The Kill Club

norseman

SSR Team

It's just the start HRP and we have a bundle left to do and have honestly barely started.

I'll be honest and say that I'd hoped to have a little more done than we currently have at the moment but life and circumstances dictate of course for everyone.

At best I'd say we are about where I wanted us to be after what is now around 2 years of adding reports.

I'm hopeful that in another 2 years we would have covered what I want to cover and the we can really start with the serious stuff which is the actual analysis.

For now it's still just about adding data, albeit it with little drips out of what we are seeing so far but nothing serious, and it will be for quite some time.

Sorry Norse, back to the thread.

I'll continue to crunch numbers to get us the optimal location that will greatly increase our chances of getting action.

But yeah, the PNW and WA specifically is where it will happen.

It's where the Boss is too ( Norseman ) and it's the State which has the most activity.

My job is to give the Project the best possible chance/opportunity to achieve its objective, and i take doing so very seriously and have been at it for the best part of two years now and will continue to do it until we are ready and it's show time.

Excellent Bobby.

What do you guys think about the tidal areas and estuaries?? Do you think that would be worth considering, or are you already doing this? You know, some kind of hide on the edge of the forest with clear views of the tidal flats? Or an anchored boat or raft???

The areas I have nearby are drainages that empty near sea level, and start at the upper ends in the 5 to 6000' range. Once the snow starts here, the upper reaches soon become impassable to anything but snowmobiles. The pic below was taken from the highest point I could reach in my 4x4, 2 months ago. I'm parked at about 5000'.

post-23759-0-92683900-1416940751_thumb.j

Edited by BC witness

The Columbia sits at 1300 ft up here. With mountains as high as 7000-8000 feet. I have a tracked ranger but see no need to be way up, unless they are not actively hunting and just holed up eating food stores.

If I read Bobby's data correctly, 2500-4500 feet seems to be the sweet spot in December in the PacNW.

That's what I got as well norse.

I'm hoping once more data is put in that we can start to draw some conclusions.

I think the Report Classification Project is the first of its kind and sort of groundbreaking. And it is here on The BFF for Premium Members.

Many areas of the Premium Membership Plan are enjoyable and worth the nominal fee. But to watch something like The Report Classification Project from its infancy until now in the premium area is priceless.

I'm truly humbled at the work that has been done.

BobbyO, gigantor and others have done some outstanding work.

Edited by HRPuffnstuff

SSR Team

The Columbia sits at 1300 ft up here. With mountains as high as 7000-8000 feet. I have a tracked ranger but see no need to be way up, unless they are not actively hunting and just holed up eating food stores.

If I read Bobby's data correctly, 2500-4500 feet seems to be the sweet spot in December in the PacNW.

That's high Norse, very high, especially where WA is concerned.

Only 6/60 (10%) combined reports for Winter ( 20th Dec - 19th Mar ) are at above 2,500 FT in elevation, and 5/6 of those are at the start of March.

Where actual visuals are concerned, only 2/20 (10%) are above 2,500 FT in elevation.

Fall ( 20th Sep - 19th Dec ) is different however, 48/142 (34%) where combined sightings are concerned, and 14/59 (24%) where actual visual sightings are concerned being above 2,500 FT.

I've got to say, and admittedly the elevation side of thing can be tough to nail due to the time it can take to nail even a single location of a sighting report, I had a preconceived idea (unqualified, just a hunch) that there would be much more reports at higher elevations than what there actually are.

The Olympic Peninsula especially (have to take into account the topography of it and the elevation of the main road on it, the 101, which for a large part just hugs the coast) sees reports at much lower elevations than I would have expected, and I'm talking all times of year and not just winter.

Edited by BobbyO

SSR Team

I don't have enough numbers added to the system for those two States.

But you're right regarding the East, it's one of the big reason why I split up the state into geographical groups too.

The Olympics and North and South Cascades have their lowlands, Eastern WA doesn't.

For example, only 9% of Eastern WA reports are from under 2,000 FT, with 83% of those coming in winter.

62% of Eastern WA reports are under 2,500ft in elevation in winter.

Edited by BobbyO

Once a 'sweet spot' is found from the data, is the plan essentially to replicate what NAWAC have been / are trying at Area X, resources allowing? If you believe everything Brian Brown reported in the now defunct thread, they came very close to shooting one in an area where they regularly came in to investigate humans, not the other way round.

I'm not an outdoorsman in any way, but from the reports I've read over the years, trying to track them would seem like a huge waste of time. Someone armed within a tent that a Bigfoot might come in to investigate, along with a highly placed or distant sniper (as BobbyO suggests) seems the most obvious scenario to me.

Am I right in thinking that this would be the plan, resources allowing, but that a lack of resources and time is forcing other doable alternatives for now?

I don't think tracking them in snow is a waste of time. It's pretty hard to shake off pursuers in snow.

The camp bait trap option has never worked for me. At least that is to say I've done tons of camping and never had any experience I could attribute to a Sasquatch such as rock throwing, sounds/calls, footprints, etc.

I have tried to lure them in with a predator call before and will continue to do so.

But are you saying that you will cover the ground in snow faster than they can flee? Again, from my understanding of these creatures that seems extremely difficult if not impossible, although of course i completely accept that you are an outdoorsman with extensive knowledge of your terrain and I am not (although I would like to be!).

Again, I'm with BobbyO in that you or a colleague would potentially be the bait and the creatures curiosity would be it's downfall.

Do you not think that the NAWAC were potentially employing  the correct strategy?

But are you saying that you will cover the ground in snow faster than they can flee? Again, from my understanding of these creatures that seems extremely difficult if not impossible, although of course i completely accept that you are an outdoorsman with extensive knowledge of your terrain and I am not (although I would like to be!).

Correct. Because in winter time the world becomes passable in deep snow. Dead falls and brush disappear. I can get that Polaris Ranger in places that I never could in summer. And snowmobiles are downright scary. Even skis. Humans are much more mobile in winter, than in summer. The only enemy would be more snowfall that covered the track way your following.

Again, I'm with BobbyO in that you or a colleague would potentially be the bait and the creatures curiosity would be it's downfall.

Do you not think that the NAWAC were potentially employing  the correct strategy?

I'm not saying that the strategy is without merit. I'm just saying that I haven't found an "area X" yet in which to employ it.

If I experienced rock throwing like the NAWAC or others..........absolutely.

Edited by norseman

SSR Team

I will find the sweet spot.

;)

• gigantor unlocked this topic
  • gigantor unpinned this topic