Is Science Good Or Bad?

Guest Twilight Fan

Guest Twilight Fan

Thanks for the compliment, Aaron! Not sure how I would be in a classroom of kids (as opposed to adults) though.

Nothing is ever black and white, there will be ways that sasquatch will benefit to the detriment of the human population and humans will benefit to the detriment of sasquatch. We can only hope, if anything is ever confirmed, that the sacrifices from both sides will have been worth it.

Edited by CTfoot

Twilight Fan thanks for starting this topic. I think this is one of the most important issues concerning Bigfoot.

When I got interested in Bigfoot I thought scientific recognition for this creature would be the best thing ever. Now I'm not totally sure. I even hope they don't exist, but it seems the cat is out of the bag and it won't go back in.

I think scientific discovery is a double-edged sword: on the one hand it brings official recognition and legal protection, which is a good thing. On the other hand, it will draw in massive attention to Bigfoot, possibly from individuals with less ethical motives.

Also, I think a much bigger problem will be the reaction of the general public: humans on the whole are not known for their open-mindedness and acceptance of things that are different. What do you think will happen when people hear that giant, scary, semi-human creatures may roam their neighbourhoods at night, going through their trash? Humans like to think they are in control of their surroundings and the creatures that live in it. Suddenly, that idea is shattered.

Humans tend to focus on the negative and treathening. The 'Missing 411' books and accounts of native American legends of cannibals and kidnappings are already having an effect. People don't often discuss (even recent) accounts of Bigfoots leaving gifts in exchange for food, or of Bigfoots helping people, even though there are enough of those.

I’ve read a few comments elsewhere about the Sierra shootings like "it's a good thing he shot those monsters, they're cannibals anyway". When the public reads these stories they might want to be protected from Bigfoot, not the other way around, and in a way I can understand that.

Guest BFSleuth

I know that some time ago it was mentioned in a thread on these forums that there is another potential issue with the confirmation of BF as a species, and that will be poaching for the animal parts trade. It is a topic which is difficult for Westerners to wrap our minds around, but much of Asian traditional medicine relies on animal parts and poaching has decimated many rare species around the world to feed this trade. Some of the first written references to the Yeti was in a book of traditional medicine, describing the parts of the Yeti that were beneficial for curing disease and promoting health.

It is not just the shipping of the parts to Asia, there are travel agencies in Asia that specialize in tours to countries where people can enjoy eating rare animals. The dollars generated by selling animal parts is sometimes staggering. We should be sure that poaching BF or trading in BF parts is a crime that is punished to a far greater extent than taking any other species. It should rise to the level of a taboo in our society, just as it was for most of the First Nations or Native American people.

While BF does pose a danger to humans that venture into the woods, we should simply make the public aware of the potential danger and how to stay safe.

I also think that we should have laws against live capture or keeping BF in captivity of any kind.

BF, you raise several important issues in your post:

1. Unless the "animal parts" can be morphed into some kind of drug in which pharma can benefit, the FDA will never ordain the use of any carcass parts for health-- even especially if it happens to cure something, so we're safe there, or BF is safe there I should say.

2. Yes, there are places where you can go and indulge in morbid dining--I saw a video where a monkey is strapped in the middle of a table and the patrons were given hammers with which to beat the monkey to death then they ate the brains--utterly sick! Sorry if that wasn't quite what you were thinking of but there it is...

3. Until BF is confirmed to NOT be human, any killing of them would be considered homicide I would think, unless you can prove your life was in danger, so ...

4. I don't know if there are any confirmed cases where someone was harmed or killed by a BF, but it may well be possible. We are responsible for our own safe navigation when in the wilderness

5. I'm sure some sick microculture out there, who happens to be wealthy, will seek to enhance their catalogue with BF taxidermy. Anyone remember "Surviving the Game"??

Edited by AaronD

Guest BFSleuth

Traditional medicine in Asia has a history that is thousands of years, compared to modern medicine. I do not want to denigrate people based on what they believe, it is their tradition. However, with a huge population that is becoming wealthy, it puts a tremendous and devastating strain on wild animal populations. Just witness the issue of the rhino population and the

I've done business throughout Asia for decades, and have had many a conversation about this issue (often over too many gombai's! :D). The traditions die hard. In one of those conversations I talked to a gentleman that had migraines, the doctor recommended the live monkey brain cure you described. He got to the point of starting to spoon the brain, when the monkey screamed and grabbed his leg under the table. He had to leave... and never returned to that doctor. "Western" medicine provided the cure.

My point is simply that we need to have awareness of this issue and guard against allowing poaching with heavy heavy sanctions.

Guest MikeG
1. Unless the "animal parts" can be morphed into some kind of drug in which pharma can benefit, the FDA will never ordain the use of any carcass parts for health-- even especially if it happens to cure something, so we're safe there, or BF is safe there I should say.

I don't think you quite understand. It isn't about what any authorities will allow............it is about what the Chinese, the Vietnamese, the Koreans and others will take. What can they kill and smuggle and get away with? They're a curse in Africa. In South Africa with its sophisticated modern defences and society they are utterly devastating the rhino population. They're not about to stop and ask permission for any of their actions, I promise you.

Mike

Guest Twilight Fan

@ Didi68, excellent post! I agree.

I know that some time ago it was mentioned in a thread on these forums that there is another potential issue with the confirmation of BF as a species, and that will be poaching for the animal parts trade. It is a topic which is difficult for Westerners to wrap our minds around, but much of Asian traditional medicine relies on animal parts and poaching has decimated many rare species around the world to feed this trade.

This is one of the concerns I had as well when I was referring to poaching.

I also think that we should have laws against live capture or keeping BF in captivity of any kind.

As do I. :)

Guest Mudder

There could be hundreds or thousands of silver lining if bigfoot was to be proven. A couple I can think of is medical discoveries & cures, minimizing logging (forcing us to use more recycled materials), and protecting our national forests even moreso (Thank you, Theodore Roosevelt). Maybe then this country could finally make a limit-law for human breeding -- The population is exploding and tearing down the wild woods.

And if BF was to be proven, the government would for sure step in immediately, and I'm 100% sure they'd ban bigfoot hunting and put a stiff penalty on it for doing so. Killing a wild ape-man? -- Come on, us Americans and Canadians aren't like that. Congress goes by what the people want, for the most part, and the people won't want bigfoot hunted. They have laws from everything from fish to squirrels to bears -- Why wouldn't they mandate bigfoot -- And I can gaurantee you that they won't allow for hunting bigfoot unless it was proven that they're a danger to humans or are overpopulated, and I don't see that happening (killing bigfoot) for a few hundred years, if ever.

Is science a bad thing when it comes to anything -- In my opinion, no, not for the most part.

Edited by Mudder

When the BF figure out they are protected they will start raiding grocery and liquor stores. Long John Silvers won't be safe. Candy stores, OMG.

Science is good for everything. Unfortunately it can be made to seem legit when it is not because recipients fail to understand or be hoodwinked with unfamiliar terminology and concepts. Science though finds very little black and white answers and what is one days gospel is just a fad for the future. With scientific proof for existence does Bigfoot run the risk of ending up worse off? Say in a Zoo? I don't think so. I think science would taken DNA only, attrition later on, and study behavior. Then pretty much just monitor the population for health and human influence conflicts.

Guest Mudder

^ Yeah, I don't believe it'd be a zoo animal. I'd assume that there'd be one or two "Bigfoot Research Centers" large enough to keep a bigfoot or BF family happy though (concrete walls and acres of land). For sure though, the first few caught probably would have a lot of room until a bigfoot-proof facility was built.