Wild Bigfoot

See-Te-Cah NC

Didn't say they don't have the desire for warmth or shelter. I said they don't have the need for supplemental heat and artificial shelter, at least in my mostly maritime climate - and if they do they can find a cave or make a nest, not a McMansion.

They don't have the ABILITY to do these things because they don't NEED to do these things.

I have no ability to fly a plane, if I want to go somewhere, I buy a plane ticket and essentially hire a pilot. I have no need for such skills, they are not something I need in my lifestyle, even though every once in a while I like to go far away.

I question why you believe Sasquatch are wild and uncivilized... is it because they don't use tools (often) or have weapons or build shelters? Or because they don't have clothing and agriculture and have needs similar to ours? They don't look or act like you/HSS?

They don't NEED any of these things. They have no need of shelter, light, heat, security, food storage, formal education, trade, or transportation. They don't need to carry anything, they don't need tools or weapons and they don't need art or adornment. They are completely self sufficient and well matched in their environment.

HSS is the inferior ape physically - we need all the above mentioned things (and call them "culture") in order to survive. Drop us into the forest naked and we die off because we are ill adapted to our world - I don't know how this can be called a more successful species. Calling them uncivilized and wild because they will get by just fine is making negative judgments of a most positive natural adaptation compared to HSS. We ARE superior intellectually - we have had to be to survive and that is our only advantage over them, other than the fact that there is little competition between our two species because we occupy two completely different habitats and so we don't run into each other all that often. We each fit our niche.

They do not need our lifestyle and the accomodations of "civilization" - their food hunting & gathering is likely their first priority (physical survival), followed by social life, just like apes and monkeys, maybe more (and Jane Goodall speculates that chimps have some feelings of a kind of primitive spirituality). Speculation, of course - but what do you do after you've gotten enough to eat and you have no need of shelter, jobs/work, home upkeep, cooking etc). You have free time for the pursuit of happiness.

Not saying they are "better" than us, just very very different, with different priorities. They have their own civilization and have no need of ours because it does not/would not/could not meet their needs. Ours meets ours and theirs meets theirs. One is not better than the other, just different.

For the record, I didn't make the post you're responding to.

^Phenomenon that popped up starting back in the 90s when we got lots and lots of people making big bucks fast (often through less than honorable means such as "house flipping", get-rich-quick scams, etc). They wanted to show off, but didn't quite have enough to afford the old-school mansions that exist.

So they went to places like Florida and started building big, gaudy "look at me!" houses by the 100s. These houses, seeming to have become as ubiquitous as McDonalds, got dubbed "McMansions".

The term obviously is derisive. It implies "tacky", "tasteless", "high money/low class", and a raft of other things.

Guest wudewasa

I'm rereading a book clled "1491," and Mann discusses the transition from stone age axes to modern steel ones among native Amazonian peoples. He believes that the slash and burn agricultural practice became popular after the introduction of the steel axe, as previous technologies simply couldn't clear the forest as quickly and efficiently.

A simple tool can change a culture overnight, case in point

Guest BFSleuth

Has anyone seen the study of domestication of foxes? It only takes a few generations before their appearance begins to change dramatically, with new colorations and some changes to body shape. Now this is a species that has been apparently very stable in appearance and structure for millenia, but under controlled conditions their behavior and physical attributes began to change in a very short time span.

Compare this to the human condition and you see that as we started using footwear, for example, the bones in our feet began to become more delicate. I think we also had more hair on our bodies until we started wearing clothes. If foxes can start making changes just in a very few generations through the process of domestication, then the changes to the human body and behavior could be dramatic over the course of the last few thousand (or tens of thousands) of years. In effect, we became self domesticated.

It may be that BF is simply a more wild version of us. However, I think it is more likely that they are indeed a separate but closely related species.

LOL What is a McMansion???

My interpretation of this is the large tracts of homes being built in the decade leading up to the collapse of 2008. Large tracts of homes from $600,000 to $1,000,000 all side by side, being sold with "liars loans". 4000 square feet or more. The big, boxy looking things, with three car garages full of stuff and all the cars parked outside.

Guest wudewasa

Has anyone seen the study of domestication of foxes? It only takes a few generations before their appearance begins to change dramatically, with new colorations and some changes to body shape. Now this is a species that has been apparently very stable in appearance and structure for millenia, but under controlled conditions their behavior and physical attributes began to change in a very short time span.

My interpretation of this is the large tracts of homes being built in the decade leading up to the collapse of 2008. Large tracts of homes from $600,000 to $1,000,000 all side by side, being sold with "liars loans". 4000 square feet or more. The big, boxy looking things, with three car garages full of stuff and all the cars parked outside.

Yup, the Belyaev experiments. Ray Coppinger addreses dog domestication from an evolutionary approach by examining several scenarios.

Liar loans indeed, combined with consumer entitlement and instant gratification, things were doomed from the start.

All this talk of Mcthis an Mcthat is makin' me Mchungry...haven't had McyD's in months !

:bbq: Mcneeds me a...Beer-B-Q ! ha ! ha !

Pat...

Hey that pretty much describes all of my clients' homes LOL And, from a contractors POV these homes were often built in a haste and here we are 10-15 years later with cracked brickwork, sunken sidewalks and driveways, doors that won't close properly. I show up and get asked "Is there any way you can fix that without tearing the whole house down?" Yeah, I know the houses you mean now LOL Thanks Mulder, BF and Madison for answering me :)

Guest wudewasa

Along the McMansion idea, has anyone ever been to one of these gated communities where homes are sequestered away from society and lie devoid of human habitation due to seasonal occupancy and foreclosure?

I visited my friend in Western NC, and at the time, they were residing in such a McMansion that belonged to their inlaws. It was amazing to see these vulgar displays of opulence that littered the surrounding landscape, so many for sale/foreclosed upon. My friend said that such places are a haven for meth heads, who break in to the house and cook their drugs. I can believe it, due to the isolation and easy accessibility of the properties.

When my friend was away at work one night, his wife was putting her daughter to bed on the bottom floor of the house and the light from the sliding glass door was blocked by a large form. When she turned around, the figure vanished. Several weeks later, my friend heard someone moving around on their deck at night. Who/whatever it was was smart to run off quickly as they would have been shot.

So, was it a bigfoot, meth, head or bear? Franklin WNC has reports of all three species!

I'm thinking a sasquatch would likely stay clear of houses; especially a housing development such as the one you described; save for the possibility of an unattended grill. A bear might hang out IF there was a dumpster containing food nearby--I've seen them be quite inconsiderate of yard cleanliness when they're hungry. My vote would be someone checking it out, saw the woman through the glass and darted. Meth or otherwise would be speculation of motive IMO.

Guest BFSleuth

Perhaps we should start a McMansions thread in the Tar Pit...

.... back to the discussion of Wild Bigfoot...

Yup, the Belyaev experiments. Ray Coppinger addreses dog domestication from an evolutionary approach by examining several scenarios.

Speciation in nature happens when populations of a particular species become separated. The natural process of mutations develop in each population to the point they become separate species. Humans have sped up this process process by directing the selection from generation to generation to develop new breeds of animals and to develop new varieties of plants, artificially separating populations.

As humans developed technology such as clothing, tools, agriculture, etc. and expanded our range to include a wide variety of climates we have an affect on our own selection. I'm sure that if we had not used clothing, for example, our bodies would be very different right now (not to mention the range we would be capable of living in). I've often wondered whether our skin might be thicker and more durable and if we would have much more hair if we hadn't used clothing for thousands of generations.