Eyeshine

Ok, I am here to learn about bigfoot, and some of the reports I read and hear mention eyeshine as evidence of a bigfoot being present.

Why are people convinced that this is a property of its eye structure, when the organ that causes it in other animals is largely missing in primates (we certainly do not have it), and only really appears in lower primates such as Lorises and Lemurs?

I am not criticising peoples experiences at all - I am not in the position to do that, it is just my curiosity as to why Bigfoot would have it (its called the Tapetum Lucidum by the way) and primates either side of it (if you consider us as higher on the evolutionary tree!) do not have it.

Hope you experts have opinions / facts for me!

Many thanks for your time!

Paul

grifta-

Excellent question.

What you will probably be told, is that Bigfoot has evolved to have a Tapetum Lucidum, and/or that you can't prove it doesn't have one.

What I think, is that in some cases of misidentification, the person is really looking at an owl, or a raccoon, perched eight feet up in a tree.

Once a few of these reports start making it into the database, then the ones making up stories start adding it as an attribute, and the reports that are based on a sleep hallucination incorporate this feature into their experience in the subconscious.

Edited by Drew

I can't say for sure if they are true or not, but such reports do exist, and if true, point to something other than a tapetum lucidum.

Edited by Bonehead74

If bigfoot exists and does have a tapetum lucidum, then they probably didn't evolve it. More likely it would be a reactivated dormant gene inherited from a pre-ape ancestor. Apes lost them then bigfoot got them back when they went nocturnal. It would be interesting to see if we have the genetic code for a TL and it's just been shut off. We don't tend to lose features, instead they get modified or go dormant. Like our body hair, for example.

BFF Patron

I can assure you the hundreds of examples of eyeshine/glow in John Green's database and the many other hundreds or thousands of other reports of self'luminous or eyeshine events are not all owls or crocodiles as some would have you believe. There are up close witnesses that know what they are looking at is a bipedal organism with head and shoulders moving with unusual eyes.

The red eye thing has bothered me. I know for a fact their eyes dont glow in the dark, any color, period. If I ever get a bright light on one at night I will definitely look for eyeshine.

Guest Transformer

If bigfoot exists and does have a tapetum lucidum, then they probably didn't evolve it. More likely it would be a reactivated dormant gene inherited from a pre-ape ancestor. Apes lost them then bigfoot got them back when they went nocturnal. It would be interesting to see if we have the genetic code for a TL and it's just been shut off. We don't tend to lose features, instead they get modified or go dormant. Like our body hair, for example.

That is an excellent observation that takes the science into account perfectly. +1

BFF Patron

The red eye thing has bothered me. I know for a fact their eyes dont glow in the dark, any color, period. If I ever get a bright light on one at night I will definitely look for eyeshine.

John Green's data and my personal fact=based observations speak differently to the matter. So much for facts. And yes, more colors than red (green in the case I personally observed).

Edited by bipedalist

Fact based observation? Glowing eyes? Sorry not another special power please! Infrasound, zapping, mind reading/implanting of thoughts and UFO's? That is where glowing eyes on a primate lead you. To whacky town.

That is all I can say without insulting. Never seen anything in pictures, film or reality that makes me think any animal, sasquatch included can have glowing eyes.

Edited by Woodswalker

All I have to say is this is a species unlike any other and an open mind is the only way to move forward in their classification. Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction.

Guest mdhunter

Read my post in the other eyeshine thread. Rabbits are an example of an animal with no tapetum that can exhibit eye glow. Cavies are an example of a rodent ( although tapetum has appeared in one breed strangely ) If you google image search " cavy ruby eye cast " You can see a couple freakish eyes.I did a little more reading on this since I posted in the last thread and can show with the dilute gene also. We don't do dilutes.

I've been digging through some of our pics of rabbits to try to find an example. Unfortunately most of our pics are of them posed with their heads covered.

In Herriot's (spelling) ,they talked about glowing red eyes. I can't see it in the video compared to what they saw.But I know what I've seen in A 1/2" rabbit eye, stretch that out to a BF sized eye and it would be freaky.

It doesn't show well with rabbits in pics either. But it is documented and known.To a biologist or somebody experienced with this it is probably barely noticed because they know what they are looking at. But I've listened to people not familiar with animals say"Look at that rabbits eyes glow, look they are glowing, how do they do that?" I spend five days in our county fairs rabbit/poultry barn working every year. Some of the comments I hear are quite amusing.

From my understanding eyes aren't all that different amongst species. So what I don't understand is why some people are so quick to jump off a cliff without at least doing some basic research on eyes ? This is not meant as an attack on anybody, more trying to provoke thought.

John Green's data and my personal fact=based observations speak differently to the matter. So much for facts. And yes, more colors than red (green in the case I personally observed).

I've seen silvery blue, my bro saw amber, which would be yellowish-orange, if you check. Friends have seen red. And for the record, if you see one in the daylight, their eye sockets are very, very large.