The Researchers Habituation And Field Observations Thread "a Place To Discuss Your Activities, Thoughts, Observations, Methods And Results.

NathanFooter

BFF Patron

That length is similar to the one in my picture. I could be entirely coincidental. But the facts are it was placed there, and it does point to the rock markers.

SWWA,

I also found a red teddy bear face down on the logs and rocks where I leave gifts.  It had rained at least three times since I left it there and should have been soggy with water but it was not.  It was dry and still fluffy as if it had been in a protected area for all that time. 

But the most amazing thing was that it had a slit down the back of the bear and looked like a little hand had disturbed the stuffing????  I assure you it was not a dog or any dog that I know of that could have done surgery.

Your pic reminds me of the same type of "slit" as if a knife was drawn across it and so I believe it was the hairy guys that left it for you. 

Did you save it? 

BFF Patron

The thing was so smelly that I did not want it in my truck. It smelled like a combination of feces and B/O. What bothered me is that the stuffing was gutted as if a hand was thrust into the belly. I remember some witness accounts where that is the method for liver removal by BF. If this was in my previous normal fieldwork area, I would be worried as the situation there seems to have gone down hill my last few encounters. But I have not been to this area in months because of the active logging. Unless my truck was recognized and the BF here knew me from the other area, I do not want to even think that this might be some warning. Sometimes a solo field researcher just needs to think good thoughts and hope it had nothing at all to do with me.

There is a missing back packer in the Mt Hood area, missing a week. Weather pretty mild and the snow level very high so it is suspicious.

Edited by SWWASASQUATCHPROJECT

SWWASASASQUATCHPROJECT: I agree. This goes in the weird file. Finding it within a few yards of your truck and as big as it is, you would of noticed it on your way in. Sounds like they left it for you while you were away from the truck. If it was meant as a gift to you, it's a p@ss poor gift. Lol! I wouldn't even know how to interpret it's meaning.

Oh, and out of the four stuffed animals, all very small, only two ever showed up again, the red teddy bear and a monkey.  I found the monkey head only, the body was nowhere to be found.  The ears were cut off or bitten off??? the eyes were still on the head, the head looked as if it had been ripped from the body. 

Now, this particular area seems to be a daycare center.  I have a pic of several little kids, all black, sitting in a wall of vines.  They only peeked out because we turned and started walking away. We heard a twig snap so I asked hubby to stop and put the camera on his head without turning around and take a pic.  A friend took a pic using the same technique and I thank her for the idea.

BFF Patron

In my previous research area something left a deer carcass right by the drivers door of my truck when I was out hiking. Not there when I left and there by the door when I got back. It was cleaned as though some scavenger had it for a long time but I could not understand why a scavenger would take it to the road side of my truck on a fairly busy county road and leave it. The legs were about 20 yards away in cover. Looked and looked for the head and never found it. It had to have been removed some distance away. That is the same location where I got the chest thumping when I bared bottom for the call of nature.

It could be the same bunch of BF. With much of their cover gone at my original field work area because of logging they must have moved someplace. The location with the big toy is about 5 miles East of the chest thumping location. That is a logical direction because it is away from civilization. Other than the size of footprint finds I have nothing to tie one group to another, because they do not show themselves to me. The juvenile is the only one I have managed to see. I can imagine they are scolded when they are small and curiosity drives them to peek at you and be seen. The older ones are so incredibly good at peeking.

Sometimes when I hear people coming that do not know I am there, I will get behind a tree and see if I can hide and not be seen. Humans are so noisy that you often have a lot of warning so most of the time I can hide and they never know I am there. Sort of creepy from a human standpoint, but I think it helps to understand BF if you use their tactics. I just wonder what BF would think of that kind of thing if they saw me do it.

Edited by SWWASASQUATCHPROJECT

• 2 weeks later...
BFF Patron

I was driving back from the Oregon coast today and thinking about the void that is increasing between humans and BF in North America.    During the over 10,000 years BF shared the continent with Native Americans there was not a lot of difference in how the two groups lived.    Tribal differences and probably social structures very different, but NA's basically did things the way BF seems to.     Both hunting deer, gathering vegetation,  etc.    The NA's used tools but not in a way much different in that they both used rock, stone, and natural things.     A rock on a stick is not a lot different than one thrown or used in your hand.   The NA clothing was things associated with their hunting.   Various skins and furs.    Not a lot different than the BF natural appearance and little if any evidence of technology.   Then came the European migration with guns, woven clothing, metal buttons.   That changed things significantly.    In a matter of several hundred years the humans began to display ever advancing technology.   Better guns,   rifle scopes,  FLIR,  and other gadgets which must be a total mystery to BF.    With each wave of technology humans get, the void between their everyday life and how ours is gets larger.   This has to effect how they look at us.   Technology they do not understand has to be frightening to them and has to be driving them further away from any trust with us or mutual understanding.     It has to be making things more difficult for BF research when we are getting ever more frightening to them with each passing year.   

To punctuate my thoughts something threw a rock at my vehicle.    No cars nearby either direction.     I stopped and looked around but did not see anything.      The side it came from was not significantly above the road, it was pretty much level.    Nothing to indicate it as a natural rock fall.   If it was in my research area I would think it was just another sign that the BF are still ticked at me. 

• Upvote 1

I was driving back from the Oregon coast today and thinking about the void that is increasing between humans and BF in North America.    During the over 10,000 years BF shared the continent with Native Americans there was not a lot of difference in how the two groups lived.    Tribal differences and probably social structures very different, but NA's basically did things the way BF seems to.     Both hunting deer, gathering vegetation,  etc.    The NA's used tools but not in a way much different in that they both used rock, stone, and natural things.     A rock on a stick is not a lot different than one thrown or used in your hand.   The NA clothing was things associated with their hunting.   Various skins and furs.    Not a lot different than the BF natural appearance and little if any evidence of technology.   Then came the European migration with guns, woven clothing, metal buttons.   That changed things significantly.    In a matter of several hundred years the humans began to display ever advancing technology.   Better guns,   rifle scopes,  FLIR,  and other gadgets which must be a total mystery to BF.    With each wave of technology humans get, the void between their everyday life and how ours is gets larger.   This has to effect how they look at us.   Technology they do not understand has to be frightening to them and has to be driving them further away from any trust with us or mutual understanding.     It has to be making things more difficult for BF research when we are getting ever more frightening to them with each passing year.   

To punctuate my thoughts something threw a rock at my vehicle.    No cars nearby either direction.     I stopped and looked around but did not see anything.      The side it came from was not significantly above the road, it was pretty much level.    Nothing to indicate it as a natural rock fall.   If it was in my research area I would think it was just another sign that the BF are still ticked at me. 

It will drive you crazy if you let it..............

• 4 weeks later...

Hello and please forgive me for cutting in, but can anyone tell me how to post pictures in this forum ? I took some print pic's via cell phone and i would like to hear your input and analysis.

Thanks !

NW,

Hit the "more reply options" button lower left of reply window, scroll down to "attach file", browse for it, then hit  "attach this file" It just might work, good luck.

Kiwakwe...thank you ! Here are some prints i found in the bottoms where i spent MANY any night. You can tell these prints are not fresh by any means and yes, i took into account that there has been melting going on so prints do expand. But i can tell you with 100% assurance that this is not a old boot print or human in anyway, just for the simple fact of where these prints were located. You can see what i believe to be a fox or small coyote print inside on of the large foot prints. Whatever it was had some weight to it. Look at the depth even though thawing has taken place.... Let me know one and all :)

Thanks!

post-24397-0-08608700-1421860036_thumb.j

post-24397-0-96751600-1421860173_thumb.j

post-24397-0-21146600-1421860275_thumb.j

post-24397-0-70847400-1421860359_thumb.j

Hard to say from these as they've been around for a while. After reading the last 5 pages of this thread, seems you're in an area with definite potential. What is often telling about "decayed" prints in snow are the more frozen, icy initial imprint of compacted snow. The unimpacted edges then melt away from that "center." I think I'm seeing a remenant of this in pic 1 and more of it in pic 3. Pic 1 may have the upper portion of this originally compacted frozen segment melted fully away, hard to say. Pic 3 could be construed as a pssible 9" +/_ original track, from about 6" to 15" on the tape.  Honestly, hard for me to tell, hopefully someone else has a better read on them.

Enjoyed your updates, keep us posted on your findings. And pics, more pics now that your savvy.

Yeah i knew the prints were older and probably wouldn't offer much for evidence, but what really caught my eye was the distance between the prints or stride. From toe to heel was exactly 5ft.

Pretty good stretch lol. Ever since ive turned to "daylight" searching i haven't came across squat !

No tree knocking, no whistles or screams ??

Maybe change is bad :(