Wild Bigfoot

See-Te-Cah NC

Guest wudewasa

As I've noted before, we are at the top of the food chain... until the bullets run out.... ;)

Well said!

Technology has always aided humans to succeed as a species, regardless of terrain and climate. It has been theorized that modern humans dominated and outcompeted neanderthals because of superior firepower. While neanderthals has short stabbing spears, modern humand had long spears or darts that they could throw at greater distances using the atlatl. Because the "up close and personal approach" risked injury/death, neanderthals subjected themselves to unnecessary perils, leading to lesser reproductive fitness and survival when compared to modern humans.

Guest JenJen of Oldstones

I don't think we'll be at the tippy top of the food chain when the grid failure happens.

Big Ginger - I can't believe you lumped atheists in with Jeffrey Dahmer and Hitler-types! Really???

@ JenJen - nope, no lumping here. I am not a lumper by assumption or otherwise. Each of those examples are stand alone. Just addressing what I read in a sentence.

Guest wudewasa

I don't think we'll be at the tippy top of the food chain when the grid failure happens.

Depends on the individual/group. The people who depend onWalmart for everything and are tied to mobility scooters and smart phones won't last long, but there are field savvy folks who will hang on for a while and possible survive. Granted, the population of our species will plummet quickly, but we have have always been a resilient lot!

Edited by wudewasa

You are so, so right jenjen.

I am working on starting a business to help people turn their property/homes/houses etc into homesteads, no matter how "mini" it is. I am putting forth systems replacement and supplementation and it's horrifying to realize just how dependent we have become upon the utility grid for our daily lives. Everything is run by either gas, oil or electricity. Without these tools, the grand experiment of civilization will come crashing down in 3 days... which is the average amount of food an average family has in their home. Three days and most of civilization in the modern world is done.

Read up on the Carrington Event, and know a solar flare of the same magnitude is a certainty at some point. A certainty.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_storm_of_1859

http://www.energybulletin.net/stories/2011-06-19/solar-storms-emp-and-future-grid

Then we all better hope we're as well adapted and have the appropriate tools and food making/storing processes to survive as well as bigfoot does.

We were also walking upright millions of years before we started using tools. But, I will go look into what you said. Thank you for your reply. This is all so fascinating to me.

It's been good in one way, in that we have wildly succeeded in proliferating. However, I don't see us having the intelligence to STOP growing on our own. All evidence is to the contrary.

I must respectfully disagree entirely. We have known what we are doing for decades and instead of slowing down and building with wisdom, we have ramped up the destruction. Though I do think the whole concept of permaculture is a most excellent development. Anyway, I don't think we have much common opinion and to each his own.

I suppose I am just more optimistic than some. True we have been aware of many of these problems for a few decades. Progress is slow when there are so many disparate and outright contradictory groups of people. Many humans are still immersed in "primitive" cultures and are still unaware of the dangers of overpopulation and traditional ways of life. And then there are also people who for lack of a better word are selfish. I see no reason for pessimism regarding the improvement of the ecosystem or the human condition. We aren't all bad and we can and do learn. Good things usually take time.

True about solar storms. Not enough attention is being focussed on that.

When I read reports of sightings that say these creatures look so human-like it makes me uncomfortable. Uncomfortable in that if they are higher order like us does that mean they struggle in their existence? That thought is sad.

All life is a battle against entropy; thus, all forms of life struggle in their existence.

So ture Pteronarcyd - just sad to think that if these creatures have a higer brain order they could emotionally feel it. I wonder about this as well when I read the reports that suggest they watch humans (like the current one that says a resting place was found that was within range to see into several rooms in a home so is assumed the humans were being watched). If this is the case I wonder the reason for the curiosity of humans if not to learn more about us. That goes beyond the curiosity of lower animals, I think anyway. I mean, hey, my dog watches me as I eat but after it is gone doesn't care what I do much after that. (cue those that will come say it is predation :) )

It suggests they may watch us for many of the same reasons we look for them. That suggests similar thinking, that may suggest similar emotional patterns.

Thanks for listening :)

All life is a battle against entropy; thus, all forms of life struggle in their existence.

Which makes it doubly weird that life exists at all , much less intelligent life - order from chaos? Life from inanimate objects? And yet, the bias towards life in the face of the fact of entropy is there. Weird stuff when you think of it, huh? How did two (or more) intelligent species end up on the same planet?

BigGinger, I first met my family of BF while they were watching kids. I am sure they enjoy watching the interactions and fun.... I wonder what their social life is like so often and I'd really, really like to know. So many hints and glimpses, so few facts.

@madison5716, I have never experienced any type of encounter so find the events others share fascinating. I'd ask you a few questions but don't want to hijack the thread. Thanks for sharing.

I place BF in the homo genus, and closer to us than the common ancestor with the chimps, but probably a bit of a branch off... Human or not? I think they will be.

Now, we talk of the grid failing or a catastrophic event putting us "back in the stone age". That is, we lose culture big time, survivors are too busy surviving. My working theory is that this is pretty much what has happened to BF in the fairly recent past. Their apocalypse was the overhunting, overlogging etc that left North America with few forests and little game in the late 19th early 20th century. This I think hugely bottlenecked the BF population. Some island populations survived though. Some kept some "culture" as far as it went, and some became cultureless. The range in culture seemed to be from "close to the most primitive human tribes" to apelike troops, with minimum culture. Anyway, during the pinch point I think a lot of BF forgot how to be BF, thus when the game situation turned around by the 40s and 50s and the population increased they were getting seen more, after a very "slow" period of sightings. Go back to the 1880s and earlier, and start looking at the "wildman" etc reports, and you'll find them using clubs, carrying skins, and other such behaviour. Well not in every case but far more common than currently reported. Anyway, the situation today is I think that different areas have BF of different cultures, though it might never have been the case that the culture was homogenous, never has been completely so with modern humans.

My working theory is that this is pretty much what has happened to BF in the fairly recent past. Their apocalypse was the overhunting, overlogging etc that left North America with few forests and little game in the late 19th early 20th century. This I think hugely bottlenecked the BF population. Some island populations survived though. Some kept some "culture" as far as it went, and some became cultureless. The range in culture seemed to be from "close to the most primitive human tribes" to apelike troops, with minimum culture. Anyway, during the pinch point I think a lot of BF forgot how to be BF, thus when the game situation turned around by the 40s and 50s and the population increased they were getting seen more, after a very "slow" period of sightings. Go back to the 1880s and earlier, and start looking at the "wildman" etc reports, and you'll find them using clubs, carrying skins, and other such behaviour. Well not in every case but far more common than currently reported. Anyway, the situation today is I think that different areas have BF of different cultures, though it might never have been the case that the culture was homogenous, never has been completely so with modern humans.

Interesting theory. Mine is that when Europeans came to the America's and brought their diseases with them, did they decimate bigfoot populations as much as First Nation aka Native American populations? Are we looking at a small population of survivors from a few hundred years ago who survived or were immune?

That's a good point also, I also wonder how much of a buffer the native americans were as the Europeans advanced across the continent. Also have the idea that the east coast areas as Europeans found them, were managed by the native americans in a way that was not attractive to BF habitation. I have heard it said that it was kind of parkland forest with trees thinned out and underbrush burned frequently, making a great habitat for deer, but not so much for anything that wanted a bit of cover.

That's an interesting bit of info Flashman, I never thought of that but I bet it is true! Might even at least part ways explain why most BF sightings were in the pacific NW until more recently.

Madison, I'm wondering about the disease scenario, though. Most diseases aren't cross infected; you can't get distemper from a cat, etc.....so how close to humans genetically would a sasquatch have to be in order for your theory to be true?