Is Science Good Or Bad?

Guest Twilight Fan

And when/if they become overpopulated, will it be ethical to kill them?

The bigger question might be: "Who is qualified to determine overpopulation and thereafter grant a right to kill"

Guest Twilight Fan

Well hey, just look at humanity! We are waaaay over the "appropriate population" as far as resources go. But no one has a right to kill us. We shouldn't have a "right" to kill Sasquatch either, if their numbers ever grew to rival ours. (Not saying that would happen of course...just in Hypothetical-Land).

Guest Mudder

Speaking of sticking to the topic, Mike...you just gave me a cooky idea! :)

Question to all: What do yeh reckon' Bigfoot thinks of science? Do you think these creatures have any concept of it, as did some ancient cultures like the Mayans? There is something to ponder...

I'm sure my dog has a concept of our science. For instance, when I grab my .22 pellet gun, he knows that something is about to go down with a "remote control tool of mine" :). "How does he do that," I'm sure my dog is thinking. When it comes to bigfoot, I'm not so sure they grasp "science" as much as humans, but I'm sure they grasp it like we do of the little green men (http://bfro.net/green_men.asp) traveling thousands/millions of light years (if that). Bigfoot doesn't make fires or build log cabins -- That has to show you some aspect of their intelligence (although the arguement can be made-to as they don't need to make fires or shelter).

Edited by MikeG
.....religious and off-topic comments removed

Much of the harm done to specific species of animals by humans does not come from humanity as a whole but small groups of poachers, etc. It's actually people that live right where the endangered animal lives. For example, natives hunt Rhino's for their horn. And that has nothing to do with science its superstitious voodoo witchcraft stuff that people still believe in that drives the trade. In the US actually we have done well with a lot of species. Alligators, the wolf, bald eagle, etc. are all making a resurgence after NOT being protected in prior decades.

In general, though, the way science works is to discover things and make them public. I can not think of a single major scientific discovery that was kept secret. It just doesn't happen that way.

+1 Shelly If we remain ignorant and allow bigfoot to die out through willful ignorance would we be any better than the poachers who might extinct them in greed?

Guest Mudder

In general, though, the way science works is to discover things and make them public. I can not think of a single major scientific discovery that was kept secret. It just doesn't happen that way.

Area 51. And bigfoot.

Speaking of sticking to the topic, Mike...you just gave me a cooky idea! :)

Question to all: What do yeh reckon' Bigfoot thinks of science? Do you think these creatures have any concept of it, as did some ancient cultures like the Mayans? There is something to ponder...

I have a feeling they'd be quite surprised and pretty furious. Who wants to get tranquilized, possibly trapped, and probed for examination?

Guest thermalman

They would have their own understanding of science, but without the terminology or technology. Their's would be a more primal and practical sense of understanding through repetition and simple logic, from learning what works and doesn't work based on their experiences and memory. :)

As portrayed in one of my all time favorite movies. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082484/

Edited by thermalman