Operation Persistence

Well if it didn't go down with a tranq shot it can be followed with another, or patience and tracking, or lead . My pride in my marksmanship is not bravado. I am not pro kill and would like to offer another option because I do believe Bipto and respect his efforts in the BF arena beyond words. We need the kind of evidence a body provides.

My experiences with the animal lead me to believe it is worth the extra effort to save one of their lives if possible. It is beyond time for a higher level of evidence. They have a very real opportunity at bringing that in.

That and killing one is gonna do them some mental harm =( They may/may not be human but it is so close as to count. They understand the concept of counting coup. I think they are where the Native Americans learned the tradition from. My experiences have shown me that they choose to do symbolic gestures such as this. If they are that enlightened in conflict how can we not try to be as enlightened?

That is all

BFF Patron

I can agree with the "counting coup" part. Real life lessons and all :scout: .

Yeah, wouldn't want to accidentily kill one with an overdose.... Seriously? You will sling lead but don't want to risk a tranq shot?

The point is, those who suggest tranquilizers are doing so because they're trying to find a way to document the animal without killing one. One of the many issues with trying to tranquilize a huge animal has to do with dosage and the possibility that the animal would die anyway. The TBRC is not pursuing any option that include tranquilizers for this and the other reasons I've posted on earlier in this thread.

They understand the concept of counting coup. I think they are where the Native Americans learned the tradition from.

I can agree with the "counting coup" part. Real life lessons and all :scout: .

Very interesting, is that what cabin or trailer slapping is all about? Any threads on this in non-premium?

Bipto- the point is this, you might consider taking along a couple differant doses of trank with you. If you do not overdose the BF the scientific community would glean alot more study. I do not buy the notion that the BF would die anyways, peroid. I am not going to speculate your organizations motives but the "it would die anyways" doesn't fly. As stated before a non-game animal is protected by the USF&W unless specifically allowed under state regs. All natural resourses belong to the federal government. Killing a BF would seem to be the very, very last course of action and then only in defense. Why take the rouge path and kill an invaluable scientific resourse. certainly wouldn't be in the name of science. Just saying.

Why take the rouge path and kill an invaluable scientific resourse. certainly wouldn't be in the name of science. Just saying.

I think what you all are missing is that tranquilizing a wild animal is not a sure thing, or even a safe thing. Different species react to different drugs in many ways, and in some species there can be drastically different reactions among individuals to the same drug, and at different dosages. This is well established in domestic animals, and known to be the case in some wild animals. So, it is just not an issue of dosage, but an issue of what drug will be effective, and how effective is it among individuals of the species, and at what dosages, etc. Since we know absolutely nothing about what drugs are effective with sasquatch, and how effective each is, and in what dosage range, etc. tranquilizing one becomes a totally unpredictable action. It just cannot be done right now, with our current state of knowledge. I, for one, wouldn't want to risk my safety (and the target animal's safety) on trying this. This will only be possible once we know anything about their physiology, and there appears to be only way to start down that path...

So why stand there with a single shot weapon? I know it's been done back when your ghillie used to have a half dozen smoothbores loaded up for you ready to hand over. But dart rifles aren't exactly coming in cereal boxes, hell even little plastic gorillas aren't even coming in cereal boxes any more.

.... and what if we just wanna kill one because they've been in league with the scofftics so long?

Tranquilizer? If you don't care if you kill it and go ahead on guesswork, I guess you better hope you gave too much trank, not too little. Wouldn't do to have it wake up too early. And you will also hope it was alone. What are the odds on that? About 50-50? I am just guessing, and my life won't depend on it, so what the heck.

I say put out some apple juice mixed with corn liquor and see if they won't tranquilize themselves.

My thing with this is that if they are so sure that they are ape and that they have already been shooting at it why stop.If you have a clear shot to pop one of these creatures then take it and bring it in..Let science sort it out after wards and keep the shooter a secret.The only way that this will ever be proven will be a dead one or a live captured one and the odds of getting a live one well ? thats i think of that.Take the shot and follow it with a second to make sure it is dead other words you are going to be in a world of hurt.Just my suggestion and by the way the ones in Texas are very aggressive and will put a hurt .

As someone who has long been in the "no kill" camp, I have come around to the decision that for the purpose of collecting a specimen for scientific research it would be better to kill one, mostly because I think it would actually be kinder to the BF than to keep it penned up for the remainder of it's life.

And as someone who once had the job of anaesthetisizing animals on a daily basis, Bipto is correct that there are too many variables in attempting to do so with an unknown quantity such as a BF. Especially when it comes to keeping it anaesthetisized. You don't want it waking up too soon and therefore any anesthesia would need to be maintained, which again would be a variable to consider.

Ketamine would probably be the drug used I'm guessing, though my knowledge in the area is severely dated, but if you had ever seen the violent fits of some animals coming out from under that particular drug, the wild eyes, flopping like a fish on dry land, vocalizations and trying to get out of their enclosure, it would become clear why that is not a good idea. In a case of an animal such as BF and trying to get it to an area readied to confine it, you would be running a big risk, betting your own life even.

The idea of having multiple dosage darts doesn't make sense. If we take sighting reports at face value, the amount of time of the average sighting doesn't really allow you the time to estimate weight, dig through your bag of darts for the right one, load, aim, fire. No way.