High End Research Gear And Equipment

NathanFooter

Just getting back to this to say that I was able to buy a Sony M10 spoken of upthread on ebay for a little over $200. I saw a few Japanese language examples for sale there, which shouldn't deter anyone, but luckily found one US used. It's worth checking there, if you're interested.

No need, I just searched periodically on ebay and found a US seller, I think it was a one-time deal. It was $220 + shipping. When I was looking, I noticed quite a few from Japan. The manual can be found online, and they're pretty simple to use, so that may be a good option.

• 4 weeks later...

I've had these for about 15 years. The batteries of course are older and don't last as long as the newer technology ones but on "low" I still get about 8-10 hrs. Now the company has heated socks, gloves, and vests. I would rate this company and it's products 5 stars. I would also invest in the c-pack 1700B. Expensive yes, but not nearly as much as frostbite.

https://sidas-usa.store/collections/therm-ic/products/set-heat-flat-c-pack-1300

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, hiflier said:

I've had these for about 15 years. The batteries of course are older and don't last as long as the newer technology ones but on "low" I still get about 8-10 hrs. Now the company has heated socks, gloves, and vests. I would rate this company and it's products 5 stars. I would also invest in the c-pack 1700B. Expensive yes, but not nearly as much as frostbite.

https://sidas-usa.store/collections/therm-ic/products/set-heat-flat-c-pack-1300

It looks like they stay plugged up...

Do you feel the cords when you have them on?

No. The wiring is a flat cable type. I wrap the excess cable around my wool socks and clip the battery, which isn't heavy at all, to tops of the socks. Most of my work before retiring was outside in winter or in cold houses. These babies really saved me from having my toes go numb. The high setting (4 hours) is more a boost temperature to jump start the warming process at around 145 degrees. The next click down (6hrs.) is around 144 degrees and the low setting, which obviously lasts the longest (up to 10 hrs.) is around 95 degrees. The new batteries now can go 10-17 hrs. Most folks won't need that amount of time, so I think one could get a couple of days out of one charge if they're power frugal.

I would plug then in after I got home (7-8 hours) and clip them on again in the morning. Most of the time I only needed then for first thing in the morning for 2-3 hours, then off, then on again mid afternoon so I usually kept the setting at the 114 degree level. The heating surface is only designed for under the toe area but that's the most important spot. When siding wood shingles on a house on the North side up on staging it could stay pretty shady and cold. One doesn't move around enough to keep their feet warm so it was one of the best purchases I ever made for the jobs I was doing. I also was responsible for checking around 60 unoccupied homes inside and out every two weeks, sometimes on snowshoes. Most were completely shut down for the winter and were as cold freezers inside Dec-April. 

Edited by hiflier

On 4/16/2020 at 7:19 PM, BlackRockBigfoot said:

I would recommend that you get an inexpensive case and screen protector for the Mini.  Here are the ones that I have been using.  They are inexpensive but work well.  The Mini is rugged, but an extra layer of protection on something that you may end up staking your life on is never a bad idea.

That's a good idea.  Will do!  I thought about the tether, but I just stick it in my bra anyway and it's not going anywhere. 

3 minutes ago, Madison5716 said:

That's a good idea.  Will do!  I thought about the tether, but I just stick it in my bra anyway and it's not going anywhere. 

I hear both good and bad things about the tether.  Some people say that it isn't very secure.  We usually just use the carabineer to attach it to a pack.  

On 3/24/2020 at 4:24 AM, wiiawiwb said:

Great piece of gear Madison. Please gives us a field report after you've had time to use it.

BEST. PACK. EVER. I love this thing. It's awesome. I'll never use another pack again. It's comfortable, big enough and feels like it'll last forever. 

Jääkäri M - Savotta (finn-savotta.fi)

Edited by Madison5716

This might be my next purchase for summer usage. Then I don't have to carry rain gear OR a tarp, though I love my Coalcracker Bushcraft siltarp a lot for winter carrying. It has gromets and corner tie outs on the rain poncho sides. Nice. 

Rain poncho - Savotta (finn-savotta.fi)

Edited by Madison5716

I'm also thinking of these. I hate cold wet feet.

Dachstein Woolwear Light Wool Socks - Sweater Chalet

And maybe this. Now that I can fit men's sweaters, there's a lot more quality out there to look at. Women's outdoor wear is lacking, especially rain gear. Ask NorthWind how much I bitch about rain gear, LOL.  Say what you will, but Scandinavians know snowy wet weather and how to dress for it. I'm having a hard time fitting clothing after my mastectomy - men's clothing fits except at the hips, which are too tight, and women's clothing is gappy up on top now and isn't made for pear shaped women anyway. UGH. I like this sweater - I can unbutton the bottom button for more room. Guess this will be on my wish-list!

Fróði wool traditional sweater | Icewear

Edited by Madison5716

On 1/10/2021 at 1:10 PM, Madison5716 said:

I might buy this, though. I want a bit more room on the OUTSIDE of my pack for items I need quickly. Plus, I just got a sleeping bag and pad and when I put them into the 30L pack, it's a very tight fit without room for anything else.

Condor T & T Pouch | Tactical Gear Superstore | TacticalGear.com

Your 30L jaakari has a spot reserved on tbe bottom for your sleeping gear. The loops on the bottom of the bag are there for securing bedding/tents too.

• gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic