Bf " Counting Coup "

JanV

Conbo, I can't help but think, when I am sitting alone, unarmed on the tailgate of my truck in the middle of the night, that I would have a heart attack if one crawled under my truck and pulled on my ankle.

An interesting aspect to these incidents is that in almost 100% of them, there was some BF activity going on further away that was intended to hold our attention while the sneaky boogers used that as cover to infiltrate our area. These are quite effective diversionary tactics, and often succeeded even when we KNEW that was what was going on and we were trying to be extra observant.

Now, whether or not boogers learned this "counting coup" game from Native Americans generations ago or it’s a game that THEY invented and the Native Americans copied and formalized, OR it’s totally coincidental that this “sneaky booger game†just happens to closely resemble counting coup, doesn’t matter to me. The fact is that it’s something that BF do – usually done by subordinates and juveniles – and some groups do it quite consistently, and it APPEARS to be a game to them. It COULD be a standard part of their behavior that’s purpose is actually to keep track of intruders in their territory (or some other purpose) and we just interpret it as a game.

The more I think about these occurences, the more I think I've had some close encounters but just couldn't be sure. The game could very well be to sharpen survival skills, particularly with the tactics of distraction. That takes team work.