Bait Stations/feeding Stations: Best Food To Use?

Guest mizzousquatchn

Indiefoot, did he take a cheeseburger from the zip lock bag and leave those feathers in return? :lol: I'm joking of course, that's a great set up though. Very good thinking. Some non food items may attract even the most untrusting rascals. That curiosity will be their downfall. Chris B.

I did leave a couple burgers in a paper sack one time and an audio recorder. That was fun. Thumbs down on Burger King. :(

DSC00416.jpg

That ziploc bag had white feathers and sea shells. I have left polished river rocks and cut crystal, I have left sweet corn in gallon size ziploc bags. They are always opened the same way the shell bag was opened. It looks to me like a finger tearing the bag open. Several other folks have examined the bags and have suggested a finger ripping an opening. I figure if I get a few dozen that have been opened the same way and a couple decent latents I'll have something.

BFF Patron

Linked to a picture of a naturally adaptive feeding station with pb jar back in post here

Edited by bipedalist

Tracker LOL!!!!

Red pistashios!! Big bags of them aren't too spendy at Sam's Club. I'd eat some an leave the shells under the bait-station just so you get the idea across. Putting the whole ones in the jar or zip-lock baggie. EVERYTHING loves them. Dogs, cats, birds,deer, it's like the one irrestible treat. With the added benifit of being a quasi-natural item as opposed to micro-wave popcorn, or chocolate bars. Surely shelling a nut is something a BF has done before? Plus spoilage isn't an issue.

Just saying, it's what I'd use....despite Hubby's crying an whining.

Oh...I'd use the natural ones...Red is just mean!

Besides if BF doesn't find them appealing they're great for the walk home! Yum! :D

Edited by grayjay

Guest ChrisBFRPKY

This is a great thread, lots of good info and the occaisional chuckle. I'll see if I can get some pics and post them when I start the baiting process again. I'll remember that about the red pistashios tracker :lol:

bipedalist, I'm not sure exactly how to feed the peanut butter yet. I'm not lucky enough to have a natural feeder like you had. It may go into one of John G's DNA collection box thingies. But that's the whole idea, to find out what they want so we can put it inside one of the little boxes that will catch some DNA evidence. Chris B.

BFF Patron

Thanks Chris, I was able to collect some very fine black hairs from the bark of said station while I used it. Problem being I rather suspect they are raccoon, I figured bear could be ruled out unless they had a signed contract with Barnum & Bailey. Now if somebody could post up a pic of a Sasquatch forearm hair I could be convinced to forward something along, otherwise, I'm good. :lol:

Edited by bipedalist

Guest ajciani

Tracker: Here are the BFRO reports.

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=27613

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=27976

In the Ohio report, the kittens were in a locked shed. Good think the shed was locked.

In the Indiana report, they heard the scream while searching for a kitten. The description of the scream seems like one I associate with "found food". They stopped looking for the kitten. No info beyond that.

Indie: Try providing a diagram on how to open the bags properly. I doubt they will follow it. Apes seem to have a hard time learning. That is, they would rather do things their own way, than learn a new way. If they figure out how to open and reseal the bags from diagrams (and do it), that would be a major discovery.

I have heard several times that fruit juices seem to be favored.

I have also heard that identifiable native foods tend to be favored. For examples, whole ducks (with feathers), whole chickens (with feathers), whole rabbits (not skinned). While processed human foods tend to be ignored.

BTW, I still think that theft has a significant aspect toward taking food.

Edited by ajciani

The reports with the kittens disturbed me. In the last 5 years we've lost more cats than we can keep count of. We usually have no less than a dozen barn cats on the property. When you have livestock and fowl you have feed and that equals lots of mice and rats. The cats are the most effective way of keeping the rodent population under control. We have mostly attributed the cats to the normal wild life predators but there have been a couple instances that just didn't fit.

The one that was most memorable was an older several month old white kitten I found dead in my feed room bleeding from the mouth and nose, there were no puncture wounds or scratches. When I picked her up she just didn't "feel right" first thought was that she had been mangled.

The most disturbing was Marco, my sons favorite cat that got the most attention. I caught hell from him because he had just asked me prior to the cat coming up missing if he could keep him in the house.

Ya know some things just don't make sense and this was one of them. If anyone can give some insight on this I would appreciate it.

*** Is this correct? When an animal drowns it will bloat especially if it's found still in the water?

I found the cat in a water barrel that's kept at the corner of the house to catch the rain water, the cats would get water out of it to drink.

Basically it was right behind where the couch in the living room is. (The barrel is no longer there, I moved it after that to the other side of the house). I found the cat maybe 3 or 4 days after he went missing in the barrel floating. "He was stiff and as FLAT as a board" like he had been run over by a Mack truck. This was a big fat fur ball cat, if it wasn't for the little bit of white on his nose and ear I would not have believed it was him.

ajciani, what you wrote in your post about "whole chickens with feathers", I agree.

We've lost too many to count, but again we attribute mostly to the local predators, especially the possums and coons. It's the odd stuff that we question. Just this past Thursday morning when I went out to feed I realized we had lost another hen, tell tale sign was all the feathers on "the outside" of the pen. No where else was there a feather trail. I did find 2 tracks that were in the frost covered leaves which were interesting enough to take pics of. This area we do not walk, it goes down along the outside of the horse paddock down into the valley. If it wasn't for the small leafy area with the frost, we never would of have found the tracks.

Guest Cervelo

Painthorse

Not sure about the cat that was flattened but coyotes eat lots of cats, small dogs anything smaller than them they will go after. I have not read this whole thread but IMO securing bait in a way that requires hands means nothing. Next time you see dead raccoon on the side of the road stop and look at his hands. Raccoons have been known to swim into water and if a dog follows they will turn around and drown the dog. And I speak from experience on how well they can hang on with their hands its very scary to have a 20lb wounded raccoon latched on to your arm when your stupid enough to not make sure it's dead.

Painthorse

Not sure about the cat that was flattened but coyotes eat lots of cats, small dogs anything smaller than them they will go after. I have not read this whole thread but IMO securing bait in a way that requires hands means nothing. Next time you see dead raccoon on the side of the road stop and look at his hands. Raccoons have been known to swim into water and if a dog follows they will turn around and drown the dog. And I speak from experience on how well they can hang on with their hands its very scary to have a 20lb wounded raccoon latched on to your arm when your stupid enough to not make sure it's dead.

Yup, we do mostly attribute the kills and disapearances to the local wild life and that includes the yotees, it's the weird stuff that leaves you scratching your head.

Sorry to hear about your encounter with the raccoon, did you have to go through the series of rabies injections?

Also what you wrote above "securing bait in a way that requires hands means nothing" brought to mind a situation that just happened this hunting season. We got a 8 point buck and I wanted to keep the antlers. I didn't want to keep the head in the yard so we "wire wrapped it" several times to a fence post so it would decay "away from the yard".

Needless to say, I don't have my rack. Whether coons did it or not, it was wrapped several times, tight, with electric fencing wire.

Paint it almost sounds like something might have stepped on the cat. I suspect this might be one of the ways they nail bunnies.

Edited by treeknocker

Treeknocker mentioned hearing about some people using horse sweet feed. Here's a couple pics from my feed room from awhile ago, fall-winter time. Normally rats, coons and possums will tear into a bag from the bottom. When we set a cam on the feed room area we got a couple inconclusive pics of something and hundreds of pics of our cats, lol. Have no idea what tore the feed bag but when we used the sweet feed as bait in the woods we got nada, except for possums and crows.

The weather here in the Ouachita's has been kicking my butt and a couple weeks ago we had stopped baiting and pulled the cams in. My husband got woke up early on a Friday morning with the wolves and dog going (in his words)-> berserk in kill mode. He heard an unfamiliar "bark" and thought there was a stray dog at the wolf pen, when he looked out the window towards the wolves he saw them lunging at the back fence and saw a biped black object standing just behind the back fence and watched it walk back into the woods.

So, the next step is to use the dog food. The weather is supposed to get better in the next few days so it's time to re-set the cams.

Question for DDA or anyone that has knowledge of the larger primates kept in zoos. Other than fresh fruits and veggies, is there a "primary dietary feed" given to the larger primates in zoos? If there is anything like a monkey chow I could buy I'd spend the money on a bag or 2 just to see what it attracts at the cam stations.

***Can't download the feed bag pics, error message.

Paint back in the day the universal primate feed was called monkey biscuits. I suspect that has been continued.

I can check and see what is up for sources. That might be helpful.

Guest Cervelo

Paint

No rabies shots he never did bite. He looked very dead but when I reached down to pick him up I think it was almost a reflex action he just latched on. It's ok to lol my hunting partner thought it was a hoot and it was, picture two 17yr olds have just shot a raccoon (for reason that remains unexplained the stupid stuff we do at that age) one idiot (me) gos to pick it up and subsequently is running in circles banging a half dead raccoon into trees to get it off his arm good times!

Guest Cervelo

Paint

Also if you've seen biggie snooping around your dog pens..... I'll keep my yap shut and wait to hear more please keep us posted!

Lots of good stuff!

Painthorse, we had the same problem with missing cats!! The yotes always got blamed but I never saw traces of my cats. The fact that you've found a flattened brings one to mind my friend who knows that her cat was flattened by you know who...

Why they do it is beyond me but I had horse feed available because the runs from the stalls were open and hey, no problem, they could just walk in and out as they pleased.

As far as bait? Seems like most of what I take out there gets eaten. Cookies, biscuits, candy, peanut butter cups, raisins, apples, peaches, plums, grapes, marshmallows, pork rinds, crackers, salt and mineral disks, apricots, bananas. Once I took 40 lbs of day old bread, wheat and white, the plastic bags were disposed at my house, we put it all in brown paper lunch bags so it would be biodegradable. Before that I knew for sure that something with a thumb was opening the plastic containers (yes it could have been raccoons) oh well.

But, what happened at least once was very weird. After a few times I decided to take little toys like small balls, stuffed animals and such. They disappeared, that was good I guess, but a couple years ago in the Spring, one of the teddy bears showed up 3 weeks later.

It was dry as if it had been kept out of the weather, except we had had 3 torrential rainfalls during those days. When I got to the spot, he was there face up and I picked it up, looked it over and he had a slit down the back as if someone was looking inside for something. That was strange! They left it at the same spot with the logs and rock in the same arrangement that I left it. :)

!!! Sunflower !!! Whadda cool review on the toys. Was there any odor to it? Reminds me of the story about the stick that disappeared but was brought back and put in the same place ! Fun stuff B)