Bf " Counting Coup "

JanV

Guest Darrell

Doesn't mean they don't either. 

Maybe maybe not. But adding human emotions and behaviour to animals IS a distict human trait. Its what humans do to humanize their world and make us more comfortable in the world we live in. Playing jokes, counting coup, generosity, compassion, pride, contempt, and kindness are human traits.  If you say bigfoot is human then ok, but then again you are kinda making up the rules of the phemonena to fit your view of what bigfoot should be.

Has anyone gotten any photos or video of these BF "counting coup"? Nope, I thought not.

You big meanie! How dare you question any outlandish report. Sasfooty had to replace siding panels. Didn't you, Sasfooty?

Maybe maybe not. But adding human emotions and behaviour to animals IS a distict human trait. Its what humans do to humanize their world and make us more comfortable in the world we live in. Playing jokes, counting coup, generosity, compassion, pride, contempt, and kindness are human traits.  If you say bigfoot is human then ok, but then again you are kinda making up the rules of the phemonena to fit your view of what bigfoot should be.

All I can tell you is that all three BF that I have seen clearly were human like in appearance, the largest one was heard talking - either to himself or to me - in some type of unknown, primal-sounding language that was intermingled with short ape-like grunts. The last one I saw - a "teenager" standing motionless in board daylight in open woods at a distance of only several yards - was totally human-like in shape, form and general appearance except for a thin layer of dark hair on his body but not on his face. That one deliberately waited on me to clearly see him before he wheeled and ran faster than any animal I've ever seen into a creek bed, dropped to all-fours and hid.

I will readily admit that a huge BF - within a mile or so of the camp location at which I heard the large male talking as he walked up to the truck bed I was sleeping in - made some of the most ape-like, aggressive and loudest sounds I have ever heard one hot summer day when I tried to intercept his family at a cold water spring about noon. The hooting and roaring sounds he made, along with the tree/limb breaking and boulder-rolling noises he made clearly indicated he was not a modern, civilized human.

Those are factual accounts which do not explain their primate lineage, but dozens of other incidents which have proved to me and others that they are VERY intelligent, have a curiosity  about us and what we do while in their territory. If we do not encroach too close to their family bedding areas, they are generally benign, but they ARE  pranksters and we are fair game, nearly always after midnight. They nearly replicate the curiosity of some of the indigenous tribes who live in areas of the Amazon Basin and who have had very little contact with outsiders.

I should also note that the BF that I have had the most experiences with are the large red/brown/grey haired ones in areas of the Ouachita Mountains about 1-1/2 hours drive north of my home. Those are the ones mentioned above. If I drive less than 1/2 hour south - or continue south, southeast or southwest to the adjoining state lines, there are at least two other types of feral primates, along with some the "Big Reds" that might be seen, heard, and tracked that have different habits and traits and react differently toward humans. 

No one can take away what I know about these creatures; but what I know is a drop in the bucket of knowledge that needs filling. I am as confident about what I have learned as you would be when you have made a "finding of fact" as an investigative analyst for the federal law enforcement agency which employs you. It would be asinine of me to try to degrade the work you may have done without any real knowledge of your work, or to imply that your judgement and observations were clouded by some lack of vision or attempts to contort the facts to fit a predetermined opinion. In a nut shell, you don't know what some of us know about BF, and we don't know a danged thing about what you do or know. 

By the way, thank you sincerely for your service to this country. 

BFF Patron

Has anyone gotten any photos or video of these BF "counting coup"? Nope, I thought not.

Yep, maybe a good thing for some, if Branco's could make rolling rock sounds, I'm sure a nice white light camera flash at night would probably make sure it was the last sounds Branco heard if he was in a bedding area.   

I actually had a gamecam setup that fired away from my encounter the night of my sighting.......  it revealed nothing but a totally overexposed white capture that seemed to be boogered with.  It was early on and I was equipment poor but not so naive to think I'd play the high tech game front and center and destroy my possible only chance at a closeup encounter (or have it be my last encounter).  I pushed my luck as it was leaving that bottom shelf game cam out to trigger.

Oddly enough it was not enough to shut down activity as it continued for a solid four years after that night.  I was satisfied with my sound file captures over that time period and learned alot.  I was on home turf and not probing bedding areas. 

Edited by bipedalist

Oh, cmon, even my friggin DOG had a sense of being 'dissed' in a playful manner. Coa-coa the Gorilla?  C'mon. 'If its not human its just a dumb animal' is a bit SCIENTIFICALLY OUTDATED and ignorant. Mammals are not 'insects' of which I would assure you do not have 'human' level emotions. Mammals have many common emotions. As BF are said to have human 'level' intelligence' on many levels, it is at least plausible they have 'human level' emotions of varying degree.

It seems that people who have actually been watching them, associating with them, and have been subjected to their numerous antics for years, are far more qualified to determine their degree of human-like characteristics than someone who doesn't even believe that they exist!

How can someone who doubts their existence even HAVE an opinion, & why should it be of any use to anybody else???

• Upvote 1

Oh, cmon, even my friggin DOG had a sense of being 'dissed' in a playful manner. Coa-coa the Gorilla?  C'mon. 'If its not human its just a dumb animal' is a bit SCIENTIFICALLY OUTDATED and ignorant. Mammals are not 'insects' of which I would assure you do not have 'human' level emotions. Mammals have many common emotions. As BF are said to have human 'level' intelligence' on many levels, it is at least plausible they have 'human level' emotions of varying degree.

I had a dog who used to hide my favorite pair of shoes on a regular basis. It was very obvious that she got a great deal of enjoyment out of watching me go all over the house cussing and talking to myself trying to find them.

She would wait for me to go upstairs looking for them and then when I would come back downstairs my shoes would be sitting out in the middle of the room.

Sort of a domesticated canine version of counting coup, I guess. Just to let me know that she was no dummy and give me pause for thought in that regard.

Edited by LarryP

Aunt had a dog that kept swiping and burying things they were using in the yard.  Favored hers, my grandfather's, and my uncle's work gloves in particular.  Took about seven pairs.  They found one recently buried pair, then wised up and were more careful with their gloves.  A couple of months later the dog produced all of the left hand gloves, arrayed along the winding front walk at almost exact intervals of five feet.

That day, the dog decided to reproduce just the gloves it had stolen, decided to return just one glove out of each pair, selected the left glove from each pair, selected an obvious location in which to place them to be certain they would be found, and arrayed them at even intervals.  To do all of this it also had to have some long term memory of each item it had stolen and where it had buried each item.

So when my aunt was going on about this stupid dog she had that was doing all of these things, I pointed out that it could obviously inventory, sort, and organize."

Counting coup was one explanation that was proposed to me when I told about how a very large, dark haired hairy guy with thick legs jumped over the hood of my little sis and bro's car as they drove home one nite.  They knew it was not a bird (my suggestion) and could not sleep for two days. I felt very sad that I had poo'd poo'd them and thought they were nutz.  But years later when I realized what was really going on out there in the boonies a lot of it then began to make some sense.

In the last ten years I've learned a lot. Some of them are my own experiences from visiting the woods.

One night, I observed an adult BF encouraging a very small one to come to the house & hit it with a stick. Apparently the young one was very afraid. He would start running toward the house, but would slide to a stop & run back to the adult before he got close enough. Then they would talk quietly for a few minutes & the young one would try it again. After about four tries, he finally succeeded. I was almost as happy about it as he was. I'm sure the adult knew there was no danger, but it had to have been terribly scary to him.

I wondered if it was his first "coup".

This reminds me of the time when my dad was encouraging me to take the"leap" off the diving board for the first time. And in the DEEP END no less. I would like to think this " coup" as a game of accelerated "tag". I would rather them touching us as a sport than snatching a head off.

How can someone who doubts their existence even HAVE an opinion, & why should it be of any use to anybody else???

The same could be asked of those who say they see them and interact with them constantly yet never provide a scintilla of evidence that they actually exist.

• Upvote 1

BFF Patron

Aunt had a dog that kept swiping and burying things they were using in the yard.  Favored hers, my grandfather's, and my uncle's work gloves in particular.  Took about seven pairs.  They found one recently buried pair, then wised up and were more careful with their gloves.  A couple of months later the dog produced all of the left hand gloves, arrayed along the winding front walk at almost exact intervals of five feet.

That day, the dog decided to reproduce just the gloves it had stolen, decided to return just one glove out of each pair, selected the left glove from each pair, selected an obvious location in which to place them to be certain they would be found, and arrayed them at even intervals.  To do all of this it also had to have some long term memory of each item it had stolen and where it had buried each item.

So when my aunt was going on about this stupid dog she had that was doing all of these things, I pointed out that it could obviously inventory, sort, and organize."

Hmmmm, but BF has no ......   Message received:  cogito ergo sum

Edited by bipedalist

Hi Darrell,

I am interested and amused by your statement because it is true and yet you seem to ignore the fact that humans ARE animals. We are successful animals but animals none the less!

Several posters have made reference to BF making animal sounds, roaring and screaming. Have you never been to a football game, a fight, a battle, never heard a woman in childbirth? We are all capable of making all sorts of noises. It doesn't mean we are incapable of speech or less human because of it.

I am not certain what BF is, or frankly if it exists at all, but I don't think that it makes a lot of sense to deny anecdotal evidence that may suggest it is a primate with some behaviors that may come uncomfortably close to those we possess.