Opinions On Returning Rock Throws

Guest Cervelo

So then why aren't most of you that have experienced it dead or at least on the injuried reserve list?

There's either something else going on, or Bigfoot needs to work on his arm strength LOL!

Throw stuff back guys don't whip it in just gently toss it back and see what happens.

If you really think that it's Bigfoot then you have to make the next move.

Now if their whipping big rocks past your head then I'd challenge them somehow, speak to them let them know they got your attention.

If anything is throwing big rocks at my head it will get one warning and the next rock better hit its mark but that's just me.

Obviously I just don't get the sit around or leave approach.

BFF Patron

Sometimes I take the noisier is better approach to researching. Since I relieve quite a bit of stress with trailwork, and the weather is always tearing up crap, I sometimes will throw tree sections, large branches and such off of dropoffs where it can't damage alot of other vegetation, in doing that I act like the proverbial gorilla in my own mind. If anything is around, on those days they can't help but know that I'm around. Other days, I just act like I'm trying to tune into every living thing that is out there in my neck of the woods and walk softly.

I've yet to have anything to respond on my "tearing crap up" days.

Edited by bipedalist

We camped in a spot that was a cut out, in a hillside. We chose the spot, because we could be easily observed from each side of the camp, from above. It was so cold, we stayed by the campfire at night, and quietly chatted and just kept warm. There were several projectiles that came down from the steep hill, and hit a wooden privy (outhouse) in the back of the campsite. Not sure what was thrown, but that it did come from the higher ground. There were no trees directly overhanging the privy, as we noted carefully, the next morning.. considering that they could be acorns that dropped. Audio was also recorded of something moving on hill above, where a recorder was placed. Audio confirmed, nothing bounced, and it was just a single sound (in each case) of an object hitting the wooden privy.

After the projectiles (not sure what they were) hit the privy, we softly talked about it and sat quietly for awhile. I decided to take a rock from the fire pit, and throw it up in the general direction we thought the projectiles came from. It did end the activity, and nothing further was noted or picked up by audio, in the camp.

I come to no conclusions.. on the source, or that my actions stopped further activity. If it did ever happen again, I would Not throw anything back. Just relaying the experience.

Guest Cervelo

I'm typically ghosting all the time, but if I had a site that the contact was routine I would be trying something to move it forward.

Heck what do you think my first thought was in yellowstone before I figured it out.....no way this can't be happening...no guns a blazing just got out of my tent and started walking towards it.

Said hello a couple of times then finally figured out it was coming from above LOL!

It was a relief and disappointment at the same time but very enlightening.

It didn't help that I had spent 2hrs on the trail in the dark the night before, but that's another embarrassing story!

So then why aren't most of you that have experienced it dead or at least on the injuried reserve list?

There's either something else going on, or Bigfoot needs to work on his arm strength LOL!

Because you'd be assuming that it's meant to be aggressive and intending to hurt someone. We've never gotten that impression just from the sounds of things coming thru the trees and hitting the ground around us. It may just be a *toying* technique - one intended to see what we will do.

Guest OntarioSquatch

Aggression doesn't necessarily mean they are going to hit you with rocks. It could be a simple message like "go away". There are a good number of eyewitnesses who claim to get that feeling even without the rock throwing, but I guess GuyInIndiana probably knows more about this stuff.

No, I'm simply saying don't come to any single answer for 'what' an action or activity is or means. When people tell you how they 'feel' in the woods, they may be telling you more about who THEY are, than what the situation describes. Their 'fear' may just be a normal reaction to an un-nerving situation that they don't understand and they are over reacting. It doesn't necessarily mean the actions they 'perceive' were the intended ones by what ever caused the event.

We tend to over-read situations when we have the least information about them, to understand them correctly. THAT'S why to some people, every little twig snap in the woods IS a bigfoot.

Guest VioletX

All of this has made me remember how the neighborhood kids, common bullies, used to throw rocks at my brother. He was pretty meek, I don't recall his reaction, but probably he did nothing or fled.

I wonder if he had thrown rocks back what would have happened? With these kids probably a war.

But that leads me to think that if they are pebbles just lightly tossed, it may not be aggression but if it is a biggish rock whizzing by your ear might not be a good idea to retaliate.

I would assume, assuming bigfoot is real for all you skeptics, that they are primates. I will assume primates are real and that like the scat-lobbing monkeys at the zoo, they don't throw rocks to communicate the idea hey come over here for a game of checkers!

Missile weapons are a universal language I would even venture to say. They throw little stuff, it could well mean Look at ME! but big stuff means GO AWAY. I think one could operate under these assumptions pretty much.

Throwing little pebbles back? It might invite interaction. Better yet, throw craisins or cocoa puffs back. I never tried it, but I wonder......

You throw big missiles back....that could mean No, YOU go away. A war could follow. I'd say don't throw larger rocks back at them. You could try to distract them by doing some interesting activity like singing or playing yer banjo or blowing bubbles with bubble juice or whatever. If that didn't work, I'd just pack up and go.

Edited by Kings Canyon

Here's my only experience with "rock throwing" it was a squirrel....fear the squirrels :)

The squirrel was throwing rocks at you? Really? Did you see the rocks? Did you see the squirrel actually throwing them?

I think if this happened to me, I might if I had the courage at the time to try a couple of things and see if there was a different response to either or any response. Firstly I would find of act like I found the projectile and then to exaggeratedly appear to eat it, or try to eat it and then appear disappointed that it wasnt food. The next time I would find or act like I found the projectile and exaggeratedly mock hump the rock stick acorn or whatever. These two actions being what i imagine to be opposite behaviors and completely understandable by the creatures. Strange i know, but then Im strange too lol

another response: appear to find projectile and act submissive to it or worship it, bow to it put face down to it whatever primate submission works

Edited by people booger

The squirrel was throwing rocks at you? Really? Did you see the rocks? Did you see the squirrel actually throwing them?

This is one mean squirrel

Edited by people booger