Bigfoot And Electronic Equipment

TedSallis

Just a goofy theory here...does anyone else think it's possible that BF have some sort of aversion to any and all kinds of electronic equipment, which might, partially at least, explain their apparent extreme shyness around it?

Of course it could just be that they are avoiding the humans HOLDING the equipment, but it seems strange that they always are just out of reach of a good photo or video tape.  Might they be able to sense the equipment and designate it as "bad" somehow?  Could they possibly hear the whirring of the tape, the clicking of the camera?  Perhaps even sense the heat of the batteries and equipment therein?

Like I said, goofy, but just something I was thinking about today...

Pretty sure this idea has been around for a while. 

The highlights (as I see them) involve the creatures being able to smell the gasses given off by plastic, or hear the ultra-high pitched sounds given off by electronics.

Other ideas are that they can simply see trail cameras strapped onto trees.

There are, of course, hundreds of other ideas, these are just the ones that come to my mind.

I posted a thread about them being camera shy, and I fully agree, there is some way they can detect these things. Why that makes them stay away can only be guessed at. But there is definitely something that keeps them wary. Even in therm footage, they are still hiding and peeking and 20 trees deep from where the photographer is. In my opinion, it just lends more credibility to "this is not a big dumb ape" theory.

They can see IR plain and simple. 

Do you have any evidence to support this?

I dont see any way a Hominid Ape could have somehow developed all these adaptations independantly while other large Primates evolving around the planet did not.

I don't believe the digital recorders are a problem for them. I have researcher friends that have had them pick up recorders and mess with them then put them back down on many occasions.

KB

ForestTone -

I don't see how either, but there's not much else that can account for the field observation.   What it suggests is our assumptions about what they are which underlie our assumptions about what they can do are somehow flawed.   Unless you choose to discount data that doesn't fit your pre-conceived notions (how scientific is THAT?), you've got to account for those reports somehow.   I've had it happen TO ME, so I know at least once, without a doubt, some 800+ pound biped came walkin' through the woods changing directions to miss trees on a night so dark I literally could not see my hand in front of my face unless I held it up to block out stars and he was moving probably upwards of 10 mph, didn't hit a tree, didn't run into a branch, nothin' but heavy thudding feet and their swish through the foot high ground cover.   how else do you account for it other than really, truly exceptional night vision?

kbhunter -

"Ditto."

MIB

Guest JiggyPotamus

I am convinced that they use a combination of their senses, which are obviously going to be more highly tuned than ours, due to the fact that they live off their instincts and senses. It would not surprise me if they had an extraordinary ability to see things that are out of place, considering that they spend all their time in a forested environment. I mean we would notice if someone put something in our house most likely. And if that is not the whole answer, it is probably at least part of the answer. Maybe they can hear the inner workings of certain devices, but I do not think most digital devices produce enough sound for that. But sound is likely part of the answer as well. I personally think that smell is a big factor. I think they can smell when a human is or has been in a certain area, given that the wind is favorable, and I think they can smell electronic devices.

Not because they are electronic devices, but because they are foreign to the forest. I think the sasquatch is relatively in tune to its surroundings. And if you think about what these animals MUST be like to have survived under the noses of the smartest creatures on the planet for so long, they must have a great affinity for not only secrecy and seclusion, but for awareness as well. Without above average awareness they would not still be undiscovered today. I also think that many researchers and investigators underestimate the awareness of these animals, and thus they do not achieve very good results. I mean it is almost like tracking a man who is somewhat intelligent, but who has also grown up and lived in the forest his whole life. Except catching the man would be easier, because he couldn't rip your arms off if he was about to be captured. It is likely an amalgamation of all these various aspects I mentioned, and maybe even some I have not mentioned. Maybe they do have a 6th sense to a certain extent.

From what I have seen in my lifetime I am convinced that there are certain people with perception abilities that seem paranormal, but are simply classified that way by many because we do not understand what is going on. So it is entirely possible that the awareness of the sasquatch extends beyond the 5 senses. For example, it has been shown that people can feel when someone is watching them, although for this to be true, there must be something going on that we do not understand. Those are the kind of things I think could be attributed to sasquatch. But I do not think this goes all the way to sasquatch being able to read minds or talk to people in their heads, lol. They are just animals with a heightened awareness, which would be expected from the type of life they live, and the environment they live in as well.

I would say yes, to extremely efficient night vision. Lots of animals have incredible night vision and navigation skills in extreme blackness, and it would make sense for a potential nocturnal apex predator like a Sasquatch to posess that ability. That has evolutionary and biological precedent, while IR vision in Primates does not. Therefore, from a scientific standpoint, IMO, night vision skills seem to be the most likely explanation.

I think there is a good argument to be made that Bigfoot avoids electronic devices.  I personally have an acute sense of hearing and can hear high frequencies emitted by surveillance/security systems in many department stores which no one else in my family seems to hear.  Old Navy stores are the worst!  I had to replace the incandescent halogen light bulbs in the fixture in our bedroom because they emitted a sound that annoyed me.  Again, no one else can hear it.  This is not a super power but rather a condition.  I haven't used it as a survival tool or to hunt with.  Perhaps with practice I could hone the skill to be even more effective.  That being said, I can easily comprehend that a primate/hominid species could have an evolved/adapted sense of hearing that allows them to recognize electronic devices.

My wife has an acute sense of smell.  We often joke that there must be some high paying government job for someone with her "bionic nose".  She has a heightened awareness of mold/mildew which has astounded the rest of our family on many occasions over the years.  She has identified mold and mildew when no one else smelled it and upon further inspection it was confirmed.  Again, it seems very plausible that Bigfoot could have a keen sense of smell that would recognize plastics/chemicals in electronics.  Even if they don't recognize electronics as such, they certainly could recognize them as being alien to their environment.  We're just a couple of regular people who happen to have what seems to be heightened senses.

I would say yes, to extremely efficient night vision. Lots of animals have incredible night vision and navigation skills in extreme blackness, and it would make sense for a potential nocturnal apex predator like a Sasquatch to posess that ability. That has evolutionary and biological precedent, while IR vision in Primates does not. Therefore, from a scientific standpoint, IMO, night vision skills seem to be the most likely explanation.

If Bigfoot has this sense of smell and hearing, coupled with efficient night vision as ForestTone states, is it any wonder they are so hard to find?  

There is a Native American proverb that states; "When a pine needle falls in the forest, the eagle sees it, the rabbit hears it, and the bear smells it."

Maybe Bigfoot does all three?

RJM - I have a heightened sense of hearing too.  When I was in grade school and we got our first Commodore64 computer in the class room I would get headaches each day at school.  Got my hearing tested and I remember the technician asking me to raise my hand when I would hear a noise through the headphones.  He kept shaking his head as the noises got higher and higher pitched.  I thought I was doing something wrong (being 9 years old) but it was because I was detecting noises well outside of normal human range.  Eventually I had to get these horrible ear plugs to wear at school (so not cool!).  Different security systems would bother me as well (airports etc), but as I have grown older it's not as much bother any more - perhaps I have listened to too much loud music. 

However, this does show that even humans can hear outside of normal levels.  Light and sound both work on wavelengths of energy - the thresholds of which we have no idea for BF.  The thing that gets me though are the stories of BF watching TV through windows etc.  What if we but TVs inside cubes made of plate glass with a camera built in - would that work?

They can see IR plain and simple. 

For the sake of arguement, let's say that's true. It just wouldn't matter. "IR Cameras" don't emit IR unTIL the sensor has detected heat or motion, THEN the picture gets taken. IR cameras are NOT, I repeat, NOT sitting around spewing out IR 24/7 to take a picture. This is NOT how they work.

Also, if you think about it, there would need to be a source of IR light naturally occuring at night for the species to benefit from it. There's IR included in the spectrum of energy the earth is bombarded with during the daylight, but what good is THAT to them since you can already see in the daylight. Then when the sun sets, visible and IR from the sun is gone. Having IR enabled eyes with no natural source would do them no good. "Nature" would not have selected a feature to be present and highly developed when there was neither any demand or capablility of using or utilizing it.

GuyInIndiana -

There's something I don't know that maybe you can explain.   HOW DO the trips work on the cameras?   How do they detect motion?   I could see how one might detect heat, but they operate at too great a distance ... I think.

MIB

There always seems to be a lot of confusion about the motion sensors on cameras.  So I spent about 30 minutes on Google and found this.  If I am wrong, someone in the know please correct me.

They work on a passive Infra-red (PIR) trigger.  Everything emits a certain amount of energy that can be observed in the IR spectrum - this is the heat signature.  Hot things will obviously release more of this energy than cold things.  The sensor detects the changes in IR activity (hot body walking past a cooler tree for instance) which activates the trigger.  If the body temperature is too close to the ambient temp, it may result in a non-trigger.  In IR flash models this is when the IR flash goes off.  Up to this point in time it is only sensing, not emitting.

So... if we're assuming Sasquatch has similar body temp to other large Primates, like people for instance, that would render trail cams pretty ineffective in hotter climates, yeah?