Operation Persistence

Guest Luckyfoot

Okieman- you are correct about shooting a non-game animal in Texas. However isn't that just on private property. States have enacted regulations for their own state but if states do not regulate it reverts back to the USF&W mandates. As stated it would be prudent to check with your perticular state and see what flys.

If tbrc , myself, Rick Dyer, anyone openly hunting a bigfoot for type specimen , brought one in with a hole between it's eyes, I have extreme doubt that we would be charged by any law enforcement entity. No matter what you interpret as whatever law in whatever state- exceptions can and will be made.

IMHO.

Please show me where a TBRC member bragged that this is all tax deductable and they can buy all kinds of cools toys and write it off.

I'm pretty sure someone brought this up several weeks ago (about the tax issues) here and Bipto answered this very well. Maybe Fuzzy you can find this but it seems like more and more issues keep getting rehashed by people that don't keep up very well.

And...? I don't understand your point. Are you suggesting the TBRC is in for the moolah?

No. I am suggesting that you, with your radio pipes, and charming personality would be the one raking in the dough.

I'm pretty sure someone brought this up several weeks ago (about the tax issues) here and Bipto answered this very well. Maybe Fuzzy you can find this but it seems like more and more issues keep getting rehashed by people that don't keep up very well.

Bipto was joking, when Irish said some complimentary things about Bipto's sense of humor. Someone asked how much Bipto was paying Irish to say that, and Bipto said "It's Tax Deductible".

• Upvote 1

Someone even bragged about how it's all tax decuctible. Get to buy all kinds of cool toys and play in the woods, and write it all off.

Bragged? It's a statement of fact. We're a registered 501©3 and contributions are tax deductible. However, the net benefit of any deductions taken by members is not that significant. Speaking for myself, I don't even bother taking them. The large amount of personal time dedicated to the work isn't deductible, for example. As far as I know, few if any are taking deductions on equipment they buy personally because to do so would require it become the property of the TBRC. Most of the TBRC equipment is purchased through group funds, the majority of which are derived through member dues (also tax deductible).

But don't let that get in the way of your vision of us gallivanting through the woods playing with toys purchased by Uncle Same if that's your thing.

No. I am suggesting that you, with your radio pipes, and charming personality would be the one raking in the dough.

Maybe I could get a gig reporting traffic on a Houston AM station.

If tbrc , myself, Rick Dyer, anyone openly hunting a bigfoot for type specimen , brought one in with a hole between it's eyes, I have extreme doubt that we would be charged by any law enforcement entity. No matter what you interpret as whatever law in whatever state- exceptions can and will be made.

IMHO.

More or less, that's my position. The enormity of the scientific discovery would outweigh any attempt to extend existing law to cover the collection of the specimen.

Edited by bipto

Well if you get one right between the eyes I guess it will be hard to tell from the remaining brain goo, just how smart it was. :D

But on the offchance it turns nasty, have your lawyer dispute whether the alleged victim was a "legal person" and thus subject to protection under law, or "existing" in the eyes of the law.

annnnd... get on with it, if great ape personhood movements get legal recognition in any state, it's gonna get difficult.

As stated it would be prudent to check with your perticular state and see what flys.

In what way? Every single time an official is asked if shooting a wood ape would be a problem, they say no. Because they don't exist. So how are we to "see what flies?"

More or less, that's my position. The enormity of the scientific discovery would outweigh any attempt to extend existing law to cover the collection of the specimen.

Well that's hoping it gets into the hands of science before it gets into the hands of the legal system. If it's in the hands of the legal system, and they took a few samples, took a few photos, then cremated it because it wouldn't fit in a morgue locker, you might be in a sticky sitch.

Just to revisit this for a moment. If I really and truly wanted to, I could be surfing this bigfoot media craze as we speak. As I said before, the TBRC has turned away literally dozens (I swear) of television inquiries. The come in all the time through our website and I'm the guy who answers them. As hard as it may be for some to accept, this is not about fame, fortune, or anything other than establishing the animal. If we wanted to see our mugs on the television, we'd be there. Right now. But we're not because we don't. Collecting a specimen isn't a career move for any of us. It's not a premeditated act to leverage our brand. Does that mean there won't be opportunities to help fund the group's work after the fact? Of course. But that's then and this is now. We aren't banking (literally) on any of that.

I understand that, however on the podcast, you said something like "even if I did want the fame and fortune, I can't think of where the money would come from" I was answering that point.

Flashman- you are right, how in the world can the scientific world examine and/or study a BF which has been disemembered and classify SO that an appropriate level of protection can be mediated. Until then also that is the main reason behind federal mandates that protect unclassified and/or endangered species. As far as legal personage, that is a process that proceeds after much study. I remember when the Pine Marten was discovered to have set up camp in N. Ca. back in the late 70's. Guidelines were established for scientific study WITH permits only and hunting regulations were adopted with input from the USF&W service to keep the general public out of the areas that they were discovered living in. Today there in a very viable population of Pine Marten living in the N. Siskiyou Mtns. And as stated the USF&W service has mandates today agianst shooting of non-game animals. States still can adopt their own regualations but very rarely are contrary to federal guidelines.

Guest Luckyfoot

Flashman- you are right, how in the world can the scientific world examine and/or study a BF which has been disemembered

Seriously what makes you think they couldn't ? Flashman didn't have any point at all. He just pointed out that if I hit it in the head the brain might be gooey. While that is true - there still would be a whole animal with a gooey brain to further prove it's existence. If I hit it in the heart, Well then there would still be a whole animal and parts of a heart to study.

I think it's somewhat ridiculous that y'all ASSUME "science" would need a whole 'holeless' example. I would think a scientist would be competent to examine a dead body in parts, or riddled with bullet holes.

The rest of yur post was answered prior. Exceptions can and will be made.

I understand that, however on the podcast, you said something like "even if I did want the fame and fortune, I can't think of where the money would come from" I was answering that point.

Maybe you can be my agent when the time comes.

I think it's somewhat ridiculous that y'all ASSUME "science" would need a whole 'holeless' example. I would think a scientist would be competent to examine a dead body in parts, or riddled with bullet holes.

I think "science" would be thrilled to find a single tooth, let alone a more or less intact carcass.

Well if you can remember that when the gun jams and buttstroke it across the chops ...

Though that might be a worthy objective for habituators when they think they've got a group with juvies.... attempt to trade for baby teeth...