How Would You Look For Sasquatch?

hiflier

Maine IS big -- and beautiful! And it sounds like your spot will be perfect. 

I also understand what you mean about not wanting to wait around for anyone else to come up with the "proof" anymore... It's a really different thing, to experience this for yourself. Nothing compares to it. Good for you for doing this. You'll have a blast!

Hello LeafTalker,

Thanks, and looking forward to a little quality time between father and sons. Yep, should be a blast.

Hey hiflier good topic..

This is something ive talked about with my dad.. Im 24, hes 49.. Were both into bigfoot. I mentioned maybe going squatchin when the weather warms up. I live in Southeast michigan, monroe to be exact . But there hasnt been alot of sightings. In the 60's there was the Monroe Monster and i also know of a member here who saw one in the 80's. But i was thinking Ohio. theres been reports in ohio near a forest preserve bout an hour drive from me..

I would stay for a few nights for sure.. Im definitely s rookie camper though and uve never been hunting. My father is LEO ( Cop ) though so we would have either his pistol or his AR 15. (are those allowed in ohio to just bring into the woods?) · i wouldnt feel safe without some type of weapon just in case..

Not sure if bringing cameras or recorders would hinder me having an experience or not. I think id just bring a small digital camera and keep it in my pocket. i think if i walk around with a recorder up to my face and going the squatchs wont come near us.. Would definitely bring some kind of fruits or nuts naybe chocolate for the bigfoots.

id try to act interesting to bring them in, like everyone says act unique, dont just act like every other camper.. Maybe play some soft music.. classic rock..maybe a little jazz..

I thought about bringing a small BBq and cooking all day to really let the smell get out there and see if it draws 'em in.

Definitely try to be somewhere by a water source 'they always follow the rivers' (boggy creek)..

Thats about as far as ive thought about it. But i definitely want to go. Hoping my dad doesnt change his mind.. My stepmom his wife is a huge skeptic..so she mught change his mind about it by g ving him a hard time. She laughed when i told her i actually wanted to go out in the field and do some research.

Edited by ItsAsquatch

ItsAsquatch, your plan sounds great, too! 

Some quick thoughts: Camera strategy sounds good. And don't worry about acting interesting. Peacefulness and lack of aggression seem to be plenty interesting. That will make you stick out like a sore thumb. :) 

Thankyou, LT.

Whats your take on woodknocking and whooping (making calls). Im almost afraid to try either because i dont want them to just be like 'oh that was a human, lets get outta here'

Personally, I wouldn't do it. But it works for some.

The most important thing is to be clear with yourself that making contact is your first real objective. Don't let your objective be to "fool" them (because you can't).

If you do try calling or woodknocking (which again, I wouldn't), mix it up with human speech. Say hello, out loud. That will show a knowledge and respect that will be more interesting than a simple woodknock or call all on its own.   :)

Thanks again LT. I think if i do woodknock, i will limit it to once or twice a day. If i call, ill try what you saud and just yell out 'hello!' :)

Guest JiggyPotamus

I followed my own advice from a long time ago, and "snatched up a baby sasquatch" who I found lounging under a tree. Coincidentally, I named him Bobo. You can borrow him, but only if you promise NOT to bring him back. I thought puppies were bad, but man, you should see what it's like attempting to domesticate a small sasquatch. Not a very good joke, I'll admit that. *sighs*

Even before I had an encounter I've thought the best way was to draw them in, as opposed to looking for them. But, it seems that those who do go out looking for them do inadvertently draw them in on occasion. I've detailed my sighting a couple of times on the forums, and I am convinced that the animal was checking us out as we made our way further into the woods. I think he got a look, or figured out whatever he was attempting to figure out, and then decided he wanted to leave, all the while none of us knowing he was anywhere near us. Had I not happened to start walking around immediately, I never would have seen him beating his retreat away from us, on the other side of a clearing, which was on the other side of some trees.

So even though my sighting was not intentional, I still think that he was drawn in. Now here is what I'm thinking...Ideas like Bobo's rave, and other methods, such as cooking food that they can smell, etc., might work. But it is going to be hit or miss, most of the time. I think that the best way to have an encounter is first to know the general area where the animals are. If you know that, half of the battle is won in my opinion. Afterwards, I think the best method to stimulate a sighting or some type of activity would be to infringe upon an area where the sasquatch don't want you. Of course, knowing which areas they will protect is almost impossible, but I still think it is the only surefire way to have something happen.

So maybe it is best to cover as much ground as possible, dallying for while whenever you think you might have gotten any little bit of activity. I say this because if the animals think you are going to just move through the area, they might not interact. But if you happened to stay in their area for a little while, perhaps they will feel compelled to invite you to leave...or to supper. Either way works for our purposes.

I am leaving out all the ideas that I've mentioned in the past, and which others have mentioned as well, because as I said, they are hit or miss. I think the method I just described, although it is not much of a "method," is not only the best way, but the cheapest way as well. This means you won't have to do a bunch of preparing, or lugging equipment, or stuff like that. It will take some luck, and this is why I feel that those who are constantly out there, gauging where the animals could be going, might have more success than someone who just goes out occasionally.

I would look over some topographical maps, for starters, just to get an idea of the lay of the land. I would also note the areas that would seem easiest for you guys to travel, and then just assume the sasquatch will not be using those routes. I say this because if you want to utilize the method I described, you are not going to enter a sasquatch protected area by sticking to main trails and such. The only way to even have a chance of success is to get off the trail, and hope to get lucky. But don't get lost. Seriously, as it is quite easy, even with GPS and whatnot, considering that GPS doesn't do you any good when you KNOW where to go, but cannot get there, lol. And it has happened more than once I'm sure, where person knows where to go, but can't get there for the obstacles and whatnot.

Definitely figure out where the local sightings are, and also where the PEOPLE are going. If there are no sightings, but also no people, then that doesn't mean there are no sasquatch, although I know you know this. I think you are the type of person who could analyze what little data is probably available for the area, and formulate some type of gameplan based on what you know. But all the wisdom in the world can't make a squatch do what you want it to, unfortunately. That is why it takes luck. But hopefully you can see some type of correlation in the data that will at least give you some idea of where to start. That is probably the hardest part.

I would think that someone who went to the same general area over and over again could possibly narrow things down a bit, and then try to infringe upon sasquatch territory. But I think the most important thing to remember, or one of the most important things, is that your chances of seeing something are not as good ON the established trails and well-travelled areas, as they are OFF of them.

Hello ItsAsquatch,

First let me thank the contributors as there are some good ideas there. There is a poster here who has been in the woods camping for forty years with some interesting points of observation. One of those points in a way was what JiggyPotamus mentioned concerning main trails. I differ in that to me it would depend on the amount of traffic in any given season. As I said before the research seems to indicate that Spring is a relatively quiet time for sightings with Summer and Fall maintaing the lion's share of reports.

Early Spring is a quiet time for Humans as well when one thinks about it some. Too cold still perhaps, to muddy, too wet, bare trees, that sort of thing. I don't wonder why sightings are less then. Personally I think it's a great time for getting one's feet wet as a budding researcher. Visibility down trails is good for you AND our Hairy Friend which reduces the chances perhaps of a surprise when you're not ready for it. Not everyone is comfortable out there, gun or not, you know so I think these environments may be less stressful for those new to this sort of adventure.

I've read posts about things like parallel trails that Sasquatch use that run along main and game trails to shadow prey or intruders. I for one think this makes good sense and might be an idea to keep in mind. Also, things like arched young trees beside trails and roads some say indicate accesses to some of those parallel-trail systems.

I discuss some of these things somewhere in this thread:

http://bigfootforums.com/index.php/topic/42982-sasquatch-on-the-roads/

It may give you some things to think about. Next post will be on some important things to take at least for the first couple of outings,

Edited by hiflier

Hello All,

Before I start, one thing that is good to know. It's OK to have a possible Sasquatch encounter as an objective but it is MORE enjoyable to experience the out-of-doors simply for the pleasure of being there. The way to experience that the best is to use it as an exercise in getting out of your own head. This is done the easiest by observing the surroundings one is immersed in in very a detail oriented fashion. Look at EVERYTHING. Not just an object like a tree or a rock but deeper into their make up and design. Birds and their activities. Squirrels, chipmunks, insects, water, and sounds like crickets, flying insects, the wind. Stay in touch MORE with what's around you and it will enhance what is in you.

Take a flashlight (extra batteries) First-aid kit with burn/cut amenities. a radio that can get a weather forcast in case there's no wi-fi. Plenty of snack items with little sugar except for perhaps some chocolate. Put sweets in an airtight container at home and WASH THE CONTAINER thoroughly after filling it. What ever you wish for main courses but keep it simple.

Many places allow early season camping even if closed for the season so be prepared to bring in water.

I save my candle stubs in a baggie and take them camping to use as fire starters. Matches/wand-style lighter and a small self-lighting propane torch for stubborn damp fires. Don't be shy to use it either. Mine lasts way past the duration of a two-week excursion with a one pound canister. When it's been raining nothing works better along with the candle stubs.

A good roomy tent, Aero-type air matress, puffy pad, flannel sheets if chilly and your own pillow from home. I mean why not LOL. Beats a bag every time! I use a portable car jumper that has a cig lighter built in for temporary power if needed. With a cheap 300w inverter one can have emergengy lighting and infate a mattress in no time. Plug in a radio and recharge reading devices if need be.

A lot of this is aimed at a novice who would be camping in a place where their vehicle is easily accessible even deep in a forest campground situation. It is self sufficient and helps make thing easy for safety at night and for getting a good warm night's sleep. Two of the most important commodities like food and water IMO. I used to mountain-man camp, sometimes even in winter in a group, but now? It's just nice getting out there without having to prove anything to myself anymore.

If you're into backpacking instead, then getting out if an encounter ensues in a not-so-good way will, at the very least, be unpleasant; be it a bear, coyotes, or skunk. OH yeah...I almost forgot... for Sasquatch? Bring along an harmonica or a recorder (flute) and you don't even know how to play it. Go enough times and you will...eventually. I have read the creature seems to like them.

Thank you for the tips and pointers hiflier. I will definitely take everhthing you said into consideration before making my trip. I appreciate the input , truly.

Im definitely a novice camper. So a crash course of sorts is what i need.

Also what you said about Springtime makes sense. Maybe i should wait until true summer.

Hello ItsAsquatch,

Hey, Summer's fine. Lots of folks around though. And since FB has taken off in the public arena like it has I doubt if I would trust a returned woodknock or whoop/whistle as much. Everybody's doing it these days. It's why I mentioned a harmonica. Playing a recording of children laughing might be something you're not quite ready to attempt but then who is first time out? LOL

Edited by hiflier

Hello ItsAsquatch,

Let us know any results? That's part of what this thread is for. Updates and summaries. As a first timer one has to wonder if the mind of a Sasquatch is one composed of simple logic but that can also learn from things. What I mean is if a Sasquatch has seen or heard children playing somewhere would it be baffled by hearing the sound again and, after finding the source, be confused by seeing no children. Would it be frustrated or baffled by the con. I myself am not sure if I want to be the one to find out it's reaction.

Edited by hiflier