Sasquatch Soup - What Does It Take To Bring Hairy In?

Hammer102492

I read your message on my phone a few days ago because I get copies of postings, which are fun to ready before I can respond.

So I thought about what you said and thought about how that made sense.   It's like having a cat that will only come around when you are settled to them.

When things are quiet and peaceful, everything else around you, has room to play.  

One of my favorite sayings came from a poster I have, "You  have to have room to let the Angels play."

Here's where I may differ from your opinion slightly.  I think new activity spurred a sighting.  It was the first time we had a krewe at the new campsite.  Big Hairy showed up and was seen to a friend of ours. 

It's a lesson in listening to the quiet people in your group.   We / I didn't listen to her and four other people could have seen BF right next to where we were camped.

It was new activity for that site on our property. 

Hairy showed up in the field when we were looking at the Milky Way stars.  She was looking at the Big Dipper in the opposite direction, thinking that we played a trick on the new girl. 

So, in this case, new activity got it curious or wishing that we wouldn't block it's deer path.   It got busted in the field by Jen and stood silently in the fog and 4 foot weeds. 

Well, all I can say to that is that prior activity gave it the "all clear":  this doesn't seem too out of the way, they're not bustin' down trees or firing guns, so let's see here.

Not reading animals' minds here.  And they are, for sure, individuals, so somebody coming out the back steps might be WHOA for one, and a whole bunch at a spot that hasn't looked hostile before might be to another, let's see what this is.

Regarding the shooting thing... My question is, why shoot it to prove that it exists?  We know it does.  If there are so few of them, why shoot one?  Just so we can prove that it exists?  What would happen then?  If the first person that shoots it becomes a millionaire, then it will be like the gold rush on Bigfoot.  What will happen to the species then?  It's like one of my favorite thoughts from George Harrison, (see Youtube, VH1 George Harrison's last interview), paraphrasing:  Nature is perfect.  We are made of that very essence.  It's only what man does to it...     I'm not a tree hugger but I appreciate the beautiful wilderness around me.  I don't believe in global warming or climate change in that we had anything to do with it more than a volcano could do, but I do think that the Chinese people hate the smog and who can live in that?  Bottom line for me is, the day that some idiot shoots a BF, it will be the end of innocence, and that could be the end of them.  Either that and someone gets one and that will shut down the logging industry like the spotted owl.  Just let it be.  Maybe one dead would help preserve the species, but I think one dead would start the hunt for them all.  

P.S.  Regarding my earlier comment about BF stalking practices, I neglected to mention that I called it 17 hours earlier than when I felt it started stalking me.  Nathan, remember when you were online with me, encouraging me to do it when I was scared?  It was fun, until I felt like it was stalking me for a week after that.  It may or not be my own mind going there, but as my room-mate in college used to say, You know when you know. 

Here's my timeline of what I think was going on here since May.  This is just what I think at this moment from months of thinking and learning and experiencing BF.

• Mid May 2013 - saw it jump across the road in front of me
  • Memorial Day weekend - it answered two of my brother in law's calls so loud that it shook me to my core
  • June - BFRO investigators come to Loudonville for a local talk and they stopped here to document my sighting.  They tell me that there are other active investigations going in my area.  They called it a "flap."  
  • July 3 - at a local party, I talked to two different neighboring large property owners who thought I was crazy at first, but came up with their own vocalization experiences that occurred around the same time, with multiple people hearing it.  It got them thinking for sure.  
  • June / July - I was outside many night late, sometimes until sunrise.  I thought it was cool and scary at the same time.  No BF activity.  I thought it may just be passing through.  I got over the scared part after about a month and a half.  I thought that it was one of those rare things.  After that, I was kind of hoping that something would happen, but was happy to let the crazy feeling I had go.
  • Mid August - We broke in a new campsite that we had been mowing all summer because we had two weekends of canoe / camp parties planned.  When we sat out there for a few hours one night before they all came, I had a big bad feeling that I was being watched.  I just wrote it off to finding a better placement for my camp chair so I was looking at both entrances to the campsite.  We also set it up so that it would be a good path for deer and for us moving through the place.  My husband went to bed and I just enjoyed sitting out there on the "back forty" so to speak.  It's about a 2-3 minute walk back to the house along a tree line through a field that we sometimes brush hog.  The dew rolls in, collecting in the valley.  You can see it exactly from my avitar picture.  It's really beautiful.  After two different nights of just enjoying the new campsite, one night with a fire with my husband, and the other with just a table, a candle and some music by myself, I felt peaceful and connected.
  • Weekend before Labor Day - our 20+ year annual canoe trip party came to our place for free instead of camping right on the Mohican River.  It was a blast, as usual.  Very dear friends and mostly family cooked and camped, played music and had fun.  Saturday night after we canoed all day and finished dinner, we decided to step away from the tree cover and go into the field to see the stars and the Milky Way before the moon came up.  That's when a new girl that was friends with my sister-in-law, was standing with us and saw it very close to us.  I don't want to blow her story because it will be on BFRO soon I am told.  I didn't find that out until the next week when I saw that my report had been published.  She heard my inlaws talking about it and they called me to say that Jen thought that we were playing a trick on her.  When she read my report, she said, "You guys are serious about this BF thing?"  And then she told us what she saw.  I was like, "WHAT?!"  I said, hand the phone over, and we talked about it.  I'm like, "AND WE ALL COULD HAVE SEEN IT?!"  She said that she tried to get our attention, but we weren't paying attention.  I actually remembered later that she might have said to me, "What is that?"  Oh if I only would have been paying more attention.  It's hard to get a word in edgewise with my inlaws.  We all get together and 20+ years later, I am still trying to learn how not to interrupt people.  Hey, with me being 4th born out of 5, you learn to get your words in quickly, and make a big point about it if its important, otherwise you don't get heard.  Throw that into the mix with same type of family that I married into and when we all get together, its loud, fun and fast paced.  You could have your head in 3 different conversations and still wish you heard more.  So there's Jen, seeing Sasquatch standing very close to us, frozen in the 4 foot high ironweed surrounded by valley fog, watching us, and she's the only one that saw it.  She was looking was looking at the big dipper behind us and we were looking up in the opposite direction at the Milky Way.  Whatever, we all missed it except for Jen.  Maybe it was just hers alone to see that night.  Maybe that's how stealth these things are.  I thought that it left months ago and was gone.  She booked back to the campsite and I decided to follow.  We both plunked down in our camp chairs and she said that she didn't want to go into the tent without my sister in law.  I just wrote it off as new city girl is uneasy in the wilderness.  Then a pack of coyotes started to howl which I thought was cool, but seemed that she thought was un-nerving.  I found out later that she thought that we were playing a joke on the new girl with a planned activity to the field so we could set up a BF or whatever and play a trick on her.  When I talked to her on the phone later that week and heard her describe what happened, I could tell from her voice and what she said that she was pretty shaken up by it.  I immediately recognized the feeling she was describing.  She's a nice girl and I believe her. She drew a picture right then and sent it to me.  It was CLOSE!  My avitar shows a picture of where we were standing.  I think they will include her picture with the report.  We all So that got me thinking like crazy again about how BF was in my back yard now!
  • I stayed on the porch for another month and a half, and fortunately found the BF Forums to help work all this out in my head.  Then I started putting some of the ingredients together for "Sasquatch Soup."  
  • I cold look up the exact date, but one warm summer night, I connected with one of the posters on this thread,  :keeporder: and with much online hand holding for courage, I did three whoops with no immediate reaction.  Then 17 hours later, something howled right outside of the window where I hang out on the couch and watch TV, (being unemployed et al).  The cat when running.  It happened again the next night if I am remembering it correctly.  Then we left town for a few days and I was glad to be back in Cleveland.  No Squatches there and I could get my mind off of it.  When I came back home, I didn't do any porch setting and went into the house with a "ha ha you can't get me bratty type of attitude."  15 minutes after I went to bed and was reading, a rock hit near the window next to my head.  That's when I thought that I was being stalked.  I was driving my husband a little nuts trying to figure this all out.  He said very kindly, that yes, I was sounding a bit crazy, and no, he didn't think that I was being stalked.  So I took him at his word and pushed it out of my head.  I went out to hang on the porch to chill and then I looked at his new smoke house blazing away with bacon, and thought about everything he has been cooking outside this summer, (pulled pork, kilbasi, bacon).  So I immediately went inside and laughed out loud, and told him that it was all his fault because Squatch was around for his BBQ!  
  • Early / Mid November sometime - I had to get a handle on my emotions and put this whole situation into some sort of manageable space, so I took the advise of some of you very wise posters and talked to it.  Some of the talk was out loud and some was in my mind.  I said "Peace" was the word for our place here, with both humans and BF living here.  It worked great.  I felt almost as free as I did before it showed up in May.  I still felt sort of creepy like I could have been watched, but it was a great night.  I just decided that if Peace was the word, (like Grease is the word song ha ha), that it was all good.  I had a nice big bonfire, played great music and danced and sang around the fire like old times.  I also prayed for guardian angels and all things above peaceful and good.  Then the Godspell disc started on the outdoor speakers, next in line to play, and it felt peaceful.  I was grateful and connected to it all.  It was a good last warm night of the summer of Sasquatch.  Time to go in now, Ohio cold was coming on fast.  
  • A week or so ago - I was happy to have one warm bonus night for the season.  My husband was happy to tell me, "I told you that you would get one more night outside."  I enjoyed it, and actually didn't feel one ounce of creepiness.  Every now and then I would second guess myself, but it was a good feeling.  I think that they or it, has moved on.  Again, it could be that I came to peace with it, or that it cooled out, or it moved on, or just that it took 6 months for everything to balance out.  

Sorry for the long post.  I just stopped for a minute after the Thanksgiving preparations were done for the evening.  I hope you all have a great Thanksgiving!  

I am thankful for you all! 

Peace out,

Hammer

Well, all I can say to that is that prior activity gave it the "all clear":  this doesn't seem too out of the way, they're not bustin' down trees or firing guns, so let's see here.

Not reading animals' minds here.  And they are, for sure, individuals, so somebody coming out the back steps might be WHOA for one, and a whole bunch at a spot that hasn't looked hostile before might be to another, let's see what this is.

I think you got that one right 100% DWA.  That makes a lot of sense.  Nearly the same krewe was there in June for a family party when the researchers were there.  BF could be used to us.  Heck, he was probably checking us out before like you said.  We had a bonfire in the usual spot in our backyard, but again, it was the same kind of fun summer party.  And, it could have been watching me at night hanging out by the fire, and my husband building the smoker as well as working in his garden.  It may or not have seen me on the mower, or on occasion us on the tractor bush hoggin.  It could have watched us all summer because that's what we do here.  Outside is the place to be as much as possible.  Yeah, we're pretty mellow people, and the people that come here are fun and very cool.  

Good thoughts!  Thanks!  Makes perfect sense to me.  Experiences definitely increased as the spring, summer and fall progressed.  

You people are smart.  Thanks again!

Hammer

I think you got that one right 100% DWA.  That makes a lot of sense.  Nearly the same krewe was there in June for a family party when the researchers were there.  BF could be used to us.  Heck, he was probably checking us out before like you said.  We had a bonfire in the usual spot in our backyard, but again, it was the same kind of fun summer party.  And, it could have been watching me at night hanging out by the fire, and my husband building the smoker as well as working in his garden.  It may or not have seen me on the mower, or on occasion us on the tractor bush hoggin.  It could have watched us all summer because that's what we do here.  Outside is the place to be as much as possible.  Yeah, we're pretty mellow people, and the people that come here are fun and very cool.  

Good thoughts!  Thanks!  Makes perfect sense to me.  Experiences definitely increased as the spring, summer and fall progressed.  

You people are smart.  Thanks again!

Hammer

The general stance that wild animals don't react to the vibes they get from humans definitely dies hard, is contradicted by my experience, and definitely gets called into question by numerous sasquatch encounters.

A number of sightings either suggest or outright describe approaches to human groups.  Not like this is unknown with the apes we know about.  Jane Goodall made her chimpanzee contacts through stationary presence and trust, and that's become standard issue in the field.  Children and women seem to be favored, but the group's approach to its surroundings can be another mitigating factor.

Hope you bring us a lot more.  Happy Thanksgiving.

Hammer;

You seem to have a low opinion of the US fish and game and things like the endangered species act that is designed to protect and conserve rare species....... The problem is of course you have to be a classified species to make the list.

Hammer;

You seem to have a low opinion of the US fish and game and things like the endangered species act that is designed to protect and conserve rare species....... The problem is of course you have to be a classified species to make the list.

Oops!  Sorry to give that impression.  My bad.  Glad you asked for clarification because I wouldn't want you to think poorly of me.  I absolutely love all efforts to protect our environment.  I was just referring to something I read about people that worked for the logging companies weren't allowed to make BF reports for fear that an endangered species would be discovered and that would be the end of logging.  You know, it's a follow the money thing.  I respect the logging industry though, if it's done properly and they replace the renewable resources.  Those that just tear up the earth with no regard, are big sinners in my book.  I'm glad we have the spotted owl.  It's a reminder to us all to be care takers of our environment.  Otherwise, the whales leave us for good, along with the bald eagles, Bengal tigers, coral reefs, bigfoots and anything else you can think of.  We live in a scary world right now and don't even want to think about how we humans can mess it up in a hurry. 

So no, I'm totally for species preservation.  If somebody loses money over, so what.  That's not important.  Preserving what we have is most important.  Although I have to say that I do not believe in global warming or climate change.  The science is still out on that.  But just ask some people in China where the smog is so thick that they are getting sick from it, and see what they have to say about it.  Yeah, they're happy to have a job, but their environment and general health is at risk.  We are so lucky to be in this country where BF can roam peacefully.   We have to protect it.  Thank you to all you veterans and active military that keep us all free and happy.  That's what I am thankful for on this Thanksgiving Day!  :)

So..........your in favor of shooting one then? A Squatch?

You bring up the spotted owl, if the spotted owl was an unknown species, logging companies would be free to clear cut their habitat without repercussions. It's the endangered species act that protects them from corporations.........

I feel that I need to point this out again and again because I feel people make knee jerk decisions without thinking things through.

The only way we are going to get protection for any unknown species is with a type specimen. Especially one that is a North American primate.

Edited by norseman

You are right.  I'm sure it was a knee jerk reaction and I know nothing about the spotted owl.  Seriously.  :)  Thank you for pointing that out.  I should think things through, but hey, it pops in my mind and I say it sometimes.  It may have been an ill fated example to make a point.

The bottom line is that I do not want anyone to kill a bigfoot.  It will change everything and I believe that it will lead to their immediate extinction.  It will be like a gold rush until some government entity takes 50 years to pass before they are protected.  By then it will be too late.  Someone will have a hide in hand and they will make a million dollars on it one way or another.  Then everyone will go try and get themselves one too.  Not good. At all.

I'm happy to let people think I'm crazy for believing in bigfoot.

Let it be.

Edited by Hammer102492

Thousands of people have seen it.

There are two or three really special videos of it.

How many times have we heard it?

How many footprint casts need to be taken?

How many rocks need to be thrown? 

Do we really need a carcass to believe? 

They don't want to be seen by people that have an intent to kill them.  They'll smell it in the air and you'll never see them.

In my opinion, they operate on a whole different level. 

You are right. I'm sure it was a knee jerk reaction and I know nothing about the spotted owl. Seriously. :) Thank you for pointing that out. I should think things through, but hey, it pops in my mind and I say it sometimes. It may have been an ill fated example to make a point.

The bottom line is that I do not want anyone to kill a bigfoot. It will change everything and I believe that it will lead to their immediate extinction. It will be like a gold rush until some government entity takes 50 years to pass before they are protected. By then it will be too late. Someone will have a hide in hand and they will make a million dollars on it one way or another. Then everyone will go try and get themselves one too. Not good. At all.

I'm happy to let people think I'm crazy for believing in bigfoot.

Let it be.

Well lets put this into perspective shall we?

Your fear upon discovery is that a million rednecks are going to descend into the forest with rifles and eradicate them........

This has already happened, this is when buffalo were shot for their tongues. And the Beaver were wiped out. Sasquatch remains today in spite of that slaughter........

Today the threat isn't hunters and mountain men.........it's urban sprawl. Chainsaws, bulldozers and paving machines. Sasquatch doesn't eat concrete, nor can he use the drive up window.

For me this is the biggest threat, and why I do not feel it is good for them to remain undiscovered.

Show me one animal on the endangered species list that has suffered for being on the list.

Thousands of people have seen it.

There are two or three really special videos of it.

How many times have we heard it?

How many footprint casts need to be taken?

How many rocks need to be thrown?

Do we really need a carcass to believe?

They don't want to be seen by people that have an intent to kill them. They'll smell it in the air and you'll never see them.

In my opinion, they operate on a whole different level.

We need a carcass to prove that everything on

Your list above that isn't bogus.......

Science has spoken it needs a type specimen for the creature to be validated as real.

Also Roe and Gimlin had complete surprise over a Sasquatch with a rifle pointed at them and the squatch had no clue....... And even recently the Justin Smeja story, if taken at face value shows us that while rare, shy and elusive, a squatch is not infallible.

^^ BY a whole different level, do you mean they are possibly above us for intelligence?

Well wait now.  Just reading some of the stuff you read here:  would that be that hard?

^^^^^^^

I think so, otherwise we wouldn't be the hyper dominate species on the planet, they would be.

With that said a Cougar is a woods ninja and cannot perform simple algebra.

We need to be careful about our definitions.

^^^More or less my point.

Anyone would could possibly spend a month in the bush with a chimpanzee troop would probably come out of there screaming for a redefinition of "intelligence."

I'm not totally sure that carpeting the planet with advanced technology is all that much smarter than what deer do when they overgraze a range.