High End Research Gear And Equipment

NathanFooter

32 minutes ago, NorthWind said:

Wow

Better build an ark.

I thought that I was escaping the rain when I left New Orleans.  

From a wet frying pan into an equally wet fire...

On 1/23/2020 at 6:22 PM, NorthWind said:

@Madison5716 , I hope we can make it out to one of our lakes one of these nights soon!

Heck yeah!!!

I just ordered the Condor H2O pouch. I wanted OD Green  ($16.95) but the Coyote Brown was selling for $7.95. Couldn't pass up the deal and since I will be using it for my thermal imager at night the color is irrelevant. Crazy how they sell it for that price.

https://www.amazon.com/CONDOR-H2O-Pouch-Black-4Dia-Inch/dp/B01MR0IDV6/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=condor%2Bh2o%2Bpouch&qid=1580006534&sr=8-3&th=1

On 12/5/2019 at 11:44 PM, Redbone said:

Here is the case and it is perfect for my needs: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P9TLFBB/?pldnSite=1

I have not figured out what lens cap to get yet, but I think it's 48 mm. I have to find my calipers to be sure. No freaking idea where they are at the moment.

I also bought a cheap pack of neck lanyards which seem like they will work great. I'm going to use at least two of the extras for my radios:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DQSHN31/

1884358670_Sionyxcase.thumb.jpg.5ec7eeef0f97de3913dae4eee248eeec.jpg

We're still talking about cases so I wanted to update. The case I bought is garbage. The zipper failed. I do not recommend.

On 1/25/2020 at 9:58 PM, Redbone said:

We're still talking about cases so I wanted to update. The case I bought is garbage. The zipper failed. I do not recommend.

We picked up a small gear case at a local outdoors store.  It works great.

When I get home I will get the name of it and let you know.  I think that it is made by Kelty.

On 1/25/2020 at 9:58 PM, Redbone said:

It's a Kelty Cache Box.  Fits perfectly.

KIMG0768.JPG

KIMG0770.JPG

KIMG0769.JPG

• Upvote 2

@BRB - Beautiful!  It does fit perfectly in there with lots of space for additional items to be kept organized. Congrats!

@Redbone - That's too bad about the zipper. I hope you find a replacement case.

The $7.95 Condor H2O case arrived today. I am favorably impressed and it fits the thermal, two battery packs, and a voice recorder. It is well cushioned but I added additional padding so the thermal is safe. It has molle webbing throughout which will make attaching it to a backpack or chest pack a breeze.

I be thrilled with it at $30+ but for less than $8 it's a steal.P1030160.thumb.JPG.41371661ef89cbb91d1ddd2e53bf036a.JPGP1030154.thumb.JPG.581609425fcfdd051ecdb5c35bdcc26c.JPGP1030156.thumb.JPG.10a581009bece598093676e0d8472930.JPG

Edited by wiiawiwb
  • Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, wiiawiwb said:

@BRB - Beautiful!  It does fit perfectly in there with lots of space for additional items to be kept organized. Congrats!

@Redbone - That's too bad about the zipper. I hope you find a replacement case.

The $7.95 Condor H2O case arrived today. I am favorably impressed and it fits the thermal, two battery packs, and a voice recorder. It is well cushioned but I added additional padding so the thermal is safe. It has molle webbing throughout which will make attaching it to a backpack or chest pack a breeze.

I be thrilled with it at $30+ but for less than $8 it's a steal.P1030160.thumb.JPG.41371661ef89cbb91d1ddd2e53bf036a.JPGP1030154.thumb.JPG.581609425fcfdd051ecdb5c35bdcc26c.JPGP1030156.thumb.JPG.10a581009bece598093676e0d8472930.JPG

That looks nice!

BFF Patron
On 12/9/2019 at 1:44 PM, SWWASAS said:

There has been a discussion of LIDAR on another thread.    If someone had a couple of million to develop this system for movement detection it would be a great tool.    While LIDAR is normally used from a moving airplane or drone and software strips away vegetation to show bare ground,   it seems to me that a stationary laser scanner set up in a forested area could be programmed differently.       Police departments are using the device to document crime scenes.     They set up the scanner and it scans the area, and it produces a detailed three dimensional picture that shows the crime scene with very accurate measurements.     Change that software and there is no reason that a stationary scanner could not scan and look for motion.       You could take a block of data that reproduces the scan area in great accuracy.    Then have the software eliminate anything that has not moved in 30 minutes.    If some squirrel runs up a tree, or a bigfoot peeks out from behind a tree,  the computer would display the object in motion.    There would be no guessing how tall it was or how far away.   We would know within a centimeter.    I suppose existing hardware could be modified but the software changes would be daunting.  

USGS does LIDAR https://www.usgs.gov/news/national-geospatial-program-garners-elevation-award

Posted in another thread

• Upvote 1

• gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2019 at 8:56 PM, BlackRockBigfoot said:

Garmin 64ST

Anyone looking to add a solid GPS unit to their gear?

I recently upgraded to a 64ST and and have been very impressed with it so far.  Sportsman's Warehouse has this model on sale for $189.99. 

This unit felt much more durable than their new 66i.  The 64ST has been invaluable, as we like to go into new areas and get off the beaten path.

@BlackRockBigfoot - I've been considering getting either a Mini or the 66i.  Already have the ACR PLB which I'll keep as I like redundancy. I want one of the other two for texting in case I need to provide critical information such as a venomous snake bite.

From reading your posts,  you have experience with both. Any advice about choosing between the two?

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

@BlackRockBigfoot - I've been considering getting either a Mini or the 66i.  Already have the ACR PLB which I'll keep as I like redundancy. I want one of the other two for texting in case I need to provide critical information such as a venomous snake bite.

From reading your posts,  you have experience with both. Any advice about choosing between the two?

I would honestly go with the 66i if cost isn't an issue.  

I thought that it felt less "sturdy" in the hand, but the reviews that have come out have been pretty solid.  I am still more than happy with my 64ST purchase, but if I found myself back in the GPS market I would spend a bit more and get the 66i.

I got the mini for my partner to carry pretty much just for the satellite texting and PLB options.  The GPS functions were just a bonus, since we already had the 64ST for navigation.  The Mini is handy when tied in with a cellphone, but adding another piece of equipment to your navigation adds another layer that can break at the wrong time.  Especially something as fragile as a cellphone.  However, you can still type out texts via the Mini's buttons and have rudimentary GPS navigation even without an attached cellphone.  The texts just take forever to type out.

If cost is a determining factor, the Mini will probably serve your needs fully, though.  It picks up satellites just as readily as my 64ST and I have had zero issues with it so far.  The Garmin app that ties into it has been stable and easy to use.  Since the 66i has apparently gone over well I have seen the Mini on sale fairly frequently below its usual price of $350...as low as $250.  Much lower than the $600 66i.

• 1 month later...
On 11/12/2019 at 2:30 PM, BlackRockBigfoot said:

I went with the Garmin Inreach Mini.  I found the combination of satellite communications/texting, personal locator beacon, and GPS to be very attractive.  Considering the importance of this piece of equipment, I found the cost per month (under $20) very reasonable.  One of the things that I like about it is that you have the ability to communicate  via text with S&R if you do ever need to use the emergency beacon. The GPS function is pretty rudimentary, however we us that as a potential backup to our Garmin 64ST.

Sorry...you already answered my question about the 66i

Edited by wiiawiwb

I just got this beauty in the mail. I bought it before i started taking this whole Coronavirus situation seriously, but I have zero regrets. It's comfortable, rugged and bigger. I love it! Only thing I wish is that it had at least one internal pocket. Not a biggie. Now, if I could only get to the woods to actually USE it!

30L Savotta Jaakari. 👍

20200323_185657.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

• gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic