Establishing Study Area Predictability

Today our main focus in the Olympic Project is relentless documentation of our core study areas.  We are looking for patterns in all evidence gathered, trying to get to subject / species predictability.  It's a tall order, but we are making progress.  We are learning what time of year, and at what elevation to look for tracks.  We're also learning about predator movement when the apex predator is around, probable food sources as per time of year and so on.  In my, and other core members of the Oly Project's opinion, trying to establish predictability is the most effective way to eventually / hopefully be able to study Sasquatch in their natural environment.  It's a very tedious, slow, not made for TV type of study.  It takes countless hours in field and much patients.  I would love to hear others advise and opinions on this subject.

DR

Derek- I highly comend your work in the field and when/if verification ever comes then your study would be benifical in disperment/population studies that are inclueded in the documentation processes toward the federal endagered species act. Very, very valuable study sir and very benifical to the betterment of the Sas.

Very cool, Derek!  Good luck with your endeavors!

We are looking for patterns in all evidence gathered, trying to get to subject / species predictability. 

That is what I'll be focusing on this summer also - I've gone back to the area where I have had these unexpected things happen last summer. Taking note of water changes with the river system, the way food availability changes with the seasons and how weather and human activity may play a part in their potential migration routes and where they stay for extended periods of time.  I suspect this will take several years of going out there repeatedly and finding commonalities.  I hope that I will be able to experience again what happened last summer in the same time frame and in the same general location.  In my thread in the "In the Field" section, I'm documenting what I'm finding, or not.  I'm searching for those patterns of behavior.  

The winter has been slow and boring.  I hope it picks up soon!  I met another friend today who is willing to go out there and hike, so now I have two buddies to head into the hills with - that makes us a group of six (three adults and three tweens).  I hope it'll get interesting here with something to report!

Edited by madison5716

Many thanks for the update Derek.

I can only commend you on your patience. Trying to understand and then hopefully forecast existing, age old behavior and movement patterns would also be the best approach in my opinion.

As a professional forecaster utilising BF data in this way appeals very much to me. Of course obtaining this data, is as you say, will be a painstaking experience. There will no doubt be seasonal factors at play here which means data collection could literally take years. However, the alternative pretty much means sifting through that haystack looking for that very small needle.

Good luck Derek and I hope you keep us posted on your findings.

Hello Derek,

Would searching through existing data and archived reports help? Of course you may have done just that already but pattern recognition may be aided by a collection or cataloguing sightings and/or evidence into an order of sorts depending on the timing of the witness reports for the region you are focusing on. Just throwing out my two rocks worth here. I do appreciate the fact that it's the science of investigating that you are using in your quest and have asked the good questions.

I think a lot of members already know they would proceed similarly in their own searches had they the time/money.

Edited by hiflier

SSR Team

Many thanks for the update Derek.

I can only commend you on your patience. Trying to understand and then hopefully forecast existing, age old behavior and movement patterns would also be the best approach in my opinion.

As a professional forecaster utilising BF data in this way appeals very much to me. Of course obtaining this data, is as you say, will be a painstaking experience. There will no doubt be seasonal factors at play here which means data collection could literally take years. However, the alternative pretty much means sifting through that haystack looking for that very small needle.

Good luck Derek and I hope you keep us posted on your findings.

Mark we've been doing this for the best part of a year now and desperately need more hands on deck with the BFF SSR database that we are building.

Do you want to help ?

Please ?

Guest JiggyPotamus

I am convinced that sasquatch behavior can be highly predictable, but we are still some distance away from understanding enough about these creatures to predict certain aspects of their behavior. However, there are some things that I believe can be used to the researcher's advantage, ideas which take advantage of the similarities between most, if not all, mammals. The problem with predicting the behavior of sasquatch, as opposed to other animals, is the fact that sasquatch is more intelligent than other animals, including primates. Humans are probably the only animals more intelligent than sasquatch. Well let's just say sasquatch is the smartest mammal aside from humans. Comparing dolphin and sasquatch intelligence, for instance, is useless for the most part.

But, the more I study sasquatch, and the more I attempt to piece together the associated puzzles, I have come close to settling on the idea that sasquatch are NOT all that intelligent. Even if they are smarter than a chimp, for instance, does not mean that they are all that intelligent, considering the gap between chimpanzees and humans. I have heard at least one scientist claim that the gap between the greatest human genius, and the humans of lower intelligence is actually greater than the gap between chimps and humans, but I don't know if that is true. It doesn't really sound like it to me, but I don't know.

I think that the main reason sasquatch seem intelligent is that they avoid humans. That does not take intelligence. And the second greatest aspect that makes them appear to be intelligent is their ability to function highly within their environment. So they are intelligent really only in their environment. They could probably pick up skills if they were trained by a human, like a chimpanzee, but these types of things will never be realized in the wild. And what exactly is the environment of the sasquatch? I would say the forest, lol. Seriously though, I do not think that sasquatch live anywhere outside the forest. They may sometimes go to the desert, or to open plains, but they would never base their lives at such a location. The main reason that we know this is that sasquatch are ambush predators. This is at least what the sighting record suggests, and therefore they need tree cover to ambush their prey.

What does all this have to do with what you were talking about in your opening post? I don't know, haha. Actually, I just want to make the point that we have to find a balance between treating sasquatch like any other dumb animal, and attributing too much intelligence to them. So sometimes we may figure that a certain sasquatch behavior was done because these animals are smart, but the truth may be that it was simply an instinctual action. The major area that bothers me is whether they avoid humans instinctually, or avoid us because of their smarts. Or maybe they instinctually avoid us, but use their intelligence to do it in a better way. 

I personally believe that the most effective way to draw in sasquatch is food. But, I am talking about something like raw meat being cooked on a fire, something that produces a distinct aroma that can travel some distance. This can be a dangerous method if there are bears around I'm sure, but IF there is a sasquatch in the vicinity, I do not think they would resist such a smell. They would want to get a bit closer. I think the trick is to start producing this smell when the sasquatch are hungriest. This would probably be after they awaken. Personally I would do this at about 1 or 2 in the morning. I think people make a mistake when investigating strictly at night, not worrying about the morning hours. But, I am not all that confident regarding sasquatch sleeping patterns. Good luck with your expedition.

Today our main focus in the Olympic Project is relentless documentation of our core study areas. We are looking for patterns in all evidence gathered, trying to get to subject / species predictability. It's a tall order, but we are making progress. We are learning what time of year, and at what elevation to look for tracks. We're also learning about predator movement when the apex predator is around, probable food sources as per time of year and so on. In my, and other core members of the Oly Project's opinion, trying to establish predictability is the most effective way to eventually / hopefully be able to study Sasquatch in their natural environment. It's a very tedious, slow, not made for TV type of study. It takes countless hours in field and much patients. I would love to hear others advise and opinions on this subject.

DR

Derek,

Do you feel that there are migration patterns completely out of the peninsula? Or do they reside only there all year around? Or is there a split in the population? For instance like established troupes staying in the area all year around while young adult males migrate.....

If I felt there was a migration taking place I would look for topographical and man made choke points in which to concentrate my efforts.

Norse,

At this point I believe they stay on the Peninsula year round.  They can exit on the South end very easily, but the thing about the Olympic Peninsula is IMHO, they have everything they need right there.  There is ample cover, Massive vegetation,  abundant rainfall, salt and fresh water.  The terrain provides the best case scenario for cover.  The rivers are seasonally rich with Salmon, and the land is full of Deer and Elk.  I think it's the perfect Sasquatch habitat.

That being said, I do think they migrate on the peninsula to different locations depending on Salmon runs, Elk calving, weather conditions and wild berry consumption.  I actually think we're getting a pretty good handle on when and why.  For example, right now I'm concentrating on Southern slopes between 2,000 to 3,000 FT.  Last month and the month before it was 1,000 to 2,000 ft.  The problem is, this time of year it's really hard to find tracks at those elevations, especially with dry hot weather.

Hiflier,

Searching the sighting record does help a lot, and I think that's pretty effective, depending on the accuracy of the available reports.

Bobby O,

Love to help

DR 

Hello Derekfoot,

Ok. No on has to date specifically asked me to do a search or record any pertinent info for a given area. And that includes you, my friend LOL! But You've come the closest of anyone so you get first dibs. I'll have a good looksee for a couple of weeks and post what I find. I agree with everyone here on this thread with the idea of predictibility. The OP is unique in that it's habitat is geographically bounded and so would make a good candidate for this kind of pursuit and study. Looking forward to it.

Norse,

At this point I believe they stay on the Peninsula year round.  They can exit on the South end very easily, but the thing about the Olympic Peninsula is IMHO, they have everything they need right there.  There is ample cover, Massive vegetation,  abundant rainfall, salt and fresh water.  The terrain provides the best case scenario for cover.  The rivers are seasonally rich with Salmon, and the land is full of Deer and Elk.  I think it's the perfect Sasquatch habitat.

That being said, I do think they migrate on the peninsula to different locations depending on Salmon runs, Elk calving, weather conditions and wild berry consumption.  I actually think we're getting a pretty good handle on when and why.  For example, right now I'm concentrating on Southern slopes between 2,000 to 3,000 FT.  Last month and the month before it was 1,000 to 2,000 ft.  The problem is, this time of year it's really hard to find tracks at those elevations, especially with dry hot weather.

The mountain Gorilla can be found very high up in the mountains, up to 14000 ft. And I have found an interesting report of tracks being found in the Selkirks up high in winter time. Is most of your expeditions concentrating on lower areas? Or do you find sign of them up high as well? The Olympic mountains are more of an Island than say the Cascades so I suppose they would not have to cross them if they didn't want to. They could just walk around them. But if they are crossing them, there could be specific passes they use that might help you concentrate your efforts?

Also, best of luck out there and be safe!

• 4 months later...
SSR Team

I'm going to give some numbers regarding the Olympic Peninsula over the next couple of days on this thread.

SSR Team

I couldn't wait that long.

Ok here's some tidbits, in no particular order, of 139 sightings on the Olympic Peninsula that we've researched so far.

Sightings by month :

23 - July

20 - October

15 - April

15 - August

14 - September

12 - June

09 - January

08 - March

07 - November

06 - December

05 - February

05 - May

** The remainder aren't dated **

89.9% of Olympic Peninsula reports are at under 1,000ft in elevation.

Of the 14 reports that are above 1,000ft in elevation, August has 4, April has 2, June has 2, October has 2 and Feb/Mar/Jul/Sept all have one.

The months of Nov/Dec/Jan do not have a report over 1,000ft from the 139 we have researched.

4 reports reported a form of speech.

29.3% of Class A reports involved road crossings.

The six months of Nov/Dec/Jan/Feb/Mar/Apr only made up 24% of Class A sightings.

91.3% of all Class A Sightings were under 1,000ft in elevation.

Since the year 2000 there have been 63 sighting reports, with the months of October ( 10 ), September ( 9 ), August ( 9 ) and July ( 9 ) being the most fruitful months,

These numbers, specifically the elevations, differ quite considerably to other parts of WA State.

The high number of road crossings is significant where elevations are concerned due to there not being any main roads that use higher elevations on the Peninsula, unlike other areas of the State.

Highway 101 for example ( correct me if i'm wrong someone but i thought of this recently when there ) rarely travels at any kind of elevation over 500ft or so it seems and mainly sticks to the coastal areas, around the National Park and Forest.

Another thing to note where elevation is concerned is that these Animals could highly likely make up 4,000ft in elevation in an afternoon/evening but we can only use the location of where the reports were from of course.

Interesting stuff and the more work we do, the more numbers we have to play with.

We could break this down so much more of course even now but for the time being, it's some food for thought. ;)

Edited by BobbyO
  • Upvote 1

BFF Patron

Great data BobbyO.  That warm,dry summer seems to get their curiosity up it seems.  I would imagine being close to the lower elevation gives them some clam digging opportunities too. 

SSR Team

Absolutely, and to me it's no coincidence that when you break things down further and look at Kitsap Count with its 250 miles plus of shoreline, we see much more winter month activity than do anywhere else in the entire state.

The months of Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb and March see 38% ( 8/21 ) of the counties reports in total ( with April and October either side both on 0 ) and with Class A's at 35% in those months and February which is widely seen to be the most " inactive " month having 2 Class A sightings which makes it the joint third most common month to see a Sasquatch in Kitsap County.