How Would You Look For Sasquatch?

hiflier

Hello All,

Let me start this off by saying that for the first time I'm going to be going out and seriously look for Sasquatch. I have a place in mind that has been active in the past but only very sporadically. And therein lies the problem. I've paid close attention in my short in my meager 7 months on this Forum to everything pertaining to what folks do. Much in the way of advice has been spread around and it all seems good but I haven't really noticed a real planned-out approach for the follow through.

Like I said the area I'm looking at seems to be the likliest place for an encounter although it's been a long stretch of time since anything has come out of the location which is in Maine up near the Canadian border. I'll be going with my two thirty-something Sons who have been good enough to humor their dear old dottering Dad by saying they will go along for the hiking adventure and to see the process.  

What process? is what I'm thinking now. If you were in my shoes what would be going through your mind? We here on the Forum have read all kinds of methods, some good some not, some cheap others quite expensive. None of us are hunters. Both Sons are physically active with surfing and ice climbing as pursuits along with other activities like kayaking and so forth.

So if you've never "gone Squatchin' " how would YOU begin? I've been getting ideas together but I was curious what you would do if all of a sudden, after doing nothing regarding the subject except perhaps camping or hiking, You suddenly got the bug to try a serious investigation. How would you begin it?

If you've never done it and this thread gets your thinking to then maybe it could be a good place to talk over some things to get going and then update each other for encouragement and maybe include some anecdotes on our efforts. Unless you're not tired of waiting around for an answer to the mystery to come from someone else yet.

If you read that last line as a challenge then you would be correct. C'mon, it could be a rewardng endeavor on many levels. Especially if we can exchange information on our adventures. Small excursions, road trips, short hikes, going somewhere new and talking toi the gas station folks, etc. I know for me, now that I've made the decision to go, it's become some to look forward to doing in any capacity.

It has to be reasonably cheap though which also means low tech. After all, I'll be footing the bill for me AND my Sons........ and they eat like HORSES! LOL.

• Upvote 1

I would take along another Squatch. That way the chances really go up.

Seriously, are you the Irish guy who is looking for the best place? I've already told you to talk to Brenda Harris.

Even FB went back to NewMexico to get a shot. Notice THIS year they are pulling out all the stops and going to all the GOOD areas with at least good thermal prospects.

http://www.krqe.com/news/local/finding-bigfoot-comes-back-to-nm

You can eat pretty cheap in the US, just remember we are the king of GMO foods, just make bean and rice with veggi burritoes. Cheap, good, healthy.

Edited by Wag

Hello Wag,

One of my Sons is 6'8'' tall with a beard. Last weekend he did the perfect Squatch pose. Does that count?

No, you need a real squatch who knows squatches. I told the Irish guy to go to New Mexico, where are you planning to go? Do you have a therm? If not, you need some chicks on 'that time of the month'. Or you could, well, no, I'll tell you that in the TarPit...Whew, almost did it again.

Part of the 'How' is where you go. Thats the big cahoona, and Brenda seemed open to having people out there, but not sure how much 'Squatch tourism' she wants to get into. Wonder if that Irish will figure it out?

Edited by Wag

Hello Wag,

Yeah ya did LOL. No therm. I know where I can borrow one but for now the plan will be strictly old school. Here's the point of this: Work up a way that anyone could enter an investigation if they wish given the right amount of info for getting things off the ground. Make it easy to take it easy. This really is a "from-the-ground-up" endeavor. Not many can get their hands on a thermal or even night vision gear. Cameras yes, casting materials perhaps, reports, database searches of the areas. You know, simple stuff. This is about too, getting things together and ready and honing one's skills in a simplified manner. AND having some support from here that includes a place to report any items like intentions and/or progress. Open encouragement is the key. Open science is the principle behind it too.

Edited by hiflier

What process? is what I'm thinking now. If you were in my shoes what would be going through your mind? 

1. You need a hypothetical habitat and behavioral profile to test as a hypothesis.

2. You need a few methods of detecting their presence.

4. Decide what your high confidence indicators are.

Hello southernyahoo,

A bit heady for starting out at the bottom. I mean in principle sure I see what you are saying but each one of those items have several stepping stone to them. Getting to just one of your points (ALL of which by the way have great merit backed by good intention) requires a sort of breakdown into points to cover. I'm not trying to be difficult at all but for a newbie who may not understand your listed items could you clarify a bit?

Where I'm starting would be something like purchase a good compass and a first-aid kit. That sort of thing. I'm an experienced camper/hiker. Not everyone is so I was intending to keep it simple at the risk of boring the experts. Searching for a Sasquatch will be quite a venture for someone not in the pace of being an avid outdoorsman but may still want to go and investigate an area close by. This is hopefully going to start out very simple and build from there.

Edited by hiflier

Hi, hiflier. 

This is exciting! So glad you're planning this! And the area looks perfect. 

A lot of people have used Robert W. Morgan's book, Bigfoot Observer's Field Manual, as a way to start thinking about their researching/looking/hanging out. 

But as Sunflower has said a few times on some recent threads (and as many others have said, too), really, all you have to do is what you're doing: Go to the woods.

It's good to bring some food with you, like apples or berries or something, that you can leave for them. 

And don't be afraid to talk to them directly. I would say who I was and what I intended to do (just visit and say hello), and whatever else you feel like saying. 

If you speak out loud to the woods, the sentries watching you will know that you know they're there, and that will pique their curiosity. 

While you're hiking, keep an eye out for trees that are bent over to form arches (sometimes with their tops pinned to the ground by other logs), and that will let you know you're in an area they frequent, and you can start talking.   :)

You might see odd piles of brush, too, that appear to have taken hands to put together. 

All of that will say it's a good place to begin talking. And to leave the food. (Tell them, out loud, that the food is for them.)

You could also sit with your companions somewhere to have lunch and talk, and -- if anyone in your family is musical -- sing. 

All these things draw attention, and (usually) attention of the right kind: simple curiosity. 

If someone appears bothered by your presence -- if you see trees shaking or hear loud vocals -- that's probably an indication that nobody is in the mood to entertain visitors that day, and it's probably wise to turn around at that point and leave. 

There's really nothing much to this! All you really need is a respect for living things and a curious, open heart, all of which you have. 

Just saw that you're an experienced hiker and camper. You've got it all, then. You'll have a blast! Can't wait to hear about your experiences!

P.S. Plan to revisit the area as much as you can. It may take a while for them to decide you're someone they trust enough to interact with. But they will. It just takes patience, sometimes.  :)

Edited by LeafTalker

http://forums.projectgrendel.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=38

Read from the disclaimer down.

Know the law, possess knowledge, be geared up and give someone your location and eta back.

:)

Enjoy!

-specifically to Bigfoot tactics, operation logging road is in full swing, and the mos is running logging roads with my tracked ranger looking to cut tracks. I also hike hard access trails with snow shoes looking for tracks as well.

Edited by norseman

Hello norseman,

Thank you for the link. I'm aware of it as you know but others may not be. There will be members who camp but do not hunt like myself and there's no shame in that as I've seen you say also. Nonetheless being prepared in other ways mentioned on your site is valuable information and someone of any level can benefit from it.

Edited by hiflier

Hiflier, before you take one step into the woods, get yourself a copy of  "Bigfoot Observers Field Manual" written by Robert W. Morgan. Read it cover to cover and then read it again. after that, read it another few times. Follow his plan and take the steps as he has laid out. Then and only then, find your spot and put boots on the ground. DON"T TELL ANYONE on this forum ANYTHING about what or where your spot is. Trust me on this one. My very first night out, I got a solid tree knock about 50 yards away the second I dropped my pack. In the middle of nowhere. I also had fresh sapplings snapped off and laid across the trail. I can't express enough emphasis on following to the letter, this small book and complete secrecy. They're out there.....its just a question of whether you want to put in the work and time.

Hello LeafTalker,

I understand where you're coming from and read your intentions clearly which are in a good light to be sure. Sad to say though I will NOT bring or leave food for them should they exist and be in that locale. Bigelow Preserve hosts a healthy population of black bears which because of the ecent years of mild, short winters have been on the increase. do a search on Google Earth for "bigelow Preserve, Maine and scope out the terrain. Notice where the Appalacian Trail goes and you will realize the nature of the topography. perfect for Sasqutch AND bears.

There afre shelters scattered about and several major trail off shoots to explore. There re also some access roads and several snow sled trails as well. My plan is to start out slow. An overnight trip with no camping at all; just scouting around. You may notice Flagstaff Lake to the north on GE. I'm planning on looking for signs that cross some roads from the wilderness to the lake's shore and explore some of the shorefront itself. There are also several good sized creeks that drain the forest into the lake and so some excursions up into the mouths of those looking for prints will be part of it.

My Sons and I are not NAWAC here LOL! We want to get a feel for things first without the time to set up and break down a camp site. We want to go into Eustis and other places and get a coffee at a local hangout and see if we can get some dialogue going. So the first trip which is about a three hour drive one way will be like a fact-finding mission with some looking around for likely points of interest.

The next post will discuss some things to do before we go and what to take. Again, keeping it simple. This time frame currently sees a PILE of snow over that way so I'm thinking that we should do it with those conditions but plan for5 early spring before the bears come out of hibernation. Less likely to confuse any prints that way and even though Sasquatch seem to be in a quiet time themselves acording to report statistics overall at least the temperatures won't be so brutal.

Sorry for the ramble.

Hello kearnsey64,

Hey, thanks. I'll get the book. See? this thread is working. And don't worry about what I might find or where I might go. It's something I don't even really know yet except generally. The point of all this is to lay out a plan so others might see that it's not that hard to do. My decision stems from the fact that I'm not getting any younger and think I need to do this for myself now. I can of course wait around the Forum for someone else to be forthcoming but For some reason I don't wish to wait for that anymore. 

I appreciate your concerns though, I really do and will take them seriously. Thanks again.

Oh, def, nix the food then!

Also, I didn't realize this area was that far from you. Do you regularly drive those kinds of hours to get out and about and do things? If so, that area will be fine for you. But if you don't want to drive that distance on a regular basis, you might want to begin exploring an area closer to your home, so you can check on your buddies relatively easily. 

I drive about an hour and a half to visit the individuals I'm starting to get to know, so I'm kind of "locked in" to that drive now.... If I had it to do all over again, I would pick an area that would require less driving time to get to. 

Just a thought. 

Hello LeafTalker,

I don't plan to frequent the area. Yes, it's a drive but for an overnight trip it's not bad. Maine is big and driving is a way of life here. I camp for two weeks every September down east on the coast, about thirty miles from Canada. It takes five hours just to get there. I'm used to it. Maine is a beautiful state no matter where one goes or the time of year..

Edited by hiflier