Why We Don't Hear The Little Ones

Guest VioletX

Good point ptanigier, and my sound recordings of what I initially thought "wood-knocking" I now feel are biological too....a clucking of sorts, popping sound of mouth...Ravens can make that sound actually.....wouldn't it be ironic if BFs were imitating Ravens clucking (often come in sets of two) not knowing we misinterpret as wood-knocks and sign of BF...lol , or as many skeptics can only see ...actually Ravens..and so on.

I am trying to become conversant at a consumer level in the sound analysis software, very slow, but until behavioral field notes of "birds" or whatever sound one is following are accepted from BFers (LOL) to consider in understanding differences with the actual species..well one must find objective evidence, and I am hoping it's there somewhere in the sonograms...but not too hopeful (my skills poor in sound analysis) without the hurdle of "Bigfoot are real" being overcome...except among those who also find this inquiry potentially productive..

Violet you do bring up a good point...both Raven and Coyote are often identified as tricksters in NA tradition...obvious both highly intelligent animals...so in the natural world it makes sense, but add the confusion of BFs mimicking .and that would really explain it! I do enjoy revisiting old ideas with this new reality....so many avenues of inquiry.

Here is an interesting recording that I think addresses directly the coyote synergism thing...or mix... I don't have an answer for this recording...but I can say there is an active coyote pack in this area and also an active BF presence.

use headphones.

<iframe width="100%" height="166" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="http://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapi.soundcloud.com%2Ftracks%2F65006866%3Fsecret_token%3Ds-m15oR&show_artwork=true&secret_url=true"></iframe>

another BF researcher did then an isolation of the four whoops and it's that skill level I need to get to ...and then what? still a tough sell, but I find it very informative and personally rewarding...a love of the sounds of the forest..and night world has fallen on me in all of this

<iframe width="100%" height="166" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="http://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapi.soundcloud.com%2Ftracks%2F65006497%3Fsecret_token%3Ds-L8pUi&show_artwork=true&secret_url=true"></iframe>

part of the problem is as poster above adds video...many animals are poorly understood at the minutia of sound and their range of voice....especially some of the night birds. Cornell's nature sound library and others, now with this unbelievable digital internet, are expanding fast....but this type of conversation on sound, with no proven BF, shall always be fodder for cattle...let them eat it...I feel more like the farmer placing the fodder in the bins.. or some such terrible metaphor...

BFF Patron

I have not experienced it myself, but another researcher said he heard a juvy BF making a quiet vocalization and he decided to copy the call, but real loud. A BF charged and picked him out of the group of people that was there. One of the guys fired his gun above the head of the BF, but it still kept coming. The researcher jumped in a truck and took off and the BF chased after him. He came back hours later and went to take a pee at night and he said a huge hand covered the small of his back and grabbed him. He screamed and the hand let him go.

How much of it is true, if any of it. I don't know. But I do know that the call he used is the best ever to get return BF/unknown vocals.

Thus the reason I personally discourage researchers from approximating or using "baby" sounds in their research. It's like throwing rocks at cars to see if you can hit a windshield and don't think about what happens if you smash one out....the end result.

ptangier...absolutely a knock your socks off, nothing else but a BF (or possibly human or Gray parrot - and both below IMO any real probability) could have done...and in context that overwhelmingly points to BF...but I don't want to retype here...look in habituating for short version in reply to a Chris Noel post. I do have a formal long version written up, so that's yours if you want it, email me.

Have you heard that audio of the little voice saying "mommy? mommmmyyy?" And there's a second audio of a cry/whine. Both just creeped me out bigtime. There are native american stories that say if you hear little ones in the woods, do NOT go investigate - I would imagine it's because if you come between a bigfoot mother and it's little ones, it will not have a good outcome for you.

Guest poignant

Why we don't hear the little ones?

Cos such behavior would be evolutionarily selected AGAINST?

Thinking about it, human babies bawl without remorse or reservation when in need of attention. Do animal babies behave likewise if predation was a real threat?

I'm asking out of ignorance.

I think sasquatch sounds and behavior does mimic other animals in their social order, in part because even humans will behave differently according to the environment they grow up in. In that respect I think sometimes you can hear a whole family group sound off, and the little ones will join in, not unlike a coyote pack..

Guest BFSleuth

I think you are correct regarding noise being selected out of the gene pool for wild animals. Certainly prey species young ones know to be silent and hide (like fawns in the grass). Even predator species will shut up and hide or climb a tree, like bear cubs, at the first sign of danger.

On the other hand, many species have calls from mother to offspring and back that are used for location. I've read sighting reports that note vocal interaction between mother BF and juveniles or play behavior, when the witness has not been observed by the BF's.

Regarding the question of the OP it could very well be that most people are simply unaware of how to classify certain sounds and aren't curious enough to investigate. It may be possible that juvenile vocalizations are heard but are simply an unknown and curious sound in the woods.

Guest VioletX

Curious recordings ApeHuman...I don't know if this point if I could tell the difference between a whoop and another animal, I am glad some of you have been out in the woods with your ears open so we can benefit from your knowledge. : )

The first researcher I contacted said that he thought I might found a parent teaching a juvenile to hunt in a "safe" area and interrupted their lesson by adding my whistle to theirs. Thought that was an intriguing idea!

Edited by madison5716

The coyote chorus seems to cover other sounds at times, the question I have is how often are no coyotes involved. Like hiding in a crowd.

I have a thought that human babies in western cultures are carried around a lot less than BF might... some other cultures it's common to carry the child more, in a sling or papoose type thing... I would assume the incidence of crying is less for children that are carried around during daily activities...

I carried mine in a sling for most of the first year and he was a very quiet happy baby. They like when they are included in daily activities - gives them live interactions and lots of things to look at. Plus they learn behavior and the rules of conversation that way.