High End Research Gear And Equipment

NathanFooter

Cool, I believe you are talking about the Seek thermal camera that attaches to your phone ? 

I would love to see some distance tests of humans.  I am looking forward to seeing what you post.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been looking into the Seek thermal camera for andriod and iphone, I am pleased to say that it does record video,stills and has several color paletts. As the unit is at 206X156 reso it is not very good for anything much over 60 yards but this unit would be great for night walks, camp perimeter observation and other general detection purposes.

The images do have a bit of ''snow'' in them at times but even then it is not terrible.

I have spoken with another researcher who baught it and he so far has been very happy with his purchase. I would say that for the price of 200$ thermal imaging is finally within reachofthe average researcher.

http://thermal.com/what_is_thermal.html

Certainly a nice way to break into thermal imaging. Guess the

evidentiary value might be lower with the lower image quality.

I am currently in the process of determining a long term research

sight, and will be in the market for more tools to help me in

evidence gathering. Does anyone know of a out of the box long

term battery system for digital recording that is field proven?

• 2 months later...

This is not high end but I wanted to show it anyway. This is an inexpensive spotting scope rigged with a camera mount and a special adapter to use a phone instead of a camera. I hope to use it to monitor a spot from across a small valley. I had also hoped to use my cheap vivitar action camera for this but it did not work. Any sunlight washes it out completely. Using my phone is not ideal. I hope to find a better camera to use, even if it's a web cam with a separate DVR. For now the phone will do.

post-21915-0-00355300-1423514404_thumb.j

I'd go with calling that spotting scope "inexpensive" rather than "cheap". There are some very nasty, total junk "cheap" ones around for $30 or $40 and they'd be worth about $3.99 in a toy store. Often they are branded Vivitar, like your cam, which on anything made in last decade is very usually junk, typically they will also be "fake priced" like MRSP $99, or compare at $129 or something, to make you think you're getting a deal. 

Celestron is a good value name though.

yes...the scope was inexpensive and the camera was cheap. The tripod? also cheap but it will suit my needs I hope. That cheap camera works great as a dash cam, which is mostly what I use it for. What I like about it (the camera) is that in car mode it takes 3 minute movies, making them easy to search and edit. I want to find a better camera with a similar feature.

• 2 months later...

Anyone have any input on a reasonably affordable thermal camera? The flir scout looks pretty good. Anyone have any expirience with one?

For me IR cameras are just not an option as I think there is enough evidence out there to suggest they can detect the ir light put off by these cameras. Probably why theres no good trail cam photos worth speaking of.

Has anyone thought about the high frequency sounds put off by our battery powered gadgets? Ive heard of some trail cams that have reduced or maybe emit none at all. Are there any therms that make that claim?

• 2 months later...

I've been checking into picking up a thermal device for some time now. Flir for years owned the market, but with the introduction of the "The Seek" - Thermal Camera, I knew that we may soon be exposed to a whole new line of ThermalCams at a price-point that wouldn't require an arm and a leg as a deposit.

Problem I have is that it's just another BlobSquatch when it comes to anything at a distance. Then I saw this comparison of the The Seek-Thermal vs the Therm-App cameras ( Long Distance Comparative here ) & ( another closer distance comparative here ).

Difference in price is The Seek around $300.oo, the therm-App cameras around $1000.oo.

Seek thermal website

Therm-App website

Between the two i like the resolution and focus better on "the Therm-App" and it has a more secure attachment to your handheld device than "the Seek Thermal"

Edited by Jumpin Johnathon
  • Upvote 1

Certainly a nice way to break into thermal imaging. Guess the

evidentiary value might be lower with the lower image quality.

I am currently in the process of determining a long term research

sight, and will be in the market for more tools to help me in

evidence gathering. Does anyone know of a out of the box long

term battery system for digital recording that is field proven?

Hello, 

I'm not sure if this would be a good option for what you are trying to accomplish but there are several solar power kit you can use to power devices (sames in link below).  I don't know if they will meet you usage needs or price point but they are something to consider if you were going to leave equipment out in the field.  I have often though that a thermal camera on a high ridge fitted with a long term power supply would be able to provide some evidence on Sasquatch movements.  They man not be able to yield definitive evidence based on the resolution of the images but they could give us more insight to their movement patterns and help us to predict behavior.   

http://www.siliconsolar.com/45-watt-harbor-freight-portable-solar-panel-kit.html

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

For anyone interested in drones this is something new from Vantage Robotics. First off, the body is attached to the rotor module with magnets so it snaps off in case of a crash and makes packing easy as the rotors fold up allowing the whole thing to fit in even a small pack. It has a 4K camera, is gyro stabilized and controlled with an iPhone or Android cell, sending 720P video real time to the screen. It has an electronic tether which will keep it a preset distance from the phone with the camera trained in the same direction. The rotors are enclosed to protect them and anyone that might bump into it. With a range extender it can be controlled from up to 1,400 meters. Pre-order price is $895.00 with shipping early next year at which time the price goes up to $1,295. Here is the promotional video:

And another from a tech blog:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I'm going out this summer....I can only afford (maybe) one piece of equipment. I'm torn between two: a GoPro or a Flir One camera for my iPhone. The advantage goes to the GoPro for me because I will be able to use it for activities other than squatching (like on my motorcycle) but I know it won't have very good range/resolution at night like the therm probably will? Thoughts? Experiences with either?

BFF Patron

There are knock offs that are functionally like the GoPro and are a fraction of the price.      I got one for about $70 on Amazon.    It had a waterproof case and 3 different types of mounts in the package.    It is the same size as the traditional GoPro although there is a new smaller GoPro that runs about $200.   Personally while FLIR is interesting,   the resolution leaves much to be desired.    Even if you get a good image, you will find yourself defending the picture to skeptics because it could be interpreted as a human just because of the poor resolution.  

• gigantor pinned this topic
  • gigantor unlocked this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic