The Odor..

Guest Druid

Guest Druid

Hi all,

For some goofy reason while spooling line onto a fishing reel, It pop'd into my head, what if the odor associated with BF is an

intentional release of the anal glands. Now the odor is not a 100% thing with BF. Primates do have anal glands, most mammals

can "release" these glands either on command or when stressor levels reach a particular threshold. Could it be a warning or announcement. almost all animals have better sense of smell than we do (hell we traded all the good stuff for a bigger brain pan and thumbs). It seems to me  this may be a low key "I'm over here, go away" we don't get. what do ya think?

I think you're right. They all seem to have a bit different "aroma", & it seems that they only do it on special occasions.

Maybe it's their calling card.

Well, it remains untested and untestable, but the concept seems sound. 

I think I read that in gorillas it is part of a threat / dominance / mock combat display.   Perhaps if you think you smell something like that in the  woods, you should be on your best behavior, aware of your surroundings, and perhaps back out carefully.

Don't ignore the other explanations.  

I'm going to state, as fact, that not everyone who smells "that smell" perceives it or describes it in the same way.   That's a puzzle. 

MIB

Guest Druid

The individual odor could be well, unique to the individual. My b.o. probably smells different to the next persons, there may be similarities. Affectors may be diet, general health, age, sex. We may be "too evolved" to get the message. Our wrinkled nose and the recognition of an odor may be all that's left of our instinctual identification/reaction process.

Just to clarify My reference to b.o. was a poor analogy. I didn't mean to say b.o. was the same thing as the secretions from anal glands, only odors, though similar are perhaps unique to the individual.

In my military days I found that during long training or maneuver periods with a combined arms armored team of bradley fighting vehicles and M! Abram tanks, that as a crew would perspire the sweat would be new, then begin to ferment, then deteriorate into a more stinkier smell as time went by like weeks, without a bath. But the smells were generally only noticable in someone elses Bradley or tank lol. I couldnt smell my own body, nor those of my men, nor even the inside of the Brad. But if you went over to the next track... whew! and we smelled the same to the others lol. But this odor could be very very strong. I could smell the other tracks lol couldnt id them but I could smell them

They do have an odor of their own, but the ones I've been close enough to smell weren't offensive. One had a kind of mild wet dog smell, one smelled like a wet saddle blanket, & another one smelled like leaf mold/earth.

Some of the bad odors are strong, nasty ones that are reminiscent of extreme body odor or a defective septic system. There are some "others" that I & several others have smelled that are really weird, such as burnt toast, crude oil, cedar, chocolate & citrus....and the infamous cigarette smoke.

SSR Team

Not sure about anal glands, i know other primates have scent glands in other areas of the body too.

Gorilla's for example have glands under their armpits that release odor when they're excited or stressed.

http://www.seaworld.org/animal-info/info-books/gorilla/physical-characteristics.htm

Guest Druid

yep Bobby, all mammals have them several types of glands associated with sweat. most are not controllable, the anal glands in most mammals are under limited control.

I think you're right. They all seem to have a bit different "aroma", & it seems that they only do it on special occasions.

Maybe it's their calling card.

That's the feeling me and Sis got while at a friend's home.  We were sitting in her yard which is absolutely beautiful with trees, flowers, vines, etc.  Sis, Mom and I were facing our hostess just talking and laughing but not loud nor were we trying to make noise to attract any visitors when like a cloud of stink, dropped on our heads.  It was like it glided onto us and I jumped up and turned to my Sis and said "Do you smell it? It's like skunky?"  She had an impression of a more sulphur smell to her nose she said.

Calling card is a great description, I like it.  Just as quickly it disappeared and was gone.  Our friend began to describe the many types of smells she has noticed through the years. 

I also looked over my right shoulder to where the foliage was so thick it was impossible to see through and asked our friend if that's where it might have come from and she said "Yes probably."

Edited by Sunflower

Guest Druid

not to be too crude, odors to animals are mass information dumps. It wouldnt surprise me at all if variations from an individual change on situation (ie  happy, angry, general, greeting, warning)

This is a question I have posed to many researchers, habituators, etc. The general consensus has been they emit this smell when they are irritated you are there or to let you know they are there. I have no idea myself, but will listen to other views on the subject too.

KB

Guest zenmonkey

Id have to bust out the ole text book to make sure but I dont think higher primates use anal glands as any form of display. My honest slightly educated guess would be its just their natural funk sweat, poop thank sorta thing. Apes chimps and orangs are.....for a lack of a better word pretty gross in reality

I just wonder if they have any control over the odour they give off.

I suppose stealth is paramount to a sasquatch. So releasing an unmistakable, over-powering stench when hiding or hunting would not be in their best interests at all.

SSR Team

I'm sure they would Mark, otherwise every encounter would result in smelling them and it isn't.

Interesting stuff folks. My first aroma was a cross between and wet dog, something dead and and open sewer. The surprising thing was it came on very suddenly and strong, but vanished away just about as quickly.

I also have smelled that earthy aroma sasfooty described. The one I found extremely interesting was while with a person who interacts with them on a regular basis. That scent smelled very similar to fresh flowers, but no blooms were present. As with many other things, I don't have any idea what is precisely going on here but interesting none the less....