Friend Or Foe?

Guest VioletX

As BobbyO mentioned in the second post. There's bad apples in every bunch.

This is an interesting doc. to watch.

Is Sasquatch Eating Our Kids?...not saying they are. It's just food for thought.

Edited by toejam

Guest OntarioSquatch

There's so much misinformation. Any large species that can avoid us like this can easily abduct the random hiker and no one would ever know about it, unless maybe the information on missing persons cases is put together and searched for any odd patterns. Wouldn't it be an even bigger shocker if Sasquatch are human? It may be easy to brush aside right now, but try again when Dr. Brian Sykes or Dr. Ketchum deliver the truth.

Almost everything pointed out as "unusual" in the first part that vid are actually normal (if counterintuitive) behaviors by persons lost in the wilderness.

<sigh>

People do need to be made aware of how dangerous the wilderness/outdoors is...no need for a bogeyman. Although there in fact might be one...

Would it be the job of the Park Service to keep missing persons data, or is that under the purview of local law enforcement? You would think that it would be the feds (jurisdictionally) but....we also know how efficient federal bureaucracies are...

BUT if local authorities are keeping the missing persons data, I could see why the Park Service would not. Maybe it should, and this is not a "conspiracy" but another example of bureaucratic shortcoming (sort of like seeing a conspiracy for 9/11 in the absolute failures by the gov't administrations that led up to it)...IMO, it would make more sense to let localities deal with that kind of thing, so the lack of info from the feds is surprising, but not really.

AND...

Sunday Sunday Sunday!...see the bloodthirsty Genoskwa!

Really? really?

And did that occult dude really mention smegma? :)

Hey, I am all about the ties between wildmen in the historical record and various native traditions, but...

I am sure the truth is somewhere in the middle ground, as bipedalist noted...

The wilderness is a harsh environment. Anything can happen out there.

I had an incident that opened my eyes last trip. I was jumping on a tree I'd just axed trying to loosen it up from being hung up.

It was sitting at maybe a 65 degree angle. It gave and I took a stumble landing on my back, thankfully a soft landing. Point being I could have been impaled.

Can happen too easy when you're not taking proper care at all times.

You know how they say you can't predict how a wild animal will act--or even a domesticated animal, really? Well, if you don't 'really know what species an animal belongs to--a very large animal, at that, and no one knows that much about it really, all bets are off.

Upshot is, you can't predict their behavior, so you have to be prepared to take your cue from them. I guess.

I live right below the Sierra Nevada, so they are common here. I just drive around or look on Google Earth for spots with road access. year-round water, tall leafy trees, and food supply, I leave right away if shadowed or I feel unwelcome. I ske-daddle. I never go out of sight of my car--don't have to, either. I have heard wood knocks, whistles, been spoken to once, and seen many structures up in trees. I go unarmed, but am thinking of buying a gun but would leave it in the car. So I guess that tells you how I feel.

Guest thermalman

I would also dare to say that psychos or human predators are more of a threat in isolated areas than the local wildlife. Animals are not diabolical, just instinctive. :hunter:

Edited by thermalman

Guest thermalman

A very good one. Mine retailed for $8500, and I love it. If you want a couple of websites to visit to buy some good secondhand ones, PM me. Thermal cameras in the bush would give you plenty of advanced notice of any threats.....animal or human.

Edited by thermalman

BFF members- to answer the original question but in responce to Bobby O, I believe just like (humans) it would be prudent to react to the BF in a way that fits the circumstances. With that said you need to know this, from most obseservations the BF insists on being in control just like you need to be in control in your living room.

In reponce to bipedalist but which is not part of the question, BF are curious. I had my first ear-encounter with BF(s) will I was on crutches in a national park. I believe that the BF(s) were curious as to what the crutches thing was all about and that being curious shows that they are an intelligent reasoning being. we never felt friegtened but if a bear per say demended to the right of way I am sure we would of exited stage right ASAP! But it all dpends on ones own determination on how much you think you need to push the envelope as far as distance between.

TM, I was looking at some really radical binocs. They have super zoom, flir or night vision, video and still capability and a laser to determine distance to an object....that unit was like 16K

Guest BastetsCat

Friendly or aggressive? I think that it varies from one to the next. Some of them can make you feel okay and somewhat safe; others make you want to run away screaming.

There is something in the eyes that seems intelligent...having seen several set of eyes looking at me I can relate to the fear. Intelligence in any animal is what makes it scary. Not that shapeshifters are relevant to BF but; werewolves were scary to many ancestoral tribes around the world because they were human intelligence mixed with a wolves strength and speed and a voracious apetite for blood and meat. Take away the human intelligence and you just have an animal acting on instinct to feed itself. Wolves in a pack are viscious and gory killers of their prey. Still scary and not something you want to be in the middle of. You can rationalize that a wolf can not open a door and will not look in a window or chase your car to your house....not so with BF.

They are unexplained. You see something like that and your mind knows immediatley that it isn't right. That causes a reaction in the brain that causes fear in and of itself. There is a tall hairy human shaped creature with intelligent eyes looking at me. Walking around in the woods, looking in windows, running across the road.....ect. I have never run across a bear in the woods and thought it would follow me home; I have seen plenty of BF and wanted to hide when I got home; feeling that it knew where my home was.

I have stood in the woods and felt the presence of a mountain lion and gotten chills before I ever saw the feline. I assume though I do not know because I lived to remember it that the mountain lion was watching me. It may have been thinking that I would make a nice toy. It may have just been watching me. I have also felt the same chill when watching or observing BF or just being where I knew there were BF.