How'd They Get To Australia?

Guest toejam

Guest toejam

This question has bugged me for some time. They have the Yowie. This species is spread far and wide.

Did they swim across the ocean? I doubt it. What does that mean? How and when did they get there?

I speak in terms of existence. The question isn't if they exist then how'd they get there? The question is how'd they get there?

Would this put the species in the time of Pangea?

Sharks have been on the scene for over 400 million years, correct?

Is is feasible that this species could have survived a catastrophic mass extinction?

I believe them to be an ancient species. The question is how old?

So far I haven't seen anyone step up to the plate and give a good explanation for their existence down under.

Edited by toejam

Guest spurfoot

It is not necessary to go back to the era of Pangea. During past ice ages the sea level was far lower, sometimes as much as a 100 meters lower. That means in many cases Australia was connected to other islands and even via them to the mainland. This would imply that BF would need to be at least roughly 10000 yrs in Australia.

Guest ajciani

Well, you could always have googled "land bridge Australia".

10,000 years ago, yowies probably just walked from Asia to Australia.

Even today, it would probably be and easy swim for them. Most crossings are no more than 15 miles between long islands. The yowies would just need enough of an impetus to swim to the next island.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prehistory_of_Australia

The sharing of animal and plant species between Australia-New Guinea and nearby Indonesian islands is another consequence of the early land bridges, which closed when sea levels rose with the end of the last glacial period. The sea level stabilised to near its present levels about 6000 years ago, flooding the land bridge between Australia and New Guinea.

Even today, it would probably be and easy swim for them. Most crossings are no more than 15 miles between long islands.

15 miles an easy swim!!!!!!!!! OK, I know the USA wins everything in the Olympic pool, but even your best swimmers would think a while before tackling a 15 mile open-water swim surrounded by jellyfish and sharks.

Mike

SSR Team

I wonder if on the Yowie boards members ask " I wonder how they got to North America ? " .. :D

Guest poignant

Wrong. It's 'Bering'

Basically with Sundaland and lower sea levels around the PNG area, they just had to walk across mudflats and beaches.

Guest BFSleuth

15 miles an easy swim!!!!!!!!! OK, I know the USA wins everything in the Olympic pool, but even your best swimmers would think a while before tackling a 15 mile open-water swim surrounded by jellyfish and sharks.

There are a number of sightings of bigfoot swimming in open water, like this one off the coast of Oregon, swimming with seals. I can't find the reference but there was a sighting from a ferry where several passengers saw a BF swimming from the Olympic Peninsula to Whidbey Island, a distance of several miles in very strong currents. Other sightings up in the channel islands off the coast of BC have also been reported.

Regarding the danger of sharks... well, maybe the BF go out there "trolling" for sharks... :D

Guest poignant

Rhettman Mullis sighted one swimming between victoria and the olympic peninsula. The landing beach on the olympic peninsula supposedly has mounds where those who did not survive the swim were buried. Last I heard he's trying to get a dig going.

Guest BFSleuth

^^ Swimming from Vancouver Island to the Olympic Peninsula is 10-12 miles in a straight line at the narrowest areas, but the currents are very swift with the tides.