N A W A C - Field Study Discussion

slabdog

Guest OntarioSquatch

Hire a guy in a suit to walk in front of the webcam occasionally to keep the subscriptions coming. haha, kidding.

Yes, I was speaking to the competitive advantages we have (where the assumed goal of all species is to spread as far and as wide as possible).

That's an amazing account, isn't it?

It's amazing, yes. It's amazing that it's considered genuine and not a camp fire story. An 800 lb primate can leap 45 feet from a standing position? Really now? That does not sound preposterous to anyone here? A kangaroo can jump 40 feet and a snow leopard, while chasing down prey, can leap up to 15 meters. So we're saying that Bigfoot can reach 15 meters from a standing position? So if it was running, we can only assume it might leap tall buildings in a single bound. So BF is, essentially if we are to believe this account, the longest leaping mammal on the planet. A biped...at 800 lbs? That sounds believable to people? 

Oh, and BF knows how to use sticks to build structures, weave figures for gifting bowls, bang on trees to make noise...but hasn't figured out that a stout stick would make a better ( and safer) weapon than bare fists?

I am sorry, but I find nothing credible in this story at all. The fact that it's posted on the site as a credible encounter is, in my opinion, a scarecrow for serious scientists. No wonder they may want to steer clear. 

What does your suggestion have to do with the text you quoted?

You said the thread was to share with interested parties. I thought "hey! what better way to share, than put up a webcam, PLUS, you could fund your work"

I also wanted to make it clear that I am not closed-minded.  I just require more evidence to believe you have Apes there.  

PS, if you did put up a live webcam, I would buy a subscription, if it was under 10.00 and it was 24hours/day

Quote from DMAKER: 

"...So we're saying that Bigfoot can reach 15 meters from a standing position? So if it was running, we can only assume it might leap tall buildings in a single bound. ..."

post-22377-0-26107200-1374684494_thumb.j

• Upvote 1

So BF is, essentially if we are to believe this account, the longest leaping mammal on the planet. A biped...at 800 lbs? 

They're not exclusively bipedal. Or, they don't move bipedally in an upright way when they want to move quickly. We have several witnesses who have seen them run in an extremely bent-over fashion on multiple occasions (legs pumping, back essentially horizontal to the ground). In any event, "bipedal" seems to have other flavors than just one we employ. 

Oh, and BF knows how to use sticks to build structures, weave figures for gifting bowls, bang on trees to make noise...but hasn't figured out that a stout stick would make a better ( and safer) weapon than bare fists?

We've never observed or documented any structures that appeared to be built by wood apes in X. WRT to using sticks as a weapon, we don't know they don't know that. Chimps can do it. Orangs use them for other purposes. We can't say wood apes do, too, because it hasn't been observed, but it's plausible to think they might. 

WRT to believability of the claim, based on the speed in which I saw them move? And the handful of other times we've seen their speed on display? Yeah, it's within the range of my credulity.

^^ It's not so much the speed, but the 45 foot jump from a standing position that is claimed. 

Some other little niggling bits also like why didn't the hunter shoot? How does an 800 lb primate land silently? The hunter could see they yellow of their fingernails, but didn't shoot?  Just a lot of it that doesn't really add up or seems to stretch to the breaking point any reasonable credibility. 

Most folks don't take much time to think about the capabilities of wild animals in general.  There's nothing in that account that seems that incredibly much of a stretch to me, given some of the things other primates can do.

How does a 600-pound tiger sneak up on something?  Nobody seems to question that, huh?

Why didn't the hunter shoot?  Um, well, many hunters don't shoot, at all kinds of stuff.  It's very reasonable for a hunter to decide that shooting might not be the best thing, particularly if it refocuses an angry and very large animal on him.  He says in his account that he felt the animal could have swatted him out of his stand anytime it wanted to.  If I think there's any chance it won't do that if I hold my fire, I'm holding my fire.

To those who understand stuff about hunting and animals, there's nothing really stretchy in that account at all.  Particularly when one adds the realization that most of us don't judge distances that precisely, and those numbers might be off.  My giving you an estimate doesn't mean that the thing I'm telling you about didn't happen.

No stretch at all? So you think an 800 lb primate can leap 45 feet from a crouch? Seriously? So if flat out running and leaping, what distance would you say SuperFoot could leap?

You said the thread was to share with interested parties. I thought "hey! what better way to share, than put up a webcam, PLUS, you could fund your work"

I also wanted to make it clear that I am not closed-minded.  I just require more evidence to believe you have Apes there. 

PS, if you did put up a live webcam, I would buy a subscription, if it was under 10.00 and it was 24hours/day

Based on many of your previous posts, I am quite surprised to see you make such an offer. Especially so, because in the past you have basically said many times that such an animal existing in that area is an impossibility. If I were a more suspicious person I would think you were encouraging them to do just the thing that so many people love to accuse them of doing........somehow profiting from telling tall tales.

I'll tell you what. Go ahead and start sending me $9.99 a month, and I will send you monthly videos of an EXTRA SQUATCHY area behind the infamous Home Depot in San Antonio. I have to go in there later to pick up some supplies anyway.

As a paid in full "Squatch-cam Insider©", I will also send you a newsletter with reviews of Blue and White tents, my "tree trunk Ribs" recipe, and discuss the rumors that Missing 411 Volume III might be in the works, and might possibly be about all of the homeless people who used to be back there behind the Home Depot, but aren't anymore. Act now!!! The first ten subscribers get to try on the real Patty suit.

No stretch at all? So you think an 800 lb primate can leap 45 feet from a crouch? Seriously? So if flat out running and leaping, what distance would you say SuperFoot could leap?

I'd sure love to see the animal confirmed so we could find all this out.

The skeptical take is such a blatant non-starter that I'd rather find out about the 45 feet.

Tigers have padded feet, do they not? 

...and I'm sure we have an explanation for this one too.

Moose don't have padded feet.  I once had one practically dematerialize, mere feet in front of me, in Maine.  I don't think magic was involved.

I tend not to underestimate animals.

But that an animal could do something like that pretty quietly has...well, it has too much precedent in what I see animals as capable of doing for me to simply say "that's impossible, so bigfoot doesn't exist."

That thousands of people are having a biologically correct melange of hallucinations; lies; misidentifications; practical jokes....well, no one can ask me to just believe that.  Let's do the logical thing, and follow the evidence that says there's an animal to find.

I don't think that I would characterize a 45 foot crouching silent leap from an 800 lb primate as "biologically correct".  To do so is more like wishful thinking in my opinion and a refusal to recognize what is probably an outright fabrication in a favourite report.