Why We Don't Hear The Little Ones

Guest VioletX

Guest VioletX

Thanks Indie, what a strange experience. I think I would like to hear your child humming recording ;)

It was a bear. :)

I have heard they sound like babies...

Indiefoot, I said that in jest, as it's a usual reply from those who dismiss everything BF related, and usually by saying "It's a bear".

Guest SquatchinNY

I have not experienced it myself, but another researcher said he heard a juvy BF making a quiet vocalization and he decided to copy the call, but real loud. A BF charged and picked him out of the group of people that was there. One of the guys fired his gun above the head of the BF, but it still kept coming. The researcher jumped in a truck and took off and the BF chased after him. He came back hours later and went to take a pee at night and he said a huge hand covered the small of his back and grabbed him. He screamed and the hand let him go.

How much of it is true, if any of it. I don't know. But I do know that the call he used is the best ever to get return BF/unknown vocals.

OOPS!!!!

Guest VioletX

Indiefoot, I said that in jest, as it's a usual reply from those who dismiss everything BF related, and usually by saying "It's a bear".

Doh! I did not realize you were joking ; )

A friend got into a situation where he could see a baby in the brush. The baby started crying and making whimpering noises because it wanted its mother. The mother could be heard (if I remember correctly) and maybe even seen at this point. The friend tried to comfort the baby by raising his voice and saying things like "it's OK, I'm not gonna hurt you" but hairy baby wanted its Mom. The friend was between both of them but more of a triangular situation.

Happy ending, baby and Mom are ok and everybody went home and changed their underwear.

Why we don't hear the little ones?

My guess would be that we do, but like what apehuman said, we will force fit those sounds to any other animal we would rather believe. That being said, on three different occasions I've heard and recorded responses to calls that nearly defy what a coyote can do while mixed with what a coyote can do. It is a particular two syllable call that sounds like yaaaahhhooooo like the screaming voice of a child. One of these repeated as though it was singing and musicly inclined. I think such sounds are often attributed to coyotes also credited as the trickster.

^ SqNY...oops is right!

Indie..nice post. At my site Ravens rather than crows are common. And do afford great "cover" for mimics as their vocal range is great and noisy and often ignored by us. I want to throw this out just for fun as I cannot take it further than I represent it, one of those things that will remain unknown but remembered My last trip to site I was in an area with lots of fresh bear and cougar signs Over the four years (besides the overt Whistle Serenade thing and a few other nighttime direct bird type communications) I began to notice that my hiking alone was often accompanied by a bird that seemed to follow me. It wasn't always the same bird each hike, but the consistent thing was "a bird" followed me and vocalized to the extent of my hike and return to camp. Odd, birds do response call and can be territorial, but once out of their range they don't care about you anymore...odd, to have one care so much to follow me... anyway.... on this day an unseen raven called every now and then,never answered by another except me. Intermittent, nothing in the alarm call category or territorial raven behavior, and I didn't spot it flying. anyway..... as I am photographing some fresh bear scat a Raven calls from about 60 or so yards away at the treeline and up the slope. I absentmindedly called back. Nothing more, just that one rather short "caw." But, within just a minute I heard some noise and look over in the general direction to see a black bear about 35 yards from me and on the run down slope, with just about 10 feet to flat ground...and nothing between us but this tiny old apple tree....yikes! I turned on heel, called out loudly, and walked fairly briskly away...not looking back (no desire to face a mauling!) When I turned back to look, now across the creek and maybe 75 yards from the tree I could not see the bear and you know all was fine, just a very good adrenaline rush! But, now I do wonder if I hadn't been warned by that single Raven call. If a real raven I would expect more than one call as they do announce any predators with some big shows because they are scavengers......either way though a reminder to listen to the birds! They might be trying to tell you something..lol...

Guest VioletX

A friend got into a situation where he could see a baby in the brush. The baby started crying and making whimpering noises because it wanted its mother. The mother could be heard (if I remember correctly) and maybe even seen at this point. The friend tried to comfort the baby by raising his voice and saying things like "it's OK, I'm not gonna hurt you" but hairy baby wanted its Mom. The friend was between both of them but more of a triangular situation.

Happy ending, baby and Mom are ok and everybody went home and changed their underwear.

Nice story! Do you know what the Mom's reaction was? Maybe she was not threatened if your friend had a soothing demeaner.

Why we don't hear the little ones?

My guess would be that we do, but like what apehuman said, we will force fit those sounds to any other animal we would rather believe. That being said, on three different occasions I've heard and recorded responses to calls that nearly defy what a coyote can do while mixed with what a coyote can do. It is a particular two syllable call that sounds like yaaaahhhooooo like the screaming voice of a child. One of these repeated as though it was singing and musicly inclined. I think such sounds are often attributed to coyotes also credited as the trickster.

That would be very cool to her Southern Yahoo, I guess the Coyote and Squatch are partnering in the trickery.

Apehuman- Interesting story, you were lucky with that bear. Who knows??? I was also thinking Raven could be an animal totem for you.

But I will stop there, so far many could make fodder of most of this thread,lol!

Apehuman and voiletx- My first ear encounter with BF was the sound of a peacock ddep in the redwood forest however it was very very loud. It was follow by a series of tongue pops; IMO to soft to be wood knocks, sounded biological.

Guest VioletX

That redfox would definitely make me think twice, not to the extant that I would think it was a human or BF baby, but I would be confused and would ponder the possibilities...I guess you really have to be out there enough to be familiar with wild life sounds.

The squirrel sounded very Squirelly to me ; )

Thanks Cervelo!

Apehuman and voiletx- My first ear encounter with BF was the sound of a peacock ddep in the redwood forest however it was very very loud. It was follow by a series of tongue pops; IMO to soft to be wood knocks, sounded biological.

If that is the case, it sounds like BF are big time pranksters.

VioletX- BF have been known to mimic many differant animals and I think it is to confuse close encounters. I don't know how to post reports otherwise I would try to give you examples, but there are many reports of possible BF deceptions.

Ape- was there any mimics on the Arizona site you experienced?