Dead Grizzly Bears Found

Guest Darrell

And that window is very short. As we all know depending on climate on average a bear or bigfoot carcass would have a very short time to remain obviously identifiable to an untrained eye before it shrivels, decomposes and is scavenged past the point of immediate recognition.

And even then- people would think it's a bear

Guest MikeG
If BF exists, remains must be found or it isn't there.

Three things there that don't connect, Gigantor.

If it exists, it will leave remains. 100%

If it leaves remains, they must be found. Wrong! 0% The argument ad absurdum from this is that everything that exists is found.

If it the remains aren't found, it doesn't exist. Wrong! 0% See above.

Mike

I agree. It might bring clarity if someone could create a philosophical model here... perhaps even a mathematical theorem to support the probability of finding a body. Human population density averaged across known BF regional habitat, comparing known bear density & BF sightings to deduce regional BF numbers would be variables.

Edited by Sommersby

Three things there that don't connect, Gigantor.

If it exists, it will leave remains. 100%

If it leaves remains, they must be found. Wrong! 0% The argument ad absurdum from this is that everything that exists is found.

If it the remains aren't found, it doesn't exist. Wrong! 0% See above.

Mike

What percentage of people would, after finding a BF body, report it to the appropriate authorities to set in motion it's recovery and classificaton?

Guest Darrell

I would say in this day and age even if there were a hint of some remains belonging to a bigfoot someone would be grabbing it and hawking it somewhere to make a buck. And if it proved to be the real deal you could have the potential to earn hundreds of thousands if not millions off the find.

Unless their friend laughed and pointed at them about their foolishness for believing a bigfoot could exist.

Guest BFSleuth

What percentage of people would, after finding a BF body, report it to the appropriate authorities to set in motion it's recovery and classificaton?

... and how many have found remains but had no idea what they had from the state of decomposition? Or, how many have found remains but nobody believed them?

Here's a scenario to consider: You are two days from the trailhead on a hike in the North Cascades. You come upon what might be BF remains but you aren't sure. It smells to high heaven. You aren't prepared to collect a sample (like who goes on a hike prepared to take organic samples for DNA testing?). So, do you really want to stuff a piece into your $300 backpack with your $400 sleeping bag and maybe $600+ of clothes???? Not unless you are a really dedicated bigfooter. Otherwise you might just take some pictures, leave the stinky mess, and come back to ridicule from friends about how you got all excited about nothing...

Guest Darrell

Or in the case I posted in starting this thread, hikers did find remains, recognized them as bears and reported it to the authorities who investigated and found the remains again. Chances are they did'nt know they were grizzly but knew they were probably some type of bear. So if some young nubile hiker finds a pile of dead fur I think it reasonable that said hiker would or could report it and the DNR or USFS or such would investigate. I just think that with all the hoopla in the past years there is somebody that would think "hey that might be a bigfoot" and cart out some remains to make some money. Is it outlandish to think that would'nt happen?

Guest BFSleuth

I think with the advent of MonsterQuest, Finding Bigfoot, etc. that more people are aware of the possibility they exist and might be more inclined to bring back a tissue sample if they came across the remains of a BF.

I don't think that it would be normal for the average hiker to report a dead animal carcass to DNR or USFS or a Park Ranger unless they thought there was something "wrong". In the case of the bears, since there was a mother and cub body found together it raised questions.

Guest Darrell

In the case of the bears, since there was a mother and cub body found together it raised questions.

In this case the sow was found by the hiker and the cub found by USFW personnel while investigating. But does show that when there is a dead hairy carcus that does not look like a deer it sends up red flags. At least out here it does as there is quite a bit of poaching activity thru the year. Does make you wonder why nobody is bringing in stuff to try and cash in on the popularity bigfoot is getting.

Guest Kerchak

I've stated this before but people don't seem to get it.

Who says no one has found a dead Sasquatch?

What you're really asking is "Why in the last 150 years hasn't someone found a dead Sasquatch, recognized it for what it was (regardless of scavenging and decomposition), and had the werewithall to drag it out of the woods to be "discovered" by science?"

I'd argue someone, at sometime HAS found a big pile of black fur with maggots and thought "that's odd" and kept right on walking.

Tirademan

Excellent point. You get a plus.

Guest SquatchinNY

Well, let's do a little estimating.

Say the local bear population is 1K and we see about 10 carcasses a year. The local bigfoot population is 10.

10/1000=X/10

10 X

----=-----

1000 10

1000x=10(10)

1000x=100

X=1/10

Number of squatch carcasses found in year: 1/10

Maybe bigfoot is not unlike a cat when it's close to death? Goes and finds somewhere safe and familiar to rest/try heal and then kicks the bucket?

Well, let's do a little estimating.

Say the local bear population is 1K and we see about 10 carcasses a year. The local bigfoot population is 10.

10/1000=X/10

10 X

----=-----

1000 10

1000x=10(10)

1000x=100

X=1/10

Number of squatch carcasses found in year: 1/10

You lost me at one-tenth of a Sasquatch.

Guest thermalman

Should that not be around 1/100, instead of 1/10?

(1000)(1/10)= 100

Edited by thermalman