Why Do They Hide From Us?

This is a similar topic to a past one and I'll answer this one close as I can remember. If I was a hairy person watching all the killing and maiming going on throughout history, I'd stay away as far as possible too. I'm sure they watched us from the sidelines and seen all sorts of cruelty and mayhem. They seem to only hunt what they need and the little bit that they steal from the fields is no big deal.

Humans are worth avoiding if possible. It isnt hiding as much as avoidance. They will see, hear, smell or feel you in some way long before you notice them. It is their home.

The answer is that the are one of the few creatures on this earth that are intelligent enough to recognize us for what we are. Killers/Hunters. And really the only one true threat to their existance. They've learned to use every tool at their disposal to avoid detection by us. Im sure its something they learn when very young, and carry thoughout their lives.

Not all that long ago moden humans were even more savage in their ways. The number of species we've to hunted to extinction is probably massive. Im sure it didnt take long for something with intelligence to figure out that humans = bad news.

It saddens me that the other giant animals on this earth dont share that same view. I would imagine there would be a whole lot more lions/tigers/elephants/rhinos in the world if they were better at hiding, or would run and not stop the second they caught a whiff of our smell.

This is a great topic, we found they seem to stay just close enough to keep an eye on us and just far enough away to not be seen. We dont have to go to the deepest darkest areas to find sign. The idea they are not trying to avoid at all costs is to me abit disturbing. They seem to be very patient and wait for a choice opportunity to approach closer, why i dont know.

Guest MrMudder

I purposely try to hide from people when primitive camping, and I'm not even a bigfoot :).

I even go as far to use a camo cover over my tent, and dress in full camo (unless it's deer season -- then I wear a safety orange hat). I even painted my cooler & camp totes & camp toolbox in a camo fashion. No reason why somebody should see me chilling out by the river w/ a couple cold ones & a fishing pole & my temporary nylon home :).

I'm sure Biggie feels the same way. Meaning, WHY NOT hide from you all? :)

Edited by MrMudder

If they avoid us, I don't blame them.

The creature I'm most afraid to encounter in the woods are other people. Did you see the movie Deliverance?

I agree with Oregonman that it is evolved behavior over a very long period of time that has made BF take pause and avoid man. I suspect that learned behavior has accelerated with the advent of firearms.

An observant BF, watching from a distance, hears the deafening blast of a high-powered rifle and then sees a deer fall 300 yards away. BF realizes very quickly he's no longer the king of Skull Island.