N A W A C - Field Study Discussion

slabdog

Why would you suspect that a Wood Ape, who has the ability to make loud primate-like vocalizations, would need to utilize a chunk of firewood to make a signalling knock?  I would think a deep vocalization would travel far more distance than a wood-knock, especially from a short stubby piece of fire wood.

Can you specify an instance where a sound that could be deduced to come from a short piece of fire wood was knocking against something?

If you already did bring this up, I am sorry, I either missed it or have forgotten about it.  

Could be an avoidance tactic so as not to alert prey they are triangulating and hunting.   Wood knocks aren't alarming; vocalizations would be. 

I've been on vacation and down with the flu and am not reading to the end of the thread before responding to questions...

Someone in my group said it best, so I'll just steal their take on this subject:

Beyond that, and in comparison to Coy, et. al., I think the major difference is the nature of our respective claims. We leave it to the reader to make their own conclusions regarding which they'd like to believe. 

What proof would you accept?

Thanks Bipto.

As to habituation -- yes, there is a big difference in what your org. is claiming and the claims of chummy forest friends that seem the lot of most habituation stories. But there are similarities in that NAWAC claims it has located a small colony of undocumented primates, has been visited by these very large primates for weeks if not months on end, over a period of several years, and has experienced them during daylight too, and to date is asking others to trust that the claims are true blue and clear eyed ("we're either lying, or we are really experiencing what we say we are,") in lieu of hard evidence.

As to what proof would I accept -- I'm easy. Just a really good video would do. You could employ a professional wildlife photographer to do the job. Of coarse, the point I was suggesting is that having nightly visitations again and again and again and again and again, etc., and nothing to show for it, is odd.

I know that nothing from here on out will change what you have stated about encountering wood apes in Area X, in your mind. But I wonder if nothing happens in the future, if the wood ape experience at Area X dries up eventually, will folks in the Bigfoot community believe that you really did experience it, or will they think "maybe," or will they begin to doubt?

Brian do any of your team members seem to attract the attention of the BF more than others? I seem to remember Kathy writing that she thought they may have been curious about her higher voice and that may have caused them to come closer.

I think that's a great question, Jan. I'll be interested to hear the answer. If yes, perhaps there's a way for NAWAC to use that to their advantage.

Guest zenmonkey

Brian do any of your team members seem to attract the attention of the BF more than others? I seem to remember Kathy writing that she thought they may have been curious about her higher voice and that may have caused them to come closer.

No wonder Bob loves her so much!! ;) jk kathy!!

I don't know that we have the data to prove the idea that some people are more inclined to stimulate ape interest than others. It may be the case, but it's also the case that some people are a lot better at keeping thorough journals and others are more observant of their surroundings (having spent more time there or in the woods in general).

I think it's possible. Even probable. But unless the data can support it, it's just educated conjecture like so much else. 

Does the group ever try provoke action, like going into area that the creatures might see as intrusive?

I mean going out into the dark in the forest and seeking to provoke an encounter, I would suggest having

a spot light to blind one if you should succeed, or is it a lay low and let them come to you, and then seek

to obtain a clear target?  I guess it would depend on how territorial they feel about a certain area, have you

ever had a bluff charge, or other territorial display?  They generally are not scared of weapons as some

have testified, though most of the users would say it was not remotely in their thoughts to use the weapon

do to the size and power of the target.  I guess the general question is how aggressive do you guys get

in getting them to react, or does that strategy have the opposite effect causing them to shut down?  It seems

that a spotlight can temporarily immobilize them, maybe providing an opportune moment to react...My interest

is to see a specimen collected for the betterment of the whole, a sacrificial lamb of sorts, and I say that with

the absolute and utmost respect for the individual and the specie as a whole admitting that I hold a high

view of the intelligence and perhaps humanish inclinations of the creature. 

Edited by Lake County Bigfooot

I guess the general question is how aggressive do you guys get in getting them to react, or does that strategy have the opposite effect causing them to shut down?  

We've employed a variety of approaches but the one that seems to work best, at least IMO, is being as non-aggressive as possible. It seems as though at least some of their activities are intended to get a response from us. If we don't respond, they'll often ratchet up the behavior. If we do, they retreat and (presumably) observe. We want them to come as close as possible, so the "I'm not listening to you" tactics seem to work best for that. 

That makes perfect sense given the curious nature of these creatures, I guess we provide a sort

of sitcom for them, seeing our reactions must provide endless delight.  Obviously they hold the

cards and deal them as they see fit.  It must be ultimately frustrating to have them so close and

yet so far.  Hope that your success will be without harm to any of your team, and if in fact you do

take one down that you can retrieve it before they do, which is harder in my opinion than taking

one down, if you think back to Honoobia...Thanks for the answer, I am glad to see some real discussion

again.

My daughter tries the "I'm not listening to you" tactic on me.

I am smart enough not to fall for it.

I guess the Apes aren't as smart as me then. LOL Win!

You'd think they would be to smart too fall for your pretending to not listen to them. I mean considering that they are too smart to run in front of a game cam, or to get caught taking a poo by one of your marksmen.

They know our intentions and are willing to interact with those who respect them.   Honesty is paramount.   Deception has no place at the table.  They are far more intelligent than we are.  And much more intuitive.   Can't fool them.