The Bones Debate

Guest Tsalagi

For all the people who live or journey out in the woods when is the last time you came across bear bones in the woods? I should specifically ask this of people that live near the Smokies because its frequently announced that we have more black bears here than have ever been here in the past due to people not hunting them for food anymore. Yet with all these bears people seldom see a bear and never find bear bones. So if you don't ever come across remains of one of the most abundant animals in the forest what is the mathematical probability of running into remains of one of the rarest creatures? It complicates matters even more if they bury or eat their dead.

That said there have been reports of bones of "giant men" over the centuries. There are old accounts of Indian tribes who have remains of giant men and there are more modern day reports of bones thought to be Bigfoot. Its not commonplace, but there are reports. I wouldn't doubt if the Smithsonian had BF bones somewhere in their collection of prehistoric or Indian remains and didn't even know they had it. They have thousands of items in storage that are never displayed.

For all the people who live or journey out in the woods when is the last time you came across bear bones in the woods? I should specifically ask this of people that live near the Smokies because its frequently announced that we have more black bears here than have ever been here in the past due to people not hunting them for food anymore. Yet with all these bears people seldom see a bear and never find bear bones. So if you don't ever come across remains of one of the most abundant animals in the forest what is the mathematical probability of running into remains of one of the rarest creatures? It complicates matters even more if they bury or eat their dead.

That said there have been reports of bones of "giant men" over the centuries. There are old accounts of Indian tribes who have remains of giant men and there are more modern day reports of bones thought to be Bigfoot. Its not commonplace, but there are reports. I wouldn't doubt if the Smithsonian had BF bones somewhere in their collection of prehistoric or Indian remains and didn't even know they had it. They have thousands of items in storage that are never displayed.

Google can be your friend...

Article about ancient bear bones.

40,000-year-old bear skeleton found in Scottish cave

cavex.th.jpg

Some other bear bones...

bearsti.th.jpg

2671447106dc20fc20e2o.th.jpg

335089.th.jpg

962254196b1d384675fz.th.jpg

deadbearonthesideofthet.th.jpg

enigma6.th.jpg

dscf3797a.th.jpg

img0114jx.th.jpg

Some bears about to be bones...

3960541013dcbdef1044z.th.jpg

deadbear.th.jpg

werewolf2z.th.jpg

Some bears that may leave bones behind...

20081203011.th.jpg

cutebabyblackbear18883.th.jpg

grteblackbearcopy2.th.jpg

hwbslide45fs800.th.jpg

This one might be a distant relative of the Jacob's Sasquatch...

bearwithnofur11.th.jpg

Well, I've shown you mine. Now, you show me yours. ;)

Guest tasmanian tiger

Maybe it is a conspiracy from the government to keep the existence of BF secret . They could observe the territory of BF and if they find bones they could store them in secret storages.

Guest Tsalagi

Google can be your friend...

Article about ancient bear bones.

40,000-year-old bear skeleton found in Scottish cave

cavex.th.jpg

Some other bear bones...

bearsti.th.jpg

2671447106dc20fc20e2o.th.jpg

335089.th.jpg

962254196b1d384675fz.th.jpg

deadbearonthesideofthet.th.jpg

enigma6.th.jpg

dscf3797a.th.jpg

img0114jx.th.jpg

You totally misunderstand my point. Sure on GOOGLE YOU can find pics of bear bones. Sure some people have found them...but have YOU PERSONALLY ever found a bear skeleton in the woods? Many people don't ever even see a live bear in the woods let alone a dead one. It took 41 years before I ever saw a LIVE Bear in the Smokies despite even staying with my aunt and uncle in summers at their campground that was known for having bear visits lol. In fact the first two live bears I ever saw had made it into town. Now I've never found a bear skeleton and come to think of it the only skeletons I've ever found anywhere in the wilderness were poached elk and javelina. My point is very few people ever come across even a bear skeleton in the woods so the chances of coming across a Bigfoot skeleton is slim to none especially with all the scavengers that take off with the parts. Someone may have come across bones of Bigfoot and not known what they were. There are bone reports going back to early days when people actually lived out in the woods for long periods and would have better opportunity to come across such before a scavenger got it. Now let's see YOUR OWN PERSONALLY FOUND COLLECTION OF BEAR BONES YOU FOUND OUT IN WILDERNESS. What you don't have one? Well very few people do because very few people ever come across bones of any kind...so you expect people to find bones of Bigfoot in order to prove their existence.

Maybe they dispose corpses in bodies of water, like bogs. I wonder if hot springs degrade bones. I think they might be able to get away with just dying like regular animals do.

Edited by Carl

You totally misunderstand my point. Sure on GOOGLE YOU can find pics of bear bones. Sure some people have found them...but have YOU PERSONALLY ever found a bear skeleton in the woods? Many people don't ever even see a live bear in the woods let alone a dead one. It took 41 years before I ever saw a LIVE Bear in the Smokies despite even staying with my aunt and uncle in summers at their campground that was known for having bear visits lol. In fact the first two live bears I ever saw had made it into town. Now I've never found a bear skeleton and come to think of it the only skeletons I've ever found anywhere in the wilderness were poached elk and javelina. My point is very few people ever come across even a bear skeleton in the woods so the chances of coming across a Bigfoot skeleton is slim to none especially with all the scavengers that take off with the parts. Someone may have come across bones of Bigfoot and not known what they were. There are bone reports going back to early days when people actually lived out in the woods for long periods and would have better opportunity to come across such before a scavenger got it. Now let's see YOUR OWN PERSONALLY FOUND COLLECTION OF BEAR BONES YOU FOUND OUT IN WILDERNESS. What you don't have one? Well very few people do because very few people ever come across bones of any kind...so you expect people to find bones of Bigfoot in order to prove their existence.

You may be right that I am totally missing your point. Personally, I have seen about a handful of bears out in the wild before I even learned how to drive and believe me I wasn’t even out looking for them. I’ve also seen a number of bones while out about in the forest, ranging from small sizes such as that of lizard and birds to larger sizes which may have been of bears or mountain lions. Do I have a collection of these bones to share here? No I don’t. Actually I don’t have any collection of bones. One may find that surprising considering I have eaten a number of chicken wings throughout my lifetime but it is something I am simply not interested in collecting. You will have to take me on my word that I have seen such bones or not, I would hardly find the latter surprising at all. I don’t take many people’s stores of seeing a large hairy biped roaming the forest of North America seriously either.

If you are someone who rarely goes out in to the forest, and when they do stays close to well-known trails and those over populated campgrounds during the summer I would not expect you to see many bears or any skeleton of any large animals for that matter. Forest rangers are not going to let the large carcass of any creature simply rot and decompose to bones for you to see anywhere near such places because of the fear it may attract other large living mammals that may then decide to snack on a fresher pile of meat.

These days I‘ll admit that I don’t spend my summers out camping in the woods with my cousins and uncles like I used to when I was younger. Lately I’ve been spending most of my summers surfing the internet, dining out and watching movies at the mall. Do I find it surprising that I don’t see any bear bones let alone any bears on the few occasions that I do stop by a wooden area these days? Hardly.

The estimated population of black bears spread out across the United States excluding Alaska is around 200,000. Now, when you consider the estimated population of people living in the City of New York alone is over 8 million, 200,000 hardly sounds like such an “abundant†figure. Add to the fact that most people spend most of their day at home or at work, and the few that do find time to travel to one of the National Parks hardly ever wanders far from a beaten trail, is it really any wonder that the majority of Americans have never stumbled across a set of bear bones left out in the open?

I know a number of people who have never even seen a bear in the zoo, let alone in the wild. However, I would assume that they are well aware that in certain parts of the country there are many out there. Though one such as yourself has never seen the bones of a bear in the forest, I am sure there are plenty of people who have gone out in to the woods looking for them who have found them as evident by these pictures and the collections of bear bones in a number of natural history museums. Of course I may be assuming that the majority of the ancient bear bones found were from bears that actually once lived in a forest and weren’t raised in some traveling carny. However, I find the latter highly unlikely.

Personally, the notion that there are “no†or “hardly any†bones of bears to be found in the forest is absurd. People have found bones of bears long ago and they are still finding bones of bears to this day of modern and ancient bears. Does finding no bones of a creature such as Bigfoot undoubtedly prove that it doesn’t exist? Eh... maybe not. Does it go against the argument that one does exist? Definitely.

So, if you are not willing to show me yours, then maybe you can show me someone else’s document collection of “proven†Bigfoot bones.

Maybe they dispose corpses in bodies of water, like bogs. I wonder if hot springs degrade bones. I think they might be able to get away with just dying like regular animals do.

I find it highly unlikely to be of any significant concern. Especially, when you consider the acidic nature of tar pits and the fact that many fossilized bones have been pulled out them such as the one in La Brea, California.

Guest Tsalagi

You may be right that I am totally missing your point. Personally, I have seen about a handful of bears out in the wild before I even learned how to drive and believe me I wasn’t even out looking for them. I’ve also seen a number of bones while out about in the forest, ranging from small sizes such as that of lizard and birds to larger sizes which may have been of bears or mountain lions. Do I have a collection of these bones to share here? No I don’t. Actually I don’t have any collection of bones. One may find that surprising considering I have eaten a number of chicken wings throughout my lifetime but it is something I am simply not interested in collecting. You will have to take me on my word that I have seen such bones or not, I would hardly find the latter surprising at all. I don’t take many people’s stores of seeing a large hairy biped roaming the forest of North America seriously either.

If you are someone who rarely goes out in to the forest, and when they do stays close to well-known trails and those over populated campgrounds during the summer I would not expect you to see many bears or any skeleton of any large animals for that matter. Forest rangers are not going to let the large carcass of any creature simply rot and decompose to bones for you to see anywhere near such places because of the fear it may attract other large living mammals that may then decide to snack on a fresher pile of meat.

These days I‘ll admit that I don’t spend my summers out camping in the woods with my cousins and uncles like I used to when I was younger. Lately I’ve been spending most of my summers surfing the internet, dining out and watching movies at the mall. Do I find it surprising that I don’t see any bear bones let alone any bears on the few occasions that I do stop by a wooden area these days? Hardly.

The estimated population of black bears spread out across the United States excluding Alaska is around 200,000. Now, when you consider the estimated population of people living in the City of New York alone is over 8 million, 200,000 hardly sounds like such an “abundant†figure. Add to the fact that most people spend most of their day at home or at work, and the few that do find time to travel to one of the National Parks hardly ever wanders far from a beaten trail, is it really any wonder that the majority of Americans have never stumbled across a set of bear bones left out in the open?

I know a number of people who have never even seen a bear in the zoo, let alone in the wild. However, I would assume that they are well aware that in certain parts of the country there are many out there. Though one such as yourself has never seen the bones of a bear in the forest, I am sure there are plenty of people who have gone out in to the woods looking for them who have found them as evident by these pictures and the collections of bear bones in a number of natural history museums. Of course I may be assuming that the majority of the ancient bear bones found were from bears that actually once lived in a forest and weren’t raised in some traveling carny. However, I find the latter highly unlikely.

Personally, the notion that there are “no†or “hardly any†bones of bears to be found in the forest is absurd. People have found bones of bears long ago and they are still finding bones of bears to this day of modern and ancient bears. Does finding no bones of a creature such as Bigfoot undoubtedly prove that it doesn’t exist? Eh... maybe not. Does it go against the argument that one does exist? Definitely.

So, if you are not willing to show me yours, then maybe you can show me someone else’s document collection of “proven†Bigfoot bones.

I didn't mean I expected you to have a collection of bear bones, but photos of bear bones yes if you think they are so easy to find. Instead you post photos of other peoples finds. Just for the record I haven't been out hiking strictly park service groomed trails that might have the bones taken away, but you do make a good point. Where I've lived was complete wilderness and no marked trails, no park service, a few of the areas where there was no indication other people had gone. In fact it was so remote when I first moved out west we used to hike topless (female), me and a friend, never ran into anyone. Also didn't find any animal bones in those untouched wilderness areas aside from two elk antlers. In the East I have also been places in mountains where park service wasn't maintaining including some private wooded areas nearby which is where I had my Class A.

Hey maybe that stink Bigfoot is known for is really their rotting carcass?

Guest rockinkt

I have found bones of bears numerous times - from nearly complete skeletons to skulls and parts thereof. Same as other big-game species.

The "unable to find big-game bones in the wild" is just another canard that has been said so many times - others take it at face value.

I believe bigfoot bury their dead family members. You hear of multiple reports of bigfoot dragging/carrying off their wounded and dead. (Think Humphreys cabin siege in oklahoma.) ( the louisiana hunt) as well as other reports similar.

Thom Powell's book the locals has a section talking about a little girl who lived in the country and was deaf. She had lots of interactions with a family of bigfoot, Because she was deaf and quite alone in her affliction, she had no idea that other people did not know these creatures as she knew them.

She witnessed a mother bigfoot burying a dead youngster up under an outcropping in the woods behind her farm house. In the book she described it as a cave, but she said that was only because that is how it appeared to her as a youngster. After A long discussion with Thom about it, he put me in contact with her. She drew me a map of where her old farmstead used to be, it has since became delapidated and torn down. She also drew an x in the approximate location she remembers the youngster being buried in relation to the old foundation of her old home. Her family was just renting this little house surrounded by corn fields and woods. She went back some years ago and saw it was gone. But the foundation still remained.

Come to find out it is less than 2 or 3 hours east of me, at the edge of the Mark twain national forest in Missouri. This took place more than 35 years ago. This lady is a professor at a college for the deaf. I have the map and the emails. I am most certain she saw what she is telling me she saw.

So, they drag their dead and dying away for a reason, we never find a body.....easy to conclude they bury their dead. It has been witnessed.

I am aware of at least one more witness who has seen a bigfoot burying a dead one. So that makes two. in different parts of the states. So I say it is a reality.

But of course it is just my humble opinion.

Edited by driveroperator

Checkmate!