The Odor..

Guest Druid

No big deal Hiflier. We have lots of Skunk Cabbage coming up here along the Oregon Coast. Now that you mention it, BF might use smelly plants for various reasons such as tick repellants, wound healing, romancing, etc. Since BF hunts deer, my theory is BF uses the horrible odor smell to disguise its natural odor. I think BF rolls in decomposing animals much like dogs to aid its hunting needs.

It could also have a stress smell, that other BFs pick up on as a warning that danger is near. When I'm understress..............this is gross .........but my arm pit sweat glands put out a strong odor in a matter of hours. Does this happen to anyone else out there. I think this is a chemical messenger to other humans in my pack that tells them to cover for me or take the lead role.

Hellogeorgegerm,

Ah my friend, but it IS a big deal. Well it is to me at least because I've not seen it mentioned. I've been reading about middens, anal glands, axillary glands, rolling in carcasses, rolling in dung, and who knows what else. This skunk cabbage idea is a good fit for a lot of this odor stuff. But here's an added kicker as a follow-up fringe benefit. Knowing the environment that this plant prefers it isn't such a stretch to think that such locales would consist of what?.....SOFT SOIL. Prime footprint medium. So to me this is a big deal on several levels. I think it simplifies what has appeared to be a complex issue.

Edited by hiflier

hiflier,

The skunk cabbage is not the culprit entirely because when we got bombed with skunky, sulphur (my sister's opinion) it was fast and very pungent.  It was mid afternoon in Oklahoma, of course nowhere near the PNW but undeniably it was definitely coming from behind us and above us if that could ever make sense.  We both turned to our right and looked over our shoulder and then we sniffed the air above us and within 10 seconds it was gone.

Weird.......yes. There were four of us sitting in a friend's backyard in July with not a breath of wind. 

Sal,

I would agree with what you have experienced when stressed.  I have noticed the same thing sitting in a storm shelter (quite stressful) while a tornado went over us.  It happens..........