The Truth About Elbe

Matt Pruitt

See It changed So thats Dynamic which means that his IP would change every time he resets and you can't say for certain his IP is the one that would be used.

He isn't on Comcast either. Duh !

See It changed So thats Dynamic which means that his IP would change every time he resets and you can't say for certain his IP is the one that would be used.

I'm not sure you are getting it. Your IP changes too. Everyone's does, generally speaking anyway for home connections. So if you show up in the logs a week ago with a certain IP, you might not show up again this week with that IP. It's not like you always show up in the logs with "Cath's IP". Your IP will change depending on your dhcp lease length. But ISPs know who had what IP at what given time. And only them. And they have to be forced to provide that information, it is not freely available. Certainly the BFF does not have access to your IP history. All they can say is that a given IP was paired with your logon at a given time. But that pairing in the logs would change from time to time depending on your ISP.

Both BC and Cath are correct.

I have Comcast with a dynamic IP and it hasn't changed in three years, even after a few days without power. Verizon DSL on the other hand, will change your IP often, even if you pay extra for a static IP :lol:

The tech has spoken, thanks Gig, it was starting to get heated. :lol:

Both BC and Cath are correct.

I have Comcast with a dynamic IP and it hasn't changed in three years, even after a few days without power. Verizon DSL on the other hand, will change your IP often, even if you pay extra for a static IP :lol:

But that doesn't mean that the ISP is doing some sort of IP disguising as or whatever it was Cath was implying. If you took a Comcast quasi-permanent IP and were able to directly attach to their segment with that address on your ethernet card, then there would be no NAT involved at all. It's not up to the provider to NAT, the customer has to do that whether they have a static or a dynamic addr.

Let me explain it again

You know how an office network works? right>?

Think of Comcast as a BIG office.

Internet>Comcast> City 1 (Static IP) > area 1 (static IP) > Home user (Dynamic IP)

City 1 is the IP shown in my whats my ip. it doesnt change. My neighbor has the same IP

True DMaker. The point which Cath seems to be missing is that regardless if your IP changes or does NOT change your IP address on your public network is not NAT'd or behind a Firewall.

I find it hysterical she keeps telling me to "call up Comcast" when I used to consult for a large vendor that engineered these exact systems for Comcast and other large ISPs. I know how they work because I did all the sales engineering and helped set them up.

Admin

Cath, You may have that setup, but not everyone does.

Let me explain it again

You know how an office network works? right>?

Think of Comcast as a BIG office.

Internet>Comcast> City 1 (Static IP) > area 1 (static IP) > Home user (Dynamic IP)

City 1 is the IP shown in my whats my ip. it doesnt change. My neighbor has the same IP

NO your neighbor does NOT have the same Comcast assigned dynamic IP address. They do not. Go over to your neighbor and ask them what their ip address is and compare it to your own.

Post the last 16 bits of the address on here: xxx.xxx.123.123 like that. No way they are the same. I challenge you to do this !!

Again comcast in my area doesn't work like that. we are set up behind Comcasts firewall. My neighbor and me will have the same external IP.

Comcast sets up a basic Office network for its end users a Private Comcast network. Its not that difficult to understand

I have my own internal > connects to my router > Router to Modem (Modem has a Comcast IP) > goes to a another router at a box in the neighbor hood (Ip address) that goes to Comcast and out to the internet.

They do this to protect the privacy of the end user.

I missed this quote in the frenzy of posts. If what you are saying is true, that would suck. I would hate that kind of connection. I DO NOT want to be on the same segment as my neighbor. I hope you are running a very good firewall. Any one could be scanning you for open tcp ports without even having to go through a perimeter firewall. Also, if you share the same outside IP as your neighbor then you can never host your own services if you wanted to. Well I suppose you could approach your provider and see if they would do a static NAT for you for that, but that is a hassle. But I see what you are saying now. Basically your home connection is setup like most corporate type connections. That's weird.

Cath, You may have that setup, but not everyone does.

I said that. Its why in the begining it depends. But I know my comcast does it this way actuall all of ct comcast users are set up this way unless they pay for static.

Admin

You two should settle this via a mud wrestling contest...

• Upvote 1

NO your neighbor does NOT have the same Comcast assigned dynamic IP address. They do not. Go over to your neighbor and ask them what their ip address is and compare it to your own.

Post the last 16 bits of the address on here: xxx.xxx.123.123 like that. No way they are the same. I challenge you to do this !!

I have done it and will you even believe me if i post it so whats the point. I was suprised when i found out they did it that way. So I called the techs at comcast and asked them.

But you know you said i am basically stupid and don't know what i am talking about

Edited by CathMcmillan