Opinions On Returning Rock Throws

SSR Team

If you really think that it's Bigfoot then you have to make the next move.

Now if their whipping big rocks past your head then I'd challenge them somehow, speak to them let them know they got your attention.

If anything is throwing big rocks at my head it will get one warning and the next rock better hit its mark but that's just me.

Obviously I just don't get the sit around or leave approach.

Are you suggesting that you have to make the next move, in an advancing way ?

If so, why do you HAVE TO do that ?

& what do you mean you only give one warning, are you insinuating you'd do something ?

If so, what ?

Anyway's, Ape's throwing things is nothing new..

http://news.discover...ans-120509.html

Edited by BobbyO

Guest Cervelo

BobbyO,

Did ya read the whole post or are you just looking for a gun debate?

The squirrel was throwing rocks at you? Really? Did you see the rocks? Did you see the squirrel actually throwing them?

Did ya watch the vid and/or read the whole post?

Edited by Cervelo

As a parent and a former child myself, this is something that I've learnt:-

If an adolesent human comes across pebbles or rocks and then sees an interseting target (squirrel, bottle, outhouse, water, in fact almost anything) then 90% of the time they will start chucking rocks at it. If you've ever watched a toddler, they will often pick up small stones and throw them, even though no one has specifically taught them to do it, it just seems to be a natural thing that we actually enjoy doing.

It seens logical if BF is related to us, that this natural rock throwing instict has been developed as a very important tool / skill.

Mapletoffee, I had to laugh at that! My son and his best friend just cannot help themselves around sticks and stones. Anything remotely lift-able becomes a stick to play with, throw, use as a javelin or make into a bow and any rock small enough to be thrown IS thrown or if not, then climbed upon. I think in my apartment right now I have walking sticks, two bows, a few dozen "arrows", numchucks (sp?) and atlatls. And about two dozen rocks of various sizes... I took them to Mt. Pisgah, and *I* ended up carrying the 20 lb pack full of rocks back down the mountain! This does not include the "rock collection" held in the fishing tackle box.

Agreed!

Edited by madison5716

SSR Team

BobbyO,

Did ya read the whole post or are you just looking for a gun debate?

I read the whole post.

Answer my questions please, thanks.

No need to think i have an ulterior motive all the time, i just don't understand why you said what you did and would like you to clarify if that isn't too much to ask.. :)

Mapletoffee, I had to laugh at that! My son and his best friend just cannot help themselves around sticks and stones. Anything remotely lift-able becomes a stick to play with, throw, use as a javelin or make into a bow and any rock small enough to be thrown IS thrown or if not, then climbed upon. I think in my apartment right now I have walking sticks, two bows, a few dozen "arrows", numchucks (sp?) and atlatls. And about two dozen rocks of various sizes... I took them to Mt. Pisgah, and *I* ended up carrying the 20 lb pack full of rocks back down the mountain! This does not include the "rock collection" held in the fishing tackle box.

Agreed!

Yes, at one point my 4 year old had a good 30 pounds of rocks in her bedroom, finaly convinced her to only keep the smooth pretty ones, took it down to about 4 pounds. I can live with that! And yes, bags of leaves, feathers, etc.

Guest Cervelo

I read the whole post.

Answer my questions please, thanks.

No need to think i have an ulterior motive all the time, i just don't understand why you said what you did and would like you to clarify if that isn't too much to ask.. :)

Cool :)

I guesss it would have a lot to do with the circumstances....

The first thing I assume in my adventures or want to eliminate is am I dealing with a person.

I typically say hello if I'm dealing with an unknown.

If the presence persist without acknowledgement I'll let it be known verbally that I am armed and will defend myself.

The only time an encounter has gone beyond that, I did my own bluff charge in an attempt to get what I assumed was an animal to move, it didn't or it had already left the area.

If something was throwing rocks at me, again it would have to do with my perceived intent, and the context of the situation.

Just like my squirrel vid what I percieved was small pebbles being tossed into my camp, finally realized it was coming from above and what it was.

If it had been baseball size rocks whizzing by my head please see above.

I have yet to have a situation in my 40 some years of kicking around the woods that I've had to point a weapon at another human being to resolve a conflict.

I have been shot at point blank range in a different situation when not armed so I do have healthy respect for the responsibility that a weapon brings to the table.

Not sure if that helps and would gladly add more if I missed something.

Edited by Cervelo

Did ya watch the vid and/or read the whole post?

Yes I read the post and watched the video. Neither addressed the questions I asked.

Guest Cervelo

Yes I read the post and watched the video. Neither addressed the questions I asked.

The squirrels where chewing off these very small hard pines cones (not sure what kinda tree) from way up in the trees, had me fooled for a little bit, sorry if I didn't make that clear :)

OK Cervelo, and thanks for the reply. I didn't doubt things were dropping, I could hear that, and I didn't think it was a BF, it was the "throwing" part I wondered about.

What you say is just what I was thinking, pine cones were dropping, not being thrown. And you're exactly right that a lot of people could/would make the bf assumption.

One thing to keep in mind.......Bigfoot's can throw much larger rocks, and considerably further than a human.......bad idea!

I heard some heavy shuffling one afternoon when up on a ridge, and coming from a wooded area below. I threw a rock down in the general area, heard nothing, and continued on my hike. I was still hiking along the ridge, and about 10 minutes later, a huge rock came crashing my way from below. This was a little scary, as I realized the strength involved to do such a thing, and there is no human that could have performed such a feet.......crazy amazing.

Guest Cervelo

Cervelo, I do think the squirrels were "throwing' things at you.

:tease:

See V knows... these squirrels are dangerous....

fear the squirrels!!

Guest VioletX

See V knows... these squirrels are dangerous....

fear the squirrels!!

LOL!

"it's the little ones ya gotta watch out for"

I recall seeing a video recently of a "subject" tossing a rock near kids. Then, walking past them as if "it" intended to distract. It was deliberate as a distraction from my perspective. Just like infantry, distract while moving while someone cover fires. We can interpret this many ways and I for one believe tossing rocks "directly" at them is bad. However, if they are watching ,lob, not toss a smaller one in the general area. Then sit down to show non-agressive posture. Too many times I have stood while I should be showing non-agressive body language.