Not Enough Wilderness In Midwest To Support Bigfoot?

TedSallis

Enough to know that "ridiculous" can't be used by anyone who hasn't combed the entire state...and that's nobody.

Just how much do you know about animals?

I know plenty about Nebraska, my friend. Animals? Guess I'd state I know a fair amount about them, too. How much have you traveled Nebraska?

(I've lived here going on 60 years. Been around a little bit, too.)

How much time have you spent in backcountry?  Loads of such immersion is critical to estimating what can and can't exist in an area.

MIB's earlier post is right.  All an animal needs is a place to hole up and rest.  Even in very open country - particularly in lots and lots of it - he doesn't need to be hidden by forest all day long.  The space alone will do it for most of the day.

"If there are no lights, an open meadow is as good as a forest, miles of corn field becomes as good as miles of wilderness.   Unless there are nearby roads with headlights of passing cars, they can move around in darkness with us none the wiser.   What is needed, then, is places to hang out with good concealment and not much disturbance during daylight hours, not trackless forest to hunt / forage in all day long."

Yup.  If you haven't gotten far from the roads, well, you haven't seen how many places animals can go and never run into one of us.  Nebraska has loads of such space.

And when you add to that that almost no one will report seeing one, and no one reporting one will be believed...?  Nebraska becomes as good as anyplace.

Edited by DWA

All an animal needs is a place to hole up and rest.  Even in very open country - particularly in lots and lots of it - he doesn't need to be hidden by forest all day long.  The space alone will do it for most of the day.

That's just it. One can't "hole up," especially if they stand 7' tall, out on the open prairie. There's still people out there, and they would witness a seven foot biped, hairy creature.

I'm reading a historical treatise of the 19th century westward migration, the 49'ers and those pilgrims and pioneers that traveled the Platte valley during the mid-19th century. Plenty of reports of species long gone from the plains of Nebraska, such as bison, grizzly, elk (a few have been reintroduced), and wolves. Gosh, not a single mention of bigfoot, nor any close description. Hmm, wonder what's happened there.

Um...nobody believes anyone who saw one?  How 'bout that!  Still happening.

Sure people would see it.  Where do the reports come from?  And it's still 'mythical,' because no one follows up. 

Animals can hole up in places you'd never expect.  Nebraska is full of them.  Just get a far enough distance from the road, and of 100 people seeing you:  90 will think you're a person, with only a few starting to revise that later; five will always wonder, sort of, what that was; the other five will know....two of them will report it and no one will believe them.  That's better than any forest!

You didn't really answer any of my questions.......

I mean, you seem to think it would be great if lots of folks reported giant, bipedal creatures upon the prairie. Yet they don't. Funny that.

Edited by Incorrigible1

I know many would not agree with me and that's okay, it doesn't change some puzzling things I have experienced out there and have absolutely no logical explanation for. Much of it wouldn't be accepted or believed so I don't try to share it.

In my opinion, I believe the Bigfoot-at least some-have amazing abilities to avoid detection regardless of their surroundings. There are documented sightings at Edwards Air Force Base in California and places in Arizona where there are absolutely no forests and little or no water. That doesn't make any sense to me, yet the stories have been around for years.

You didn't really answer any of my questions.......

I mean, you seem to think it would be great if lots of folks reported giant, bipedal creatures upon the prairie. Yet they don't. Funny that.

OK.  I've said it in semaphore, Braille, French and Anthropological Japanese (my specialty).

In English, it's

NO ONE BELIEVES ANYONE WHO SAW ONE, AND MOST PEOPLE KNOW THAT AND DON'T REPORT.

That work?

Well, maybe they don't believe reports from other states, but there simply aren't any from Nebraska. Okay, a couple, recently, that brought my state to the forefront, but even those are suspect in that they came from teenagers, not adults.

Perhaps you and others wish to put much store in these reports, but if you're really aware of things in Nebraska, you'll put great doubt into any report. Sorry, in the words of Bruce Hornsby, That's Just The Way It is.......

The areas along the North and South Platte, and where they join together provide not only ample habitat, but some pretty dang good habitat. And although the Sand hills seem barren, I am sure that wild life abounds. My recent stargazing trip demonstrated that to me. Each and every stop I heard Coyotes, and that was 100s of miles into the Sand hills where I was searching for the darkest sky. I would bet my last buck that if Sasquatch exist anywhere, than they must, from time to time, use these areas. You forget that they are probably lying in that grass sleeping during the daylight, and moving around in the dark, they could be miles from any roads, really does that seem that difficult. The lack of sightings does bring into to question their presence, but who the heck is out there to see them at night, and they really do not have to cross a road very often, maybe never, and when they do it would be easy to wait till no cars were present, given the ability to see for miles. I do not find Nebraska to be unable to suit them, only that they would have developed some different habits to protect them from discovery. That's my take on it, and I know you think I'm nuts, but I heard a wood knock out there in the Sand Hills, and yes there are small stands of trees, and I was no closer than 30 miles to any town, no houses nearby, just a wood knock in the solitude, I swear it!

Edited by Lake County Bigfooot

Then, like many others out there, you've got no grasp on what it takes for them to "exist" in places. *They* are *here*. Maybe not in great numbers, but here none-the-less.

Yes it would surprise me if Indiana actually was at zero.  I had my sighting in southern MI and now live on the north side of west central IN.  Areas near me (within an hour and half) seem much squatchier than the area of my MI sighting.  Jiggy made some great points about those scattered woodlots that are everywhere in this area. They are not regularly visited by people and for much of the year are surrounded by agricultural food.  There are also long stretches of forest along the rivers and streams in Indiana - nothing is dammed here so you can't build or grow right up to water (ie the Wabash near me varies anually from 2 ft to 16-18 ft deep, hitting 25 ft every 10 years or so).

Well, maybe they don't believe reports from other states, but there simply aren't any from Nebraska. Okay, a couple, recently, that brought my state to the forefront, but even those are suspect in that they came from teenagers, not adults.

Perhaps you and others wish to put much store in these reports, but if you're really aware of things in Nebraska, you'll put great doubt into any report. Sorry, in the words of Bruce Hornsby, That's Just The Way It is.......

Well, there's 14 on the BFRO database.  Reading them, I'm not seeing the 'copycat' or 'he's crazy' or 'he's lying' in them, any more than I am from any other states.

Not saying what the pop level is (how could I?).  Just saying that when reports come from a place where habitat seems to be there and population of the human variety seems sparse, I don't discount them.

(I don't discount people for age either.  I'm not too sure most teens would think the right kind of status came from making a bigfoot report.)

I don't discount people for age either.

Nor should you.

I was just as capable of accurately recalling and reporting an experience at 16 as I was at 26.