Establishing Study Area Predictability

I remember stories here about how once someone figured out where BF ''was'', the Ego-footers like Moneymaker came in and followed ''them around''...etc...

What you make public, becomes public info, just sayin'.....

SSR Team

I am fully aware of that Wag and appreciate you saying that.

It's why I release what I want, when I want and generally drip feed stuff..;)

There's always a reason too, a method behind the madness shall we say...;)

Edited by BobbyO

I couldn't wait that long.

Ok here's some tidbits, in no particular order, of 139 sightings on the Olympic Peninsula that we've researched so far.

Sightings by month : (list omitted)

** The remainder aren't dated **

BobbyO,

Just eye-balling it, that list of encounters by months looks like it would produce a graph similar to mine for eastern bigfoot - some spikes would be off, but that could be SSS. 

For us easterners, is the OP a temparate rain forest? I think of that areas as damp and dreary like England, but not necessarily cold and snow-covered. 

Just wondering.  Trogs

SSR Team

Temperate rain forest yes.

LOTS of rain, damp and dreary very much like England yeah ( I haven't seen the sun for two weeks ) but obviously the higher elevations of the Peninsula gets snow and lots of it.

The lower parts don't so much though but the Peninsula, even the lower elevations in the main, would still get more snow than the UK.

post-136-0-77661200-1386150846_thumb.jpg

My two cents:

1) the longer the fewer people can stay in one remote location, the better.  NAWAC has what may be the only viable approach for citizen scientists:  rotating small teams with unobtrusive changeovers for a long-term group presence that doesn't significantly disturb the surroundings.  If anybody with considerable overnighting experience has weeks or months of free time coming up, you might have your "Jane Goodall."  You'd need of course to work out resupply.  If the research location is small-craft navigable, being able to paddle to a road crossing would be one unobtrusive way to go; alternatively, several folks could hike it in with their less-frequent time off.

2) Road crossings may be at frequent travel locations.  If a few of those can be located, put cameras at the most promising-looking ones, e.g., where either tracks or a game trail are found at or near the spot.  Maybe if somebody got lucky with an extra deer/elk, might be worth hanging the carcass in view of that camera; there sure seem enough reports of these animals messing with hung game.

3) Can local outfitters/publications/papers/magazines be used to get word out about what you're planning?  Might get some leads, offers to overnight on property, etc.

More as I think of it, but wanted to toss that off.  Best of luck.

Edited by DWA

I like this idea of predictability, but even in the figures BobbyO has submitted we need 

to account for where humans are at those times of the year, because obviously most

sightings will occur where most humans come into contact with this environment, so to

negate that factor what steps are we utilizing to remove that variable.  We could take 

sightings only from areas that do not have significantly different seasonal human presence

and interaction with those environments.  This is just a thought, I think that Dereks approach

in effect does negate these elements, where sighting data does not.  We can learn from

both equally but to derive anything accurate from sighting data we would have to understand

how to negate the white noise so to speak.  So we would need to have a stable population

that does not change with elevation, which would not change it's interaction with the environment

from season to season, which is not likely, in order to negate the white noise from the data.

Predictability is still possibly derived by simply location, where are the sightings occurring, yet

human presence is always going to skew the numbers.  I mean I would rather attempt to research

an area that has frequent sightings than not, regardless of whether that number is higher due to higher

human interaction.  So the areas of greatest potential are those with the greatest number of sightings

with the least amount of human interaction, that demonstrate this trait over significant periods of time

in order to rule out anomalies.  Stats boys and girls, please report to the BRFO so we can 

purchase our Squatchers Hot Spots Maps :sungum: I am just following logic here.  Given this logic

my area would have very, very, few individuals. vs. an area with much less density of population

and much more frequent sightings, unless such individuals had obtained the ability to avoid detection

to a greater degree, which introduces another variable.

Edited by Lake County Bigfooot

• 1 month later...

Derekfoot,

2014 marks 20 years of bigfoot research/looking for bigfoot, or whatever you want to call it, for me. I've kept field notes/journal since 1995. My study area is about 100 square miles and the elevation ranges from 500ft to just under 5000ft. And in the 20 years of researching/looking I've learned that the bigfoots can be active at anytime of day, night, moon phase, weather, season, habitat, elevation, etc. Just when you think you have figured them out, they change. But I do know one thing from my sightings and the tracks that I've found. And that is they have all been within 100 yards from a water source. Like a lake, pond, river, creek, stream, and marshy/meadow area.

But according to my field notes for the best chance for finding tracks or activity in my study area.

Spring- Low to mid elevation marshy/meadow areas that green first.

Summer- Low elevation waterways with ripe berries.

Fall- Mid to high elevation lakes, ponds, meadows with ripe berries.

Winter- Above the snowline water sources. If no snow, I don't know.

Hello CNBigfoot,

NathanFooter spoke of boggy, marshy areas in winter because there is slightly more heat generated in those types of habitat.

Edited by hiflier

SSR Team

What state are you in CM ?

Hello CMBigfoot,

Even though the reports are older I can upload some data for 314 Oregon sightings that extend from the 1870's up to around the year 2000. It would mean infant Sasquatches born in 2000 would be arounf 14 years old now and would probably still have parents around. The general thinking is that they being more territorial would mean that groups in an area would tend to still be somewhat localized. I'm not up on things like recent Oregon fires and/or logging activities which would more than likely uproot cells so this information might not be applicable to the current timeframe.

The data does have locations, witness accounts, creature descriptions, some footprint data and so forth. If your interested let me know and I'll put it together and post it as a .zip Excel file. Personally I think any records of sightings are always good to have around for study.

Edited by hiflier

Hi Hiflier,

Thanks, but no thanks. I already know the old reports for my study area. And I'm more skeptical than ever of any post Finding Bigfoot reports.

As for where the bigfoot might be in the winter with no snow in my study area. Around a water source I'm sure. But at what elevation I don't know for sure.

• 5 months later...

DerekI, want to wish you sucess in your project.

I have been using the same metodology for two and a half years now. It is very tedious and time consuming. I have sucessfully mapped out a travel route from southern Ohio to Lake Erie. I can just about expect to have activity anytime I'm working along the route. I call it a travel route rather than a migration route because migration is not the correct word for what Bigfoots do. My main objective on any of my outings is data collection. My primary method of travel is kayak. You can get to places that people just never go to. To know where Bigfoots have been is important but my objective is to know where they are going to be. Again I wish you sucess.