What Happened To The Farenbach Hair Collection?

I saw a comment from Meldrum online perhaps over a year ago.

He said he was going to collaborate with Henner again, to bring this hair data back into focus, and up to speed with technology....  

Meldrum also, about that time, posted a comment that he would be vetting any sample anyone had for the O-L  project...but it was a little late in the game then..and I don't know how that panned out.

I do know Bigfootology was the go between for some.

Anyway, for those who don't recall, Farenbach's work, some years back had become the Gold Standard for identifying BF hair by microscope......the issue of medula, etc....page 122 of Meldrum's book identifies him as the expert and curator of the collection....

And his standard for BF hair a big topic around the MK justification...(I think he is in his 80's now.. a PhD Marine Biologist.. there are Bios probably on everyone's website..or here)

Did none of Farenbach's hair collection make it into the O-L study, with free testing?

Does anyone know the status of his hair collection?  

I really think they should have discussed a little bit about hair morphology, that was not addressed, as well as how he arrived at his conclusions, he seemed to intimate that human results mean contamination, so clean the sample more.

I do not know but I would like some more information about the samples, and how they got to the lab if they were obvious known creatures.

Apehuman, could you possibly PM a link to the whole show, I only saw the part Kezra posted, would be much appreciative.

If the hair sample has human DNA inside it, you can't wash it away, it is part of the organism. Sykes promises he can wash it away, but then says it is dammed hard to get rid of, LOL so I'll be as interested as anyone as to what is found in the remaining samples.

I think Sykes is saving any morphology discussion for his paper, though if he has samples conforming to human morphology, he won't have to explain much there with human DNA as a result. The morphology would be a convenient explanation for the DNA.

And. Dr. Meldrum has partially responded here!  But, I received some sad, as yet unconfirmed, news about Henner.

I am aware of some processes that might degrade the DNA, although I do not know, or does Dr. Meldrum respond if these hairs were subjected to such.

I don't know how to tag and so on in FB yet, so here is link to his page, and if you scroll down to original post, it shows up..

https://www.facebook.com/don.j.meldrum?fref=ts

Edited by apehuman

It might be that subjecting them to intense light or extended periods of ultraviolet light might degrade the DNA. Or, perhaps some mounting compounds or imersion fluids could destroy it too. I know sometimes when hairs are very dark in pigmentation, a method of bleaching may be used to lighten them up to see the internal structure. I'm sure bleach would kill the DNA. 

I have an email from Henner somewhere, I will track it down. He explained to me the reason the the hairs couldn't be used again, I asked him about returning some of my sample after he had examined them but he did say they could not be re tested. I will get back to you with it.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest spurfoot

I don't know the details of the Fahrenbach collection, but, it seems likely that some collections might have comprised more than one hair and that not all hairs were subjected to the destructive process.   Also, it is possible that he did not use the entire hair for the process.   It therefore seems an open question whether he has unmodified hair available for Sykes style testing.

I got a partial answer from Meldrum...he said, "Henner has all the hair, I sent hair I received over the years to him and he says they are unusable."

No one has said what process to mount the hair on glass slides to view under a microscope destroyed them...some things can, but none had to be used...  anyway, the word is he is in advanced stages of Alzheimer's..and the dispensation of the collection...unknown..Meldrum did not respond, except for that one statement.

None of the hairs made it to Sykes, although one did to Mk..so I hear from others.  Meldrum sent one hair to Sykes he received from another, during the call for samples.

Also, as far as I can tell no group/person is taking on any prescreen of this....digital microscopes are fairly cheap really..for a kickstart/group..but in the interim this group seems like they know how to analyze hair (and collect)....http://www.cascadesconnectivity.org/research/methods/hair-collection/.

nothing exciting about hair analysis, not like chasing a BF in the woods at night to collect a type speciman..but to me...this 'science," we need to do ourselves... and....I wish I was not broke (well, broke for  BF $$) and I would buy...and get trained...  

but I can support thru a small donation those who do collect samples...and think it's worth sending to Sykes and risking $1500.....refunded if a "BF sample."  Humm,  pre screen seems a needed function and something we can do..it's mechanical/identify.... and with source guides. etc.....  anyone know anyone trying to take this one..or a lab that does this for us...cheap?

Edited by apehuman

Apehuman, this link on ebay is about the equivelant to the scope I use, and they make a great item for christmas, especially when people can just send you ebay gift cards. They are easy to redeem during the purchase process.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/40-2000x-Veterinay-Compound-Microscope-Stage-Camera-/190453420501?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c57e891d5

I just emailed Henner, this is his answer

"Any hair I get has to be embedded in a liquid resign that hardens rapidly on the slide and under a cover slip. The piece thus embedded are generally very short and would not serve much else other than microscopic examination"