Release Of Forensic Dna Results For Sierra Kills Sample

Guest Tyler H

The killing of a hunter / hunters would certainly explain a great deal of the behavior here. Of course it is speculation and one cannot openly accuse somebody of homicide without some base in facts. Still I confess if I was involved in law enforcement in that general area I would be inclined to check the records for missing people.

OK, this is really jumping the shark and proof that some people need to think before they speak. You can accuse Smeja of being a liar or whatever, but to make the implication he shot a person is over the top. Why would anyone who killed another person try to make a case that he actually shot a sasquatch. The DNA came back as bear and Justin Smeja.

Guest BartloJays

Did I miss your credentials somewhere in regards to some particular skill set you have in the field of law enforcement or interviewing witnesses?

Oh you finally slipped in a question, though I'm not sure how it pertains in the context. Yes I have a bachelor's degree in Criminology/law enforcement from Fresno St.

That information isn't hard to find btw, so I'll assume you didn't bother looking too hard before making the assumption there were no credentials

• Upvote 2

Guest BartloJays

I'm about to leave to go mountain biking with my youngest son. However, I wanted to take a minute to thank Bart and Tyler for their tireless willingness to answer questions. I have no idea what the real story is behind these shootings but I have a lot of faith that we will eventually know the truth. Due, in large part, to the efforts from people like Bart and Tyler that are willing to put up with a lot in order to get to the bottom of this story.

Thanks again and enjoy your Sunday.

Thank you Cisco, I'll get to your other question later as I need to run here for a bit

Guest Cervelo

Oh you finally slipped in a question, though I'm not sure how it pertains in the context. Yes I have a bachelor's degree in Criminology/law enforcement from Fresno St.

That information isn't hard to find btw, so I'll assume you didn't bother looking too hard before making the assumption there were no credentials

Ahhh yeah it was only the first line there Bart LOL talk about not doing research but any-who.

And no I have no interest in doing research on you....your doing a fine job here of telling me everything I need to know about you.

Thx for the info!

Guest Thepattywagon

If Justin didn't remember signing a NDA, is it possible he didn't remember submitting a swab of his DNA?

It's kind of hard to believe that the Ketchum group would not have taken care of that initially, to eliminate Justin, since HE was the one who handled the steak and divided it up, etc.

Wouldn't that be an absolutely vital prerequisite to testing?

Rock-ape,

Is it not one of the possibilities, hypothetically speaking of course?

I suppose anything is a possibility, but I don't see it being one here. If Smeja had shot a person, why would he want people going back to the spot to look around, or even mention it to someone in the first place? I have some doubts about Smeja's story, especially with the DNA coming back bear, but I don't for a minute think he shot a person and tried to change it into he shot a BF.

Guest Scout1959

Scout, since I would hope you heed you're own advice, I'm curious what your thoughts on what the motivations are here. I'm all ears bud.

Well the 'bud' comment sounds a bit defensive so I have to wonder why you would respond that way?

We seemed to be in agreement that motives are to be considered, as to what folks motives are I would think that in reading through the thread each should contemplate that for themselves. It's not my (nor your) place to assign those motives to others minds. But imho the motives are pretty obvious. Petty rivalry would top the list for most if not all.

I agree so what's our motives? We don't want scientific validation of the species? We're in the BFRO and there's a secret agenda to impede Dr. Ketchum's study? Our family's have been threatened by the Gov or logging lobby? Tyler and I want to direct our own lab oneday and want to prove it ourselves, but we have to get that pesky mandatory educational process complete in the next dozen years or so? Give me a break

A deflective post if I ever saw one. I'm not in anyway attacking you, I'm just cautioning everyone to consider motives from each side. Again I'm not going to tell folks what to think but I'm going to encourage everyone to "THINK" and part of that is why is this whole mess so convoluted. (the reason is everyone has a motive, motives which even they may not clearly understand or recognize)

OK, this is really jumping the shark and proof that some people need to think before they speak. You can accuse Smeja of being a liar or whatever, but to make the implication he shot a person is over the top. Why would anyone who killed another person try to make a case that he actually shot a sasquatch. The DNA came back as bear and Justin Smeja.

You must have missed that I was quoting a previous post. I did not make any such accusation and in fact state that one shouldn't be made without some evidence.

I suppose anything is a possibility, but I don't see it being one here. If Smeja had shot a person, why would he want people going back to the spot to look around, or even mention it to someone in the first place? I have some doubts about Smeja's story, especially with the DNA coming back bear, but I don't for a minute think he shot a person and tried to change it into he shot a BF.

Human guilt can drive people to do some very unusual things. I don't know what happened in this story and I'm not in any way trying to say what did other than saying again I don't believe there ever was a BF involved. Beyond that each can make their own determination.

I have not meant to offend anyone BUT I will always voice that all sides need to be considered.

################ MODERATOR ANNOUNCEMENT ################

This is a reminder for everyone to adhere to the BFF Rules & Guidelines.

Rules & Guidelines like these:

General Guidelines:

1. BFF has one rule above all else - Behave like adults!

What do we mean by this? Imagine the forum is run by a bunch of people who have invited you over for dinner - we expect sensible, well thought out conversation. If you start getting personal with other diners, you are likely to be ejected. This not your house after all, you don't have a right to sit at someone else's table and disrupt things.

2. Do not make things personal. Attack the argument, not the arguer. No name calling. Terms like ‘liars’ and ‘idiots’ are beyond the pale and will not be tolerated here.

3. Remember at all times that this forum is here to discuss the subject of Bigfoot, not to discuss other members. If you don't have something nice to say about someone, you might want to consider not saying anything.

4. Respect other members and their right to their opinion.

5. If you have grievances against others from the past, leave them in the past and do not bring them here.

6. All opinions concerning the Bigfoot phenomenon are welcome regardless of which side of the proverbial fence you may reside in relation to the entire BF mystery.

7. Do not discuss religion or politics. No exceptions.

8. Use the report button to report a post that is not in keeping with the rules or guidelines - DO NOT address the offending post yourself or the moderators may not be able to assist, and you may incur punishment if your response violates the rules. Remember, the report button is your friend - this version of the software immediately draws the moderator's attention to a problem and makes it easier to deal with it - this forum will work best if everyone helps out and you moderate your own posts. The less a moderator has to do, the happier they will be.

I have no desire to lock this thread, so behave. Quit making things personal. Attack the argument, not the arguer. State an opinion, fine, but discontinue the sniping and petty remarks.

RayG

A couple of great posts there Footdude' date=' and I know Tyler and Bart might not like them, but I think this is an issue that needs to be addressed. I too find it a bit odd that they still support Smeja,[/quote']

Sorry to sound frustrated, but it HAS been addressed over and over and over and over. I seriously don't know how many times I have explained it and/or posted the link to my article about why I believe(d) Justin aside from the physical evidence. In any court case, there is a whole "body of evidence" many things aside from the physical evidence make up that body. And once again, justin NEVER asserted that he had any PROOF that this sample was from what he shot. He hoped it was, and felt confident it seemed like a match, and Melba told him it was, so that boosted his confidence. I have yet to discover a single lie from Justin to me.

Thanks again Tyler, but I believe you took that quote out of context. If you go back and look I think you'll see that post of mine was about why some would think you guys have a reason to discredit MK, and that's what I felt needed to be addressed, which Bart did a fine job of in his subsequent post.

But it wasn't meant to be about why you guys still believe in Smeja. I said myself I give him the benefit of the doubt on this still, but I did not explain why so I will try to do so now, so perhaps you will see we are not far apart on this. The way I see it, there are reasons to believe Smeja, and reasons not to. I agree with much of your assessment of him, he doesn't seem to be in it for money or fame, he has been consistent with his story, plus, the feeling I get from having listened to several interviews he has done is, the guy just doesn't care enough to try to pull off some massive hoax.

All that said though, I still don't know what the truth is here. The waters have been muddied, but things will eventually settle so we will have some clarity. As of now, knowing that folks who have been involved with this are still trusting in Smeja gives me reason to have hope something can still come of this. So now I wait to see what the MK study shows. If her methods and findings hold up, it could exonerate Smeja in the BF world public opinion, but unless that (or I suppose the boots) gives us some proof, his is just another BF tale.

You must have missed that I was quoting a previous post. I did not make any such accusation and in fact state that one shouldn't be made without some evidence.

Human guilt can drive people to do some very unusual things. I don't know what happened in this story and I'm not in any way trying to say what did other than saying again I don't believe there ever was a BF involved. Beyond that each can make their own determination.

I have not meant to offend anyone BUT I will always voice that all sides need to be considered.

No, I didn't miss that you were quoting the other posts, and mine was meant to address all of them. And I didn't say you accused him of shooting a person, I said it was implied, which it was and it was implied with no evidence to do so. Whether you all intended it as hypothetical or not, I just think it was unnecessary to even go that way.

And I don't know what happened here either, other than the DNA showed Smeja didn't shoot a person.

Look what I found, it is possible to create fake DNA:

“You can just engineer a crime scene,†said Dan Frumkin, lead author of the paper, which has been published online by the journal Forensic Science International: Genetics. “Any biology undergraduate could perform this.â€

The authors of the paper took blood from a woman and centrifuged it to remove the white cells, which contain DNA. To the remaining red cells they added DNA that had been amplified from a man’s hair.

http://www.nytimes.c...18dna.html?_r=0

So it seems possible that this might be one off the wall explanation for why the results are so different. Now how it got to be that way is speculative at best. It seems that nothing is legally decided about creating these artificial chimeras, only how would you enforce it, or prove someone did it if it happened ? It gets back to having a body every time.......ahhh well so much for my sci-fi spinning for today.

So might it soon be possible to create a monkey with a brain composed entirely of human neurons?

This includes the creation of a non-human primate with enough human brain cells to make it capable of "human-like" behavior. The creation and development of embryos formed by mixing embryonic or pluripotent cells from humans and non-human primates should also be banned for now, as should the breeding of animals that have human-derived sperm or egg cells and could generate a true animal-human hybrid.

http://www.scientifi...osed-for-animal

It's A Brave New World

Edited by CTfoot

Guest Scout1959

No, I didn't miss that you were quoting the other posts, and mine was meant to address all of them. And I didn't say you accused him of shooting a person, I said it was implied, which it was and it was implied with no evidence to do so. Whether you all intended it as hypothetical or not, I just think it was unnecessary to even go that way.

And I don't know what happened here either, other than the DNA showed Smeja didn't shoot a person.

I did not mean to imply anything in fact I stated that it was wrong to make the accusation without evidence. So please don't implicate me where I do not belong.

Well in fairness the DNA was provided by him so the fact that it wouldn't implicate him really wouldn't be a surprise. I'm not making any accusations with that just pointing out a failure in logic.

The authors of the paper took blood from a woman and centrifuged it to remove the white cells, which contain DNA. To the remaining red cells they added DNA that had been amplified from a man’s hair.

Ct, I don't think the centrifuge would work the same on tissue.

He claims he shot Bigfoot and submitted samples he claims are from Bigfoot,

EHHHHHH! WRONG! He submitted samples that he (and the researchers) thought might have come from one of the bigfoot.

Edited by RayG
Removed inflammatory comment.