The Fight Or Flight , Overwhelming Feeling Of Fear..

BFF Patron

Oddly enough two of the most adrenaline producing fear events in my brief squatching infestation sequence were these:

1)  I had my snoring pattern imitated and I was awake to hear it......  I only knew two people in the world to have had that particular pattern

of snore to that point (me and my late father.....doesn't mean others didn't too), it was carefully orchestrated from outside a bedroom window screen

at a very wee hour of the morning

2) When I had my nocturnal sighting and encounter of multiples at close distance (90 ft. from that bedroom screen ^), the size of the individuals was closer to 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 ft average

but all other elements of their gait and posture was consistent with typical encounters.  Had they been 7 footers I think I could have controlled the 

adrenaline a tad better but maybe not since the dayglo green eyeglow trumped size anyway, as well as the terrestrial strategies used to approach me. 

Edited by bipedalist

The snore imitation ties in with my thread about BF appearing to joke or messing with us for what ever reason.  Some think this behavior is for another reason...............maybe no reason other than practicing imitations.

georgerm - to answer your question we live in the middle / eastern part of Ohio.

Knowing that we have BF around here, and we are starting to establish a friendly relationship with them, I still worry about the day when I come face to face with one of them.  Trying to figure out if we put some gifts out there for them, and they come around to say thank you, how I will react if and when I see one face to face.  It will be like...you're welcome - SCREAM and run!  ha ha  I hope not.  That wouldn't be very courteous of me.  They see us but we haven't seen them up close.  How will that go when that day comes?  I hope I keep it together and have a good first contact, (like Star Trek). 

I felt that fear, and it was quite overwhelming. So much, that I could proceed no further down the trail, at night. I was definitely being paced by something (unseen), from a distance (15-20 yds) off trail. I was going for about a 10 minute walk, to place a recorder in a pre determined location.

It could have been my own fear and mind causing the effects, but I can honestly say.. that it never happened before, nor has it happened since that one incident. I come to no conclusion on what actually caused it.. besides, that it did happen.

My mind became cloudy and confused, and my legs became very heavy, and I was drenched in sweat with my heart pounding. I became winded, had dry mouth, and then just had to stop in my tracks.. hunched over, and feeling like I was going to become sick. I ended up abandoning the original purpose for the walk.

The bad feeling cleared up, when I decided to turn around and get back (quickly) to camp. On my way back, there was a tremendous thud / thump.. sounding like a large rock or log was slammed on the ground, to my north. I was almost running , after that.. back to the other two investigators, standing by the fire and awaiting my return. Two others, were already sleeping in tents, and slept through the incident.

True story... and make of it, what you will

Wow, very interesting.  Did you tell the two that were still awake what had happened? If so, did they leave the campsite to investigate the source of the disruption(s)?

I've hiked for many years and most of the time alone.  I was hiking in in the Adirondacks about seven years ago and came upon a small stream along the trail as the terrain briefly leveled out..  As I was about cross the stream, I stopped in my tracks and had the most ominous feeling ever.  I did two very slow three sixties and could not see a thing. All of my senses were on high alert and I noticed there was no sounds whatsoever in the forest. Everything had stopped, everything was quiet. For reasons I'll never know, I slowly turned around and headed back from whence I came. It was intrepidation that guided me as I never felt fear.

What was it?  No idea. Maybe nothing but maybe it was my instincts detecting something my senses couldn't quite define. It never happened before, or after, that incident and I always wonder might have transpired had I kept going.

georgerm - to answer your question we live in the middle / eastern part of Ohio.

Knowing that we have BF around here, and we are starting to establish a friendly relationship with them, I still worry about the day when I come face to face with one of them.  Trying to figure out if we put some gifts out there for them, and they come around to say thank you, how I will react if and when I see one face to face.  It will be like...you're welcome - SCREAM and run!  ha ha  I hope not.  That wouldn't be very courteous of me.  They see us but we haven't seen them up close.  How will that go when that day comes?  I hope I keep it together and have a good first contact, (like Star Trek). 

Many of us have the same fear so mentally preparing is good. Place some food out. Hang apples up high in the trees where they roam. Let them know you are friendly but no fool. If necessary carry a big can of bear spray just incase one approaches. The spray adds a sense of confidence. Seems like most of the time they just walk away.

Suesquatch - I don't think she did sleep well.  When I got down to the campsite by 10am the next morning, she was already packed up and gone!

Georgerm - I'm not going to carry a can of bear spray.  I feel it might be seen as a sign of aggression.  Carrying a Rosary might work better for me :)