Why I'm Not A Fan Of Stick/tree Structures......

Guest Particle Noun

That's pretty cool...

Clearly, the wind did that.

Or cub scouts!

Or, the planet venus!!!!

Edited by Particle Noun

Guest spurfoot

Some relatively fresh structures/leantos etc. with leafy boughs on them have been found from time to time. They usually have enough boughs to stop a bit of snow and also to break the impact of raindrops. They are never enough to prevent rain dripping through. They are enough to prevent infrared radiation to the cold night sky and therefore provide a very modest degree of warmth.

No doubt BF builds them according to expected weather. An old structure would be expected to have the flimsy boughs to have fallen through the main structural members. Bedding of boughs or ferns is sometimes observed. If I were ever caught out in the cold without equipment I would cover myself with dry leaves. There is at least one BF sighting where a BF erupted from a pile of leaves.

Just a few random thoughts here.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Transformer

And for some folks military or special forces training sightings are well received.

Do you have a particular problem with Dr. Fahrenbach and his examination of this report? Please share.

Because this is a very misleading statement: Follow-up investigation report by BFRO Investigator Dr. Wolf H. Fahrenbach.

Dr. Farenbach did not do anything remotely resembling an investigation and if that is not self evident to anybody reading it then I am afraid that our standards for plausible evidence is so far removed from each other that any further discussion may be moot. It is this type of behaviour that separates us from proper scientific objectivity because to hear a story like this without any sort of verification or investigation and then rely on it as some kind of evidence is just mind boggling. Where does one draw the line in reports like this? Is it good spelling or the claimed (not investigated or proven) credentials or occupation of the reporter or is it the location or is it the fact that it sounds good and fits in with preconceived patterns that we like to think we know? Why should anybody believe any story without verification much less start using it as some sort of data or claiming it as some sort of fact? That is my opinion anyway.

BRSleuth why do think that this story is factual or useful? Please share.

BFSleuth you threw down the gauntlet and then failed to reply to my answer and my follow-up question so I thought a little reminder might be in order so I can learn how to separate the wheat from the chaff. This is very important as there are thousands of conflicting reports about sasquatches and all are not obviously true.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm investigating an area now where i found this peculiar looking structure I believe to be a hunting blind. I've been contemplating it's operation and I believe I know how it works. I'm going there again today to get better pics and re-arm it to see if my theory is valid.

post-1320-0-89043000-1340895183_thumb.jp

Guest BFSleuth

Wes, when you take pictures, try to get some detail shots of the ends of the branches and trees in the structure. I want to see if we can estimate when the structure was made, how old it is.

Guest SquatchinNY

BF: On my trip in JAN, I found a stick thing, but, there are boy scouts and campers regularly in the area.

Well you doen't really know how to take a good pic of something you don't understand what it's function is. I've got to go for now will be back later.

This is what you see from the top of the hill before you get to the main structure.

post-1320-0-79043900-1340910451_thumb.jp

post-1320-0-39059300-1340910519_thumb.jp

post-1320-0-78257400-1340910559_thumb.jp

I'm in Virginia, I take it your in NY? Like one poster already stated, there are many structures around including minatures of the large one. In the first 2 pics I posted (in #97) I was standing in the same spot on the hill when they were taken. I predict there are more structures/markers on the other side of the river on national forest land. My partner briefly scouted the other side and upon his returned said "you're going to have to come with me to see this". Going there today, can't wait.

Wes, when you take pictures, try to get some detail shots of the ends of the branches and trees in the structure. I want to see if we can estimate when the structure was made, how old it is.

The witness stated that when he discovered it last spring it had green around it. Here are some close-ups I took. The last pic in this series is an example of a mini version found near the large one.

post-1320-0-29626800-1340981418_thumb.jp

post-1320-0-50320300-1340981469_thumb.jp

post-1320-0-26624700-1340981509_thumb.jp

post-1320-0-70737500-1340981683_thumb.jp

Remember that game "what's wrong with this picture"?

post-1320-0-77708600-1340982067_thumb.jp

post-1320-0-94997900-1340982123_thumb.jp

I'm not a fan of them for several reasons:

1. they are a big fire hazard.

2. it brings down the property value. I mean here you are looking at this beautiful landscape and then looking to your left there's this big narly stick structure. Just ruins the whole view.

3. And who does this Squatch think he his building a structure and squatting on some land he doesn't own. He better have got a building permit for that shanty and paying taxes to boot!

Edited by squating squatch

• 1 month later...
Guest BFSleuth

As I was driving between appointments last week I was listening to a fascinating interview on NPR. They were interviewing a journalist that accompanied an expedition to locate an uncontacted tribe deep in the Amazon in order to confirm they exist and therefore set aside land from logging and development. The tribe is known as The Arrow People.

The expedition had researchers and indigenous guides. As they were walking on a trail they came upon a branch that had been broken, leaving it hanging by a sliver of bark and blocking the trail. Immediately the guides ordered everyone off the trail and noted that this was a universal sign to stay out of the area.

Unfortunately I missed the rest of the interview getting into an appointment, cut off right when they were tracking part of their expedition that didn't return... tracked right into a recently abandoned village and then the expedition member's tracks disappeared into thin air!

The part about the "universal sign" of the broken branch is intriguing. Any other confirmation of this as a known sign?

BFF Patron

Well I'm not sure about whether the "sliver" part of it still led to the other halve of a branch or not but one of my longer lasting "fluid" situations revolved around two-halves of what was once a connected but now broken branch (and it was a species of tree (tulip poplar) that did have long slivers of bark ripped down the side indicating it had been disconnected by hands in a movement to separate the two halves).

It resulted in about a one month interaction with those two halves of branches which I reunited initially to show that I was aware that something separated the two halves with hands.

This attached picture shows one stage of the interaction, after the discovery of the two sticks having been reunited as one and propped against a log.

And this another:

A long strip of bark hangs from the end of one broken poplar branch halve placed in a tree while the other halve had been balanced by something and placed on the log.

Edited by bipedalist

BFF Patron

And a better view of the stringy bark (ignore the pesky wrist strap or whatever in the lower left) in a branch hanging arrangement.

Bip

This reminds me of an unusual scene I came a cross, I found a small branch that had been wedged under a log on the ground and beside the leafless branch were the leaves. It appeared as though what ever removed the leaves sat on the log and plucked the leaves from the branch .

Very strange and very bored.