N A W A C - Field Study Discussion

slabdog

After listening to Bigfoot Show episode #51, I thought long and hard about what it would be like attempting to track an animal that was not only incredibly stealthy and elusive, but possibly the most intelligent animal besides humans. There was a story last year about a captive Orangutan at a zoo who would was repeatedly escaping its' enclosure. They ended up having installing video cameras to see how he was escaping....

Stones finally managed to catch Fu Manchu in the act. First, the young ape climbed down some air-vent louvers into a dry moat. Then, taking hold of the bottom of the furnace door, he used brute force to pull it back just far enough to slide a wire into the gap, slip a latch and pop the door open. The next day, Stones noticed something shiny sticking out of Fu's mouth. It was the wire lock pick, bent to fit between his lip and gum and stowed there between escapes.

Now imagine animals that are possibly far more intelligent and resourceful than this. Then consider the possibility that they might work in groups to purposefully distract and misdirect intruders. Take that animal and imagine them with all the stealth of a Cougar, but also add a coat of dark hair that is essentially a natural Ghillie suit, perfect camouflage for disappearing into shadowy underbrush. Imagine that animal is also incredibly fast and powerful, with highly developed nocturnal vision.

If such an animal truly exists, I doubt even the most adept hunter alive would be capable of stalking one through even sparse cover, let alone dense vegetation with limited visibility.

Edited by Irish73

That Fu Manchu story is a favorite. And one that EVERYONE interested in this field needs to know. Great apes are really smart. They can do amazing things. Far smarter and resourceful than any other animal in North America, probably. 

And I don't care if you have the wilderness skills of Tom Brown and Bear Grylls combined...you are still going to be only a visitor to this animal's "home."  Humbling to realize how truly inadequate the modern human is to cope with environments like this on anything close to an even footing with whatever occupies it full-time. What the NAWAC is attempting to do is difficult in the extreme. That they've actually come close to doing it is remarkable to me.

^^ Tom Brown Jr. (can't speak for Bear Grylls) readily concedes that too.

That Fu Manchu story is a favorite. And one that EVERYONE interested in this field needs to know. Great apes are really smart. They can do amazing things. Far smarter and resourceful than any other animal in North America, probably. 

I have long considered both extremes - the "oh there's no way bigfoot can do that!" and "they do x, ergo they are human" to be indicative of serious information deficit with regard to the capabilities of apes.

^^ Tom Brown Jr. (can't speak for Bear Grylls) readily concedes that too.

Yep, and that from a guy (to hear him tell it, a least) who counted coup on a Grizzly and (narrowly) lived to regret it!

Just spitballing here..........

From what I have gathered, it sounds like some animals are inclined towards investigating the cabins at night. I still think that a potentially rewarding strategy would be to cover the entire perimeter of the structure with game-cams. I would pull enough cameras to cover all sides of the structure, positioned so that they have overlap in their fields of view. If they won't approach the cabin because of the cameras, at least you can sleep a bit more peacefully knowing that they won't be creeping on you while you're asleep. I know I have mentioned this before, but I was curious if this has ever been considered.

Overall, do you feel that tree-stands have been a successful tactic as far as trying to avoid being noticed?

I suspect that some well trained hounds may be the best bet towards actually trying to find them, as opposed to baiting them in. Have you guys considered collecting the rocks they throw as a scent signature for tracking dogs? Team members would need to keep something similar to a DNA collection kit to avoid contaminating the scent while collecting the rocks. It's a long shot, but considering the sheer number of rock throwing incidents reported by team members, it might be worth investigating.

Edited by Irish73

As far as tracking dogs go Irish....I think I can predict the answer Bipto would give. For an animal that is able to cover as much ground, as fast as this one has been observed to do, I wonder what such a merry chase would get you in the end. Given the accounts I've read, it might also be a good way to lose a good hunting dog too. 

All the descriptions about Area X is nearly the same as where we used to live in OK.  My land was completely cleared except for one giant Pecan tree in the north pasture.  To the south and across the road was just a jungle of small, medium and pretty large trees.  And scrub oaks grow all the way to the ground and take a machete if you plan on walking through it and watch out for the scorpions too. They like dry and hot areas, preferably in a wood pile, natural or otherwise.

And if you have ever seen a herd of Tarantulas cross the road near Harrah it's guaranteed you will never forget that sight.  Hubby and I were rubbing our eyes and squinting to make sure it was what we thought it was.  We estimated a couple hundred!!!   Astounding!

I don't think we have ever described Area X as having been ever "completely cleared"...in fact, I would argue the opposite.  Area X has old growth trees present as well as a lot of other uneven aged trees. There is no evidence that the land was ever clear cut at all.

Guest VASquatchin

Have you guys noticed any use of trees (other than hiding behind) in X? I have heard many people reporting some of the smaller/younger guys hanging out in the trees and even moving from tree to tree. I am so intrigued by what you guys are doing! I have been working my way through the Operation Persistence thread a d am about halfway done... I apologize if you have already answered a question in regard to tree use...

Have you guys noticed any use of trees (other than hiding behind) in X? I have heard many people reporting some of the smaller/younger guys hanging out in the trees and even moving from tree to tree.

One of the family members had this encounter while hunting:

While sitting in a tree stand hunting deer, the witness noted movement in a large tree about sixty yards north of his position (his stand faced west). Because of the black coloration, his initial thought was that a crow or some other large bird had landed. This momentary impression quickly evaporated as he realized the motions were those of an arm, not wings, belonging to an animal much larger than a crow. The estimated height of the creature, which he was now sure represented a primate of some sort, was at least three to four feet. It was observed for about six seconds. The animal most reminded him of a chimpanzee, but the color of the facial skin was dark brown; the witness emphasized the absence of the distinctive pinkish face typical of chimps. The animal was standing erect on a branch about twelve feet or so above ground. The witness said he could not see the feet or lower portions of the legs. The animal appeared to look at him, then turned and vanished into the foliage.

We've had about four of five members observe something similar in trees. One of our members has reported illuminating one with his flashlight up in a tree and then observed it throw a rock overhand which landed near his foot. Kathy saw something very much like what this report describes (though without as much detail) twice and I was able to see it the second time she did. About the size of a full-grown labrador, black, leaping from tree top to tree top. I didn't see an arm or anything like that, but it's hard to come up with another animal it could have been (though I'm open to suggestions). It definitely wasn't a squirrel or a raccoon or a bird (far too large and the wrong color). 

As kathy said, this was discussed in BFS 051.