This Would Be Awesome

ThePhaige

if we someone could get some Go Pro footage this impressive of a SSq...however in the mean time this is pretty darn

humbling to watch

• Upvote 1

Wow. And I thought I was cool because my cat comes when I whistle...

That is just insane (and beautiful) on every level. And yes, somebody gets BF footage like that and it would be a total game changer. Thank you for sharing; I know someone had posted on FB but I ignored it. Glad I took the 15 minutes--very worthwhile.

The video was very well done and I also enjoyed watching it although I cannot help but think this will be in a future episode of Animal Planets series...." Fatal Attraction ". Hope I am wrong.

I am not a fan of that guy, or anyone who insists on interacting with wild animals for that matter.  Unfortunately this is the kind of garbage people like to watch and now once decent channels like DSC, Animal Planet are littered with this unrealistic crap and gives the common public incorrect information. 

People like this do this stuff for their own selfish reasons, direct interaction with such animals helps them in no way shape or form and contributes nothing to their preservation. 

In short I hope he becomes lunch, or worse someone else becomes lunch then it will give game officials a reason to go and kill these beautiful animals,  thanks a lot buddy!

Just like this guy, http://www.usatoday.com/videos/news/2013/11/16/3615441   way to go!! You thought you were being all cute and having a great time when it was obviously to anyone that is familiar with wild animal management what was going to happen to the animal because of your stupid selfish decisions.

/endRant

Bigbear is mostly correct IMHO regardless of how cute it seems. There have been many cases where large cute cats change their minds and eat their handler.

My question is, did this fellow raise the lions from cubs to gain such affection?

He raised at least two of them. He states that a lioness tried to drown two sister cubs, and he rescued them. He is shown playing with the two of them. That's the segment where he talks about how different the personalities are. 

I don't think he talks about how the others became so comfortable with him. 

Edited by LeafTalker

I posted the video because I think it captures some interesting interaction in the present time and in the video shown...Certainly the fate of this man going forward is uncertain. I also have issues with certain groups who are attempting to humanize animals by making them cute and cuddly...certainly they can be..but if history is to be our guide they are going to still be animals and do the things that animals do. The other point I was trying to show is that if we could get video as compelling showing a SSq that it would perhaps go a long way... I dont think that is going to happen because of the theories I hold and the interactions I have had with them and what I have seen first hand...but that aside it would be nice.

• Upvote 1

yeah sorry about off-topic animal rant.  But yeah the technology for taking photos or video is certainly not lacking these days.  Neat electronic toys are becoming more and more available to the common public at reasonable prices.

I encourage anyone to check out the 808 HD keychain camera as well.  GoPro's and these little cameras are popular with motorcyclists for recording saddle time for both fun and insurance reasons.  The Keychain cameras do not collect quite the same quality of the newest GoPro's but they are a fraction of the cost as well as weight and physical dimensions.

here is a nice comparison vid

Edited by bigbear

Guest JiggyPotamus

I am a bit leery when it comes to people interacting with wild animals. Not for the human's sake, mind you, but for the animal's. The humans should know what the potential consequences are, therefore I would not feel all that sorry for someone who had an "accident" at the hands of a pet. I am not heartless, and would be a bit sympathetic, but really they should know better.

But usually stuff like this happens when the animals are raised domestically, and then released into the wild, and remember their previous handlers, thus coming up to them. That is way different than simply attempting to interact and tame a wild animal. And I have seen people on TV attempt to do this in the past. Timothy Treadwell comes to mind, mainly because this happened in the US. So one need not be on the plains of Africa, as these things happen close to home as well, for those living in the states.

It is still nice to watch, as I love animals in general. What I meant about this potentially hurting the animals is that it could make the animals not afraid of humans. This could get them killed, especially in areas where there are poachers. And I suppose there is the possibility of a wild animal losing some of its instincts when it is domesticated, but that probably doesn't happen. But maybe they would have a harder time surviving, and fitting in with others of their species, after being released into the wild at a certain age.

Admin

Playin with Fire!