Not Enough Wilderness In Midwest To Support Bigfoot?

TedSallis

And all *I'm* saying is, that if you believe THOSE THINGS MUST be present for the creature to be present, you're not learning anything about the creatures.

So bigfoot are some kind of ghost ninjas perhaps? They can change the color of their fur to blend into the surroundings? Or maybe they have their own subway system.

Why? Why does what's "intelligent" keep falling into parameters that YOU define narrowly? You leap to an assumption about tools, with no reasoning or need for it to be true.

Well, within the fossile record, all of the intelligent, bipedal primates that we find make their own tools (including Homo Habilis). Chimpanzees, Orangutans, and Gorillas are intelligent enough to make their own tools but they don't because they lack both dexterity and an opposable thumb. This is one of the problems of having to walk on your knuckles. Are you therefore saying that bigfoot are intelligent but lack dexterity or an opposable thumb?

Edited by scientia

I thought I'd enjoy talking to this very intelligent fellow. 

But I got so busy putting words into his mouth, I never heard what he was saying. 

(AKA unteachable)

Scientia, while your reasoning all sounds fairly logical, you fail to account for one simple thing. The fact that this non existent creature leaves foot print track ways that exhibit a specific biology and foot type, that morph naturally as it moves about. Specters and mis-identifications leave no unique prints, if you question the validity of such track ways I suggest you read Meldrums explanation of the foot print evidence in, "Sasquatch, Legend meets Science".  Here is a small taste, but I assure you that the whole book is worth the read.  Most of us here were equally skeptical of this creatures existence at some point...

For hunter or conservationist, tracks left by animals leave clues about their numbers and behaviors. Renowned wildlife tracker Dr. Jim Halfpenny observed that mammals are among the most elusive animals in the world. Much of what is learned about mammals in the wild comes from the stories that can be read from their tracks and other sign. I spent an afternoon with Halfpenny in his Gardiner, Montana, home just north of Yellowstone National Park, discussing the interpretation and nature of sasquatch tracks. We jointly examined a small selection of sasquatch casts that I had brought along to illustrate "the traces of dynamic features I observed— toe movement, midfoot flexibility, pressure ridges, etc". These duplicates were subsequently left with Halfpenny to be added to his remarkably extensive and informative collection of wildlife track casts. He was clearly impressed by the animation evident in the sasquatch track casts, and interested in my inferences about their dynamics.

Meldrum, Jeff (2007-04-01). Sasquatch: Legend Meets Science (Kindle Locations 3769-3776). Tom Doherty Associates. Kindle Edition.

Edited by Lake County Bigfooot

So bigfoot are some kind of ghost ninjas perhaps? They can change the color of their fur to blend into the surroundings? Or maybe they have their own subway system.

Well, within the fossile record, all of the intelligent, bipedal primates that we find make their own tools (including Homo Habilis). Chimpanzees, Orangutans, and Gorillas are intelligent enough to make their own tools but they don't because they lack both dexterity and an opposable thumb. This is one of the problems of having to walk on your knuckles. Are you therefore saying that bigfoot are intelligent but lack dexterity or an opposable thumb?

You seem to have a lot of questions about the subject. I can only suggest you get out "there" in the field, do some reseach based on your own questions, and get back to us with your results.

Instead of coming here to start/win an argument (or thinking you've won one), you might want to read up on the topic and start forming conclusions based on information.

It's not just you, it's most of the skeptics I see here.  It's not an argument; it's a biological puzzle which will not - says here, quote me for truth - be solved until the scientific mainstream gets off its collective duff and devotes full time effort, in the field, where discoveries are made, to come up with answers.

Tree knocking requires the use of a tool.

They are far better at blending into their surroundings than any human.

And they are very intelligent.

I've learned all of that through experience.

How about you?

There's nothing in the woods that isn't far better at blending into its surroundings than any human.

Researchers 'studying' non-habituated gorilla groups estimate numbers by the amount of crashing in the jungle as a big group of very big primates - of which they've been able to make out a swatch of black, or two or three, through the undergrowth - vanishes.  Then it's repeat that five-hour hell-whack back to base camp.

Now you've got one whose survival adaptations - including ambush predation, something gorillas don't do - put a premium on being quiet.  You know, like mountain lions and bobcats.  Nothing mysterious here.

I've seen a deer; then had them materialize one by one, feet from me, animals I would have walked right by, in open woods, not seeing them, otherwise.

The "how can they be such Forest Ninjas?" question bespeaks a pressing need to spend more time outside.

I wanted scientia to elborate on his or her knowledge of bigfoot. Just as I thought it is nothing but assumptions. A person should not assume anything on a subject they know nothing about. Also seeing how scientia gives the impression that they know a lot about animals, that he or she would know how they blend in with their environment.

Aren't there enormous assumptions being made throughout this thread, in which folks imagine bigfoot could live on the treeless prairie of Nebraska?

I suspect our understanding of BF is at the same stage as the blind men examining the elephant. We don't know what we don't know.

• Upvote 3

Hello scientia,

Yes, it's quite a burden. I have to disprove the existence of bigfoot, flying pink ponies, carpet gophers, mason ants, tapdancing shrews, hoop snakes, puffer rabbits, racing sloth, hopping snails, pinwheel flowers, parasol pheasants, and many others.

Nah. Only Sasquatch. Why make it more difficult for yourself than it already is. I do see a bit of trolling on your part though. Reasons?

Aren't there enormous assumptions being made throughout this thread, in which folks imagine bigfoot could live on the treeless prairie of Nebraska?

Someone else is making enormous assumptions about the State of Indiana.

And it's not Guy.

Edited by LarryP

I think the better characterization of the question is whether bigfoot do or do not occassionally transit through the treeless prairies and grain fields of Nebraska.  Coyotes clearly do not live in New York City, until of course a stray one is caught in Central Park.  Don't see why its so inconceivable for the occasional stray critter to show up there. 

Allow me to make some enormous assumptions about that bird you saw.

It was a golden eagle.  The most I will give you is an enormously out of place California condor.

One thing I am absolutely confident science has found all of is giant birds.  We're done on those.  Compared to an undiscovered species of giant bird, sasquatch in NE is a slam dunk.

It's true my unverified, unsupported sighting of a cryptid had no more validity than virtually any other sighting mentioned on the entire forum.

Yet I'm not calling you a meany-head skeptic, nor do I take offense at your comment. Psst, habituators: see how that's done?