and moral status we ascribe to ourselves as en-souled, sentient beings?

Those issues are uncomfortable for many religions to address. They're uncomfortable for many secular philosophies as well.

Guest gerrykleier

Is BF so scary and weird that many Americans remain in a state of denial?

Denial (also called abnegation) is a defense mechanism postulated by Sigmund Freud, in which a person is faced with a fact that is too uncomfortable to accept and rejects it instead, insisting that it is not true despite what may be overwhelming evidence.[1] The subject may use:

• simple denial: deny the reality of the unpleasant fact altogether

If BF is real, we are dealing with an extremely stealthy, smart animal that can avoid human detection much better than any other large mammal on earth. It's stealth and physical powers are beyond imagination, yet we are seldomly harmed by this primate that has human qualities to it. If it desired to harm humans the results would be terrifying and brutal. Another reason for denial.

This fact is too much for many to admit so they feel comfortable by putting it out of mind by using a mental defense called denial. Denial suggest that these people know it's true but the truth is too scary or traumatic to admit. Is this true in your opinion?

How can we bring the public out of this mental state so we can get on with the discovery? If most Americans could get on board with the movement to discover BF, we will obtain the facts more quickly. Do you agree?

My experience with talking to people about the subject is that most people who are negative towards the possibility of BF's existence are dismissive simply because they think the subject is ridiculous. On a par with believing Vampires, Unicorns etc were real tangible creatures. That point of view has been heavily reinforced by the Scandal Mag take : "I had Bigfoot's Baby" etc. There's no fear at all, just immediate dismissal.

Many people are open minded and interested in the subject, of course. Probably more since the onset of all the TV 'Reality' shows. Finding BF has certainly had the effect of focusing people's attention on BF.

GK

Check, I will answer that, but I have to be circumspect, lest this be deemed a religious discussion and redacted by the Mods.

So I won't give you a laundry list of particular faiths that would be directly challenged, but rather expound on the religious concept that is, namely the issue of en-soul-ment. Many faiths teach that man has a particular and special distinction among all living creatures as being endowed with a transcendent spiritual nature. Signs that are pointed to as evidence of that nature (the "soul") include self-awareness, the ability to comprehend and manipulate abstract thoughts (concepts such as language, aesthetics, etc) and the ability to transcend primal instinct in the name or pursuit of non-survival related concers (love, hate, and so forth).

Most of us, I suspect, instinctively understand that many of those traits are present to one degree or another in many if not most high-order mammals, and most certainly in the so-called "higher primates". The ascribed behaviors of BF seem to indicate that it possesses at least some of them, so admitting BF (and the attendant admitting of those traits) would be taken as a threat/challenge if only subconsciously.

I think the same phenomenon is at work when we ignore things like gorillas being taught to actively communicate via sign language, or elephants that paint. We also never really stop to consider the implications of the expressions of devotion shown by some pets (dogs in particular) to their masters..

It also entangles the related arena of ethics. If BF is admitted with the traits it displays, is it ethical to hunt them? Kill them (except in self-defense)? Do they have the inherent rights and moral status we ascribe to ourselves as en-souled, sentient beings?

Those issues are uncomfortable for many religions to address. They're uncomfortable for many secular philosophies as well.

It's too bad we can't discuss this, though I understand that threads could be very difficult to moderate to say the least. Too many opportunities to anger people even if if unintended.

If BF are shown to exist, it seems like the Religious angle will be discussed in depth somewhere. It would be nice to have a leg up on the discussion. The Vatican has issued statements through an official source (a Monsignor, I think-it was widely reported in the Media) on the subject of intelligent life elsewhere in the universe, so I don't think Bigfoot existing is too much of a stretch for all religions.

GK

Guest thermalman

I wouldn't label it as denial, but I think we have a strong tendency to fear the unknown.

Definitely a strong consideration. Mostly because we don't know how or what the unknown is capable of, along with the unfamiliarity of their life style. All due to the lack of observation and experience.

Edited by thermalman

Guest minnie-ear

People do try to reconsile sasquatch existance with their religous beliefs. I agree with Mulder.

People are afraid of the Boogie Man. I get some pretty strong reactions from people. It's almost amusing how just the mention of bigfoot sets some 'normal' people off. Perfect strangers will call you a liar or a fool without ever giving you the chance to argue your point. I think it's their fear of the unknown. A threat to, 'what they know'. Of course it's folks with this mind set who completely freak when they encounter one of these guys. I've talked with grown super macho guys who turn into timid little boys when they tell their sasquatch story. 1 part paradigm shift + 1 part monster = pshychological trauma. It's a humbling experience to say the least. I know of a few researchers, people you have heard of, who are afraid. Some won't leave the campfire, some sit with weapons across their knee, won't enter the forest. To some people Bigfoot or the idea of bigfoot is intimidating.

Personally I find all the scary stuff unwarented and wish their was a way to demistify and de-boogieman the sasquatch. If we could get rid of the negative spooky stuff and bring to light that they are simply surviving, not lurking, in the forests of North America, perhaps more people would find the whole notion a little easier to swallow.

^To be fair, minnie, BF has in some cases very much earned a rather sinister reputation. At a bare minimum, it should be treated with much respect and caution as any large, powerful and potentially unpredictable creature should be.

Guest MikeG

Folks, we have to tread VERY carefully with the religious stuff.

Here are the rules:

C. Political and religious topics are forbidden in all areas of the Forum with the following exceptions...

Discussion relating to evolution as a branch of scientific study are acceptable but not when used as a means to push a political agenda with discussions.

Religious references pertinent to the topic of discussion can be used in discussions but not in a manner that tries to demean, coerce, or recruit members in favor or disfavor of a specific belief system

Please take care to stay well within the limits. I'll be dropping in from time to time to see how this pans out.

Mike

I for one have said just about all that I feel can be safely said. I explained the concept that BF challenges, and that's as far as I'm willing to go.

Guest minnie-ear

No more sinister than the other large American omnivores. I don't think they have ill intent no more so than a bear, couger. wolf or shark. They are certainly less sinister than our fellow man. I doubt there are any examples of sasquatch Srebrenikas, Buchenwalds, Mexican cartels or Pol Pots or...We are the real monsters on planet Earth. Perhaps that's another reason people like to hate on Biggy; sort of a coultural scape goat.

The vast majority of sighting and encounters are very benign. There are very rare exceptions. Of course you can't help but respect them and their potential. You have no choice but all in all I have personally never felt threatened and I've spoken with quite a many folk who wouldn't have been able to tell of their encounter if sasquatch were habitually across the board sinister.

Again, I don't blame people for being afraid and I agree that it is fear that causes a great deal of denial. I think the main cause of the general publics denial is a result of the tongue-in-cheek approach the media has taken with the subject. Thank you Enquirerer and every local news jock who has rolled their eyes while reporting an the topic.

People do try to reconsile sasquatch existance with their religous beliefs. I agree with Mulder. People are afraid of the Boogie Man. I get some pretty strong reactions from people. It's almost amusing how just the mention of bigfoot sets some 'normal' people off. Perfect strangers will call you a liar or a fool without ever giving you the chance to argue your point. I think it's their fear of the unknown. A threat to, 'what they know'.

THIS IS THE REACTION THAT IS INTERESTING TO ME. THESE PEOPLE SEEM TO BE SAYING DON'T INFORM ME, I WANT TO LIVE IN LA LA LAND WHEN I GO INTO THE FOREST.

Of course it's folks with this mind set who completely freak when they encounter one of these guys. I've talked with grown super macho guys who turn into timid little boys when they tell their sasquatch story. 1 part paradigm shift + 1 part monster = pshychological trauma. It's a humbling experience to say the least. I know of a few researchers, people you have heard of, who are afraid. Some won't leave the campfire, some sit with weapons across their knee, won't enter the forest. To some people Bigfoot or the idea of bigfoot is intimidating.

THIS HAPPENED TO THE GREAT INDIAN HUNTER AND TRAPPER IN BRITISH COLUMBIA WHO WAS CAPTURED BY BFS AND LATER ESCAPED. HIS HAIR TURNED WHITE IN A MATTER OF MONTHS, AND HE HAD NO DESIRE TO LEAVE THE VILLAGE. HE MAY HAVE BEEN IN DENIAL IF OTHERS TRIED TO INFORM HIM OF BF. I DOUBT IF HE FELL INTO THE IGNORANT CATEGORY WITH NO KNOWLEDGE OF BF.

Personally I find all the scary stuff unwarented and wish their was a way to demistify and de-boogieman the sasquatch. If we could get rid of the negative spooky stuff and bring to light that they are simply surviving, not lurking, in the forests of North America, perhaps more people would find the whole notion a little easier to swallow.

I BELIEVE YOU ARE RIGHT. WE NEED TO BE IN THE RIGHT FRAME OF MIND WHEN DEALING WITH BF. BF PROBABLY HAS A REALLY NICE SIDE THAT WE CAN COUNT ON IF WE RESPECT BF AND ITS TERRITORY. RESPECT SETS THE STAGE FOR INTERACTIONS.

Again, I don't blame people for being afraid and I agree that it is fear that causes a great deal of denial. I think the main cause of the general publics denial is a result of the tongue-in-cheek approach the media has taken with the subject. Thank you Enquirerer and every local news jock who has rolled their eyes while reporting an the topic.

THESE EYE ROLLERS FALL INTO THE UNINFORMED NONBELIEVER CAMP IMHO, AND THEY ARE DOING A DISSERVICE WHEN THEY REPORT WITH OBVIOUS IGNORANCE. THE SKEPTIC'S CAMP ACKNOWLEDGE THE REAL POSSIBILITY OF BF AND HANDLE THE REALITY WELL. THE FIRM BELIEVER CAMP IS FULL OF EYE WITNESSES AND OTHERS LOOKING FOR BF. THE DENIALIST CAMP KNOWS BF IS A POSSIBLE REALITY AND DENIAL IS THE PSYCHE WRAPPED IN PROTECTIVE PADDING. THE PADDING PREVENTS BELIEVING, FURTHER STUDY, AND TRUTH SEEKING. WHO REALLY WANTS TO BE INFORMED THAT WE HAVE 800 POUND MONSTERS LIVING IN OUR WOODS? IGNORANCE IS BLISS.

Edited by georgerm

From a human species perspective, I don't think that it is an entirely intellectual, or even an entirely emotional response. I think that to a certain degree it is hardwired.

There are certain threats that we instinctively recognize. A baby will hesitate to crawl out onto a transparent sheet of glass, instinctively understanding the danger of falling, for example. I also recall holding my infant daughter on my lap a few years ago when a commercial came on that had a rattlesnake striking at the camera. She reacted to that and other images of snakes with fear, even though she had never seen a snake or anything like it.

Whatever you want to call these built-in trepidations, they exist to a greater or lesser degree in each of us as individuals and they are common enough that they could be referred to as a trait of our species.

With regard to squatch, they haven't simply sprung from the ground overnight. They have existed in our world, presumably, for as long as we have been human. Today we overshadow them in population, technology, and domination of that portion of the planet we inhabit. But there was likely a time in the distant past where we were on more even footing, pehaps even a time when they were the more dominant hunter-gatherer species at a time when we, as hunter-gatherers ourselves, were few and far between. At a time when their physical dominance held sway over our technological and social adaptations, they were likely strong competition at best and a serious threat to us at worst.

So competition and conflict between our species likely dates back far enough that it may have affected which of our forebears carried on their genes. If so, this could explain our "gut" response to them.

Guest BFSleuth

Here's a classic case of a standing "bear" that shadows hikers down a trail (found by BobbyO). Submitted by a hiker on a trail review:

http://www.localhikes.com/Hikes/Five_Mile_2975.asp

" Reviewed by Robert on 3/28/2010

Did this today with Jan, Paul and Audrey. When resting at the Leanto, we saw a massive animal that we could not quite make out observing us from about 100ft up the trail. Paul noticed it first, pointed, said 'dude what the f*** is that' and when Janet locked eyes on it she screamed which startled it and it took off. It must have been a massive black bear standing. Went back down pissed off because the girls and paul were shaken up, talking crazy. So close to summit!! Was a bit unnerving from the leanto back down as we heard the animal following us off-trail and it was getting dark. Otherwise the hike was great. A bit overcast, easy to find, PA not crowded, no bugs!"