Friend Or Foe?

Guest VioletX

Guest thermalman

TM, I was looking at some really radical binocs. They have super zoom, flir or night vision, video and still capability and a laser to determine distance to an object....that unit was like 16K

Can they record the events?

Guest BastetsCat

In regaurd to fight or flight...in Colorado we have black bears. They will run or flee if they encounter a human. It is not because they have seen humans kill and rationalize that people can kill them. It is to protect themselves. It is theorized that in any encounter a bear will flee if it feels it can; fight if it can not or feels threatened. Very rarely do bears have bad encounters with humans if we give them the space to get away.

I personally have witnessed three black bears in Vail Colorado in public town settings surrounded by people. The bears always took stage right while the people shocked and in awe stood in absolute fear matched only by the fear in the bear. That was the people that saw the bear. The ones that didn't see it were more freaked out that they had been that close to one and then feared for their lives when they learned of the proximity. I was within a few feet of one and it looked at me and ran right on by.

The bear could have killed or maimed anyone but chose to run. It was more interested in the food smells and eating than in people.

The other two bears ran right through the crowds of people like a dog. Most of the people that I spoke to thought it was a large dog running down the street. One in front of the Ritz in Lionshead and another in the Gold peak area near the Christiana Lodge.

Point one. Curiosity gets animals fed. Omnivores anyway.

Point two. All animals will run from you. It is a self protective reaction that keeps them alive.

Three bears do not make me an expert. I have learned my whole life that bears are not scary but treat them with respect. Don't crowd them and they are not pets. I would not approach one. I have deveoloped a similar stance on BF.

Deer have the same flee instinct. But the ones that live near a house and a family are less likey to run from that family if they do not harrass it. I had lots of deer a few years ago when I had horses. They would come in and steal the hay and eat with the horses. I could get within twenty feet of them and they would stand and watch me...when friends would come over and help me with the feeding when I got injured the deer fled. They didn't know the scent or the sight of the new people.

I would no more chase a bear into the woods when it wanted to escape than I would chase a BF. I think that you have to respect their need or want to escape and give them that choice. Either way I don't think that BF should be approached anymore than I think people should try to pet bears.

Edited by BastetsCat

• 1 year later...

I agree with those last two posts of BastetsCat. Very well written, Imo :good:                                                                                                                                                                

In regaurd to fight or flight...in Colorado we have black bears. They will run or flee if they encounter a human. It is not because they have seen humans kill and rationalize that people can kill them. It is to protect themselves. It is theorized that in any encounter a bear will flee if it feels it can; fight if it can not or feels threatened. Very rarely do bears have bad encounters with humans if we give them the space to get away.

I personally have witnessed three black bears in Vail Colorado in public town settings surrounded by people. The bears always took stage right while the people shocked and in awe stood in absolute fear matched only by the fear in the bear. That was the people that saw the bear. The ones that didn't see it were more freaked out that they had been that close to one and then feared for their lives when they learned of the proximity. I was within a few feet of one and it looked at me and ran right on by.

The bear could have killed or maimed anyone but chose to run. It was more interested in the food smells and eating than in people.

The other two bears ran right through the crowds of people like a dog. Most of the people that I spoke to thought it was a large dog running down the street. One in front of the Ritz in Lionshead and another in the Gold peak area near the Christiana Lodge.

Point one. Curiosity gets animals fed. Omnivores anyway.

Point two. All animals will run from you. It is a self protective reaction that keeps them alive.

Three bears do not make me an expert. I have learned my whole life that bears are not scary but treat them with respect. Don't crowd them and they are not pets. I would not approach one. I have deveoloped a similar stance on BF.

Deer have the same flee instinct. But the ones that live near a house and a family are less likey to run from that family if they do not harrass it. I had lots of deer a few years ago when I had horses. They would come in and steal the hay and eat with the horses. I could get within twenty feet of them and they would stand and watch me...when friends would come over and help me with the feeding when I got injured the deer fled. They didn't know the scent or the sight of the new people.

I would no more chase a bear into the woods when it wanted to escape than I would chase a BF. I think that you have to respect their need or want to escape and give them that choice. Either way I don't think that BF should be approached anymore than I think people should try to pet bears.

But Bigfoots are different ,why? they will just stand there and not move at all at times. My first encounter was just like that, it just stood there and did not move,even if i walked up to it. But yes ,you are right most animals will flee unless there is a problem with them.

I think trying to stereo-type all Bigfoot subjects as being good, bad or the ugly is not sensible. What we do know is there are a number of Native American tribe that lists these subjects as cannibal giants. Too many for this to be just nonsense history. In times of dire need, even civilized humans have resorted to this repulsive act.

I know from personal experience under unique circumstances, these subjects might be trusted if it is to their advantage. In the whole picture of things, they don't need us, nor do they want to establish any kind of social bond with us, plain and simple and will do anything to avoid this from happening.

It is this secretive stealthy mode that has never had me completely comfortable out there...fear of the unknown...

Violet,

With repeated contact over time, I have become more convinced that BF has more than an ape mentality.  For example, one night I was out smoking my cigar within view of our water trough.  After more than an hour, they did something on the other side of the house that got my wife's attention.  She called me into the house and told me what happened.  I went out front and looked around.  Nothing out of the ordinary was there.  It was about 1am.  I believe they wanted access to the water trough, and they thought of a good way to get it.  They didn't threaten anyone.  They just steered me away so they could drink.  I thought it was very well thought out.  I am fairly comfortable with the BF here.  They have been here for years. 

In my mind, this level of thought, means that they are more like us than anything else.  That level of intelligence combined with their senses and physical ability gives you a very capable predator.  Just as there is variable behavior in humans, I think the same is likely true with BF.  

I agree with what many have already said, you just can't tell in the short term if they are friend or foe.  The same is true of people.  My recommendation:  Be respectful, non-hostile, don't bring small children, don't be alone on their turf, leave if they want you to leave, and be prepared to defend yourself should you run into the worst.