Why Do They Hide From Us?

I was wondering what some members opinions are on why Sasquatch hide from man. I believe they're afraid of us after watching us kill, from large game to each other. We are killing machines when you think about it. We had weapons for many years that I don't believe Sasquatch ever needed or even tried to develop.

If everyone that saw me either screamed and ran away or shot at me, I would probably avoid being seen if I could. It's not easy being big and ugly, and covered with hair..... too much rejection.

Guest BastetsCat

LOL that video is funny. They guy gets in moneymakers face and he talks to him...the woman gets in his face and he gets snotty and rude. I would get along with him for all of two seconds....I am female.

Anyway. Why do they hide? Because they are ambush predetors. It is what they do. Why hang out where you can leave yourself vulnerable. All animals have a fight or flight response to some extent. Even bears run away. Crocodiles hide, mountain lions hide; if you see it, it is not likely the one that is going to get you. Just my opinion.

Guest OntarioSquatch

I think it's pretty clear by now they are highly intelligent and don't want us to know they exist. Observations from the TBRC, Olympic & Erickson Project strongly suggest they are careful not to leave tracks and effectively avoid trailcams. Which I agree with :)

Guest mdhunter

Indie and Wud I don't care who you are, that right there was funny.

Therm I agree with ya'. But it could certainly be compounded by what Indie and Wud posted. Especially if fairly intelligent.

Why wouldn't they hide from us? We destroy, kill and make of mess of the planet.

We're a bunch of cockroaches from a distant perspective, slowly (maybe not so) eating everything in sight.

I think your right TJ, not so much now but we soiled their drinking water for years. We have a history of killing everything and lots of the time it's for pleasure. We don't use the whole animal like the Indians did.

My take on this is that through hundreds of thousand of years of evolution these critters have learn how to avoid us, the most sucessful hunters on the planet. But not just we homo sapiens, but likely home erectus too. Juveniles that don't follow the rules aren't just punished harshly by their parents, rather they end up dead and don't reproduce. Eons of this behavior and eventually it gets into the DNA. Watch the Mike Greene thermal footage or review Bart Curtino's thermal sighting. These creatures hide...at NIGHT. These are very paranoid creatures. There are no defectors because they were bred out a long time ago.

I think many of the ones we see are bold males, and they let us see them for whatever reason, some sort of bigfoot "manhood" test (so to speak). Or perhaps just something they do for thrills and entertainment. Some of them have to be rebellious of their cultural ways and even their genetic programming. Why do young men ride motorcycles 150 miles per hour, or jump out of planes...it's the thrills, the adrenaline rush. Maybe young male BF get the same rush.

Then there are the ones we see by accident, the hunter spots one by surprise because he was being stealthy. The quiet hiker that crosses paths with one. We share the same spaces and even with their genetic avoidance behavior we do cross paths once in a while. Look at PGF, they were on horseback in the middle of no where and they spooked a female.

Then occasionally we cross into their territory and they get us out by passive tactics; screams, yells, throwing rocks. Rarely do they confront us. They don't fight us, because in the long run they will lose. I doubt they think about it, but instinctively they flee instead of fight. Sure 1:1 they can easily dispatch a human, but they dare not confront our tribe.

Guest Eopithecus

Every native peoples of the last 10,000 years were "modern humans".

Your statement really sounds kinda racist.

So who were these alleged "modern humans" that were more modern than anyone else?

Going with 'It's a wild animal"

Squirrels don't care because, their squirrely.

Lions don't care because they are just familiar with people filming them and don't care.

Tigers.. well they tend to be harder to find, even the forest elephants in both Africa and India can be hard to find.

Gorillas can be hard to find if the park rangers don't keep constant contact.

Cougars are hard to find, typically it requires hunting dogs to track them down.

So.. Squatch? We appear to see them from time to time.

It's probably just built in to avoid being seen.

I didn't mean to sound racist in any sort of way.

Was rather being sarcastic of people who feel justified in killing anyone different from themselves and then daring to call themselves better. The "modern" humans were those who thought that might equals right and assumed superiority over anyone who defied them. A good read is "1491 - New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus" by Charles C. Mann. I was just thinking that if I were a hominid living in the woods, I'd stay away from us, too. I don't think humans are inherently violent, I think it's a learned behavior caused by cultural insanity.

And I know perfectly well that Homo sapiens sapiens have been around for 200,000 years, thanks.

I don't know quite what to think about Todd Standing, but I do like his phrase "daywatchers" to describe those sasquatches that are seen who may be acting as look-outs to protect their groups. Those are who I think we see most often, those watchers.

I've gotta go to work. Later.

Guest craichead

If I can allow myself to wildly speculate about a creature we know almost nothing about:

I think it's two things-

First, I think that as ambush predators, hiding is their natural predilection -- just like leopards run and fish swim, bigfoots hide and wait.

The second thing is that we're big magic to them. Imagine a semi-intelligent species that lives completely in the wild observing the one creature that can kill and harm without touching (talking guns here) and sometimes from incredible distances. They don't know how we do it and they don't know exactly what guns are or how they're different from any other man made item we carry in our hands. All they know is we somehow have an incredible magical ability to hunt and kill without touching the animal. To a creature who preys and kills intimately with a blow to the head this must be bib medicine indeed.