Tree Manipulation/ Wood Structures: What Is The Evidence?

WSA

It is somewhat hard to get a comprehensive understanding from just the photos, but if I get your drift, your working hypothesis is this represents evidence of a rather sophisticated funneling/ambush hunting technique or possibly a cooperative effort? Do tell.  Can't wait to see what else you've discerned.

And no, I can't fault you for not wanting to disturb it and leave it how it lay.  

That did occure to me rather recently. It may not have been the result of one individual but a group effort. This method of hunting could also feed a group.

It's primative, but at the same time genius.

It could be that it was accidental that it's obscured in the shadows during the height of the day. Makes me wonder though.

Oh, Take a look at it now, I could easily compare the wear marks for a match, next time we go there, and I wouldn't be disturbing a thing. That is if it's still around. It wouldn't surprise me if it's gone now, but I'll look.

post-1320-0-72157500-1393695768_thumb.jp

post-1320-0-34920700-1393695986_thumb.jp

Edited by WesT

There is one more thing before I move forward. My theory on the arch, in the first pic of my previous post, is it could be a size filter. After thinking about it long and hard, young deer would not only taste better, but they aren't as savvy, easier to subdue, and aplenty. I did get the sense/impression that this whole thing was designed to herd target specific prey to a kill zone.

Edited by WesT

Anyway, we searched the area looking for anything else. Here's a small teepee like structure, I don't put much stock in something this small but here it is.

ImportedPhotos00346-1.jpg

I like this one, but I think it's dues to natural causes. Looks interesting though.

ImportedPhotos00305.jpg

I have a bunch of other pics stranded on my old computer. When it started acting up I uploaded as many pics as I could to photobucket before it bit the dust. The hard drive is still good though so I'm planning on having a friend of mine pull the rest of the pics off of it.

I saw this and found it curious looking. Probably done when a tractor cut a road from the cornfield down to the river.

ImportedPhotos00310.jpg

When I walked up to it and looked on the ground I saw this impression.

ImportedPhotos00311.jpg

I'm pretty sure I have more pics of this impression on the old computer. By this time though I began experiencing some denial issues. I read recently that during times of dry weather impressions, of where something heavy once stood, become more pronounced. It was in Great Britain last year, Stonehenge to be exact. What does that mean? The next time we have very dry weather this impression should be there again and I'm climbing a tree to get a better shot of it.

This is a pic of footprint? I don't know footprints. I'm not a hunter and someone could say it's a raccoon and I wouldn't know any better. In the future though, I'm going to use a dollar bill for scale. From what I remember it wasn't very big. Within normal human or bear range.

ImportedPhotos00348.jpg

Hi Cervelo, hunting never was one of my pastimes. But I do love the outdoors! I can still get around very well for someone whose 58. It occured to me that at my age I could drop any minute and didn't want to go without telling about this.

I find this kind of stuff fascinating....whatever it might be. It is always difficult to get the depth of field necessary for a photo to truly capture it. Mostly, I'm takng your word on this stuff. If it was remarkable enough for you to take special note of it, that is good enough for me.

This kind of stuff is out there...we all know it. What is the explanation, hmmm? Tornadoes,  ice storms and Derecho events happen. Is a random natural occurrence sufficient to organize materials in this way? Human agency always has to be discounted, no doubt, but what is the motive to create  something like this? I've been doing land and trail clearing all my adult life, but I would be hard pressed to recognize any evidence of this here.

I could give plausible alternative explanations, but I couldn't substantiate them. Are features like this just ignored by the vast majority of us just because we assume they are naturally occuring?

This stuff really prods my curiosity, and when I see someone like you WesT really trying to connect the dots, I get more curious still.

Where's the evidence? I'm beginning to think it's right under our noses. I have the unique opportunity to monitor these and have been.

Check this out.

July 2012

013.jpg

011.jpg

April 2013

132_zpsf2e0d74f.jpg

140_zps7cc92c74.jpg

February 2014

post-1320-0-64122800-1393907278_thumb.jp

Years from now someone will see this tree and say "look at what an ice storm did to that!"

Guest Cervelo

Hi Cervelo, hunting never was one of my pastimes. But I do love the outdoors! I can still get around very well for someone whose 58. It occured to me that at my age I could drop any minute and didn't want to go without telling about this.

I'm right behind ya at 54 this year....while we might not agree on the tree stuff....keep doing what your doing, it keeps us young!!!

^ My advice... do not attempt to catch up with me. Stay 54 from here on out <g>  My line of reasoning with the tree stuff is, if an unknown creature is out there, as many claim, it would leave an impact on the environment. The trick is identifying what is truely a natural condition vs what is suspect.  I'm hooked now. I'm either so wrong it's pitiful, or I'm onto something. Either way, the main thing is, get out and enjoy all the wonders nature has to offer!

WSA has the pic of the dead yearling now, But before he shows it for all to see, I'd like to explain that when it was found he only took a pic of it to show to his cousin (whom owns the property it was found on) that someone was poaching out of season on his land. It did not start out as an investigation into something unknown. It just ended up that way.

I did receive the photo, and it is very clearly a young deer with a ragged wound behind the left foreleg. I've got it off my phone and onto this computer. Now I've got to figure out how to attach it here in a format BFF likes.

My line of reasoning with the tree stuff is, if an unknown creature is out there, as many claim, it would leave an impact on the environment. The trick is identifying what is truly a natural condition vs what is suspect.  I'm hooked now. I'm either so wrong it's pitiful, or I'm onto something. Either way, the main thing is, get out and enjoy all the wonders nature has to offer!

I agree, WesT. You have some interesting finds, thanks for sharing.

• masterbarber unpinned this topic