Dead Sasquatch

hiflier

This little tidbit is probably buried in an old thread (see what I did there?) like much knowledge in this forum. Recently, but still in my pre-BF days, I saw one of the specials that attempted to quantify how long dead bodies last in the woods.  They staked out and wired down a deer carcass (to prevent a scavanger from making off w/a large piece) and then had a camera take a picture every few hours.  I cannot recall the details, but they grossly overestimated how long it would take - for example, thinking a month for the body to be completely gone and it took only 2 weeks.  

Hello Trogluddite,

I saw that clip and what you say is true and verified. I was rather surprised at the speed of it. To Terry I suggested that for that process in winter, due to lack of maggots and other parasites, nevermind the larger critters, decomposition would be longer. Factor in freezing temps and who knows the time sequence for decimation. Hair, bones and other relatively inedible matter might make it until early spring at which time other factors come into play.

Edited by hiflier

Guest JiggyPotamus

I think searching for remains would be a great idea. In fact, depending on what, if anything, they do with the bodies, or whether a predator has scattered them, it may be easier to find a body as opposed to documenting a live sasquatch. Finding remains wouldn't be easy, but capturing good sasquatch evidence isn't either. I listened to an interview with a primatologist the other day, and he made it very clear that finding the remains of non-human primates such as chimpanzees or gorillas is extremely rare in the wild. The only time remains are usually found is when something kills them instantly, giving them zero time to do anything at all. And this means they likely weren't feeling sick beforehand, as they were still out and moving about.

I know that animals who are near to death will often hole up in some of the most difficult to get to places, where it is virtually impossible to reach them without extreme and strenuous effort. So if a sasquatch didn't just drop dead instantly, it very well could engage in similar behavior. I would be willing to bet there are a combination of factors at work. Sometimes the additional family members, if there are any, may move the body. Even if sasquatch were not that intelligent, it wouldn't take much of it to realize something should be done with a body.

Personally I believe that it is not a large jump from mourning the loss of a loved one, and doing something with the dead body. It has been documented that chimps and probably other primates as well, actually mourn the loss of another chimp. I have seen video of such behavior, and obviously they realize what has happened. They understand that the animal's body is there, but that the animal itself has gone somewhere else, or no longer exists. It's hard to know exactly what they're thinking, but I believe they understand completely that the other animal is never coming back. The why and how are probably not important, although I could be wrong.

Anyway, so it is definitely not a stretch to think that sasquatch could cover, or outright bury, their dead. And maybe they do so because they don't want other sasquatch eating parts of the body. Remember all those Native stories about sasquatch who steal and eat babies and children? Well it turns out that there are quite a number of cases, although not really well documented, of other non-human primates actually attacking, and in some instances eating, children. It likely doesn't happen often, but it is not unheard of.

Anyway, to wrap this post up, I think it could prove fruitful to search specifically for remains. I agree that many of the gray sasquatch are older. In my way of thinking, the time that they would be most likely to die is during the winter, when they probably endure a near starvation diet, living off maybe 2000 calories a day, as an estimate, which is opposed to their normal diet which probably consists of 15,000 calories a day when food is plentiful. That is just an estimate on my part by the way.

So an older body cannot cope as easily with such yearly stresses, not to mention the other stresses from just living the life a sasquatch lives, out in the elements. If their life expectancy was identical with humans, the still would only be living as long as human ancestors did during pre-historical times when they lived a similar life to the sasquatch. So how many years would that be? I don't know really, maybe they live about 30-40 years at the most...I wouldn't expect them to live less than 20 years on average. That seems too low to me.

If someone believes that the sasquatch population is quite small, then from that same thinking, one shouldn't expect there to be many sasquatch dying every year. Obviously the birth rates exceed the death rates, otherwise I don't think sightings would be as plentiful. I have stated before that I personally believe the sasquatch population suffered an extreme population decrease centuries ago, and they have been rebounding ever since. And I believe there are many more out there than the majority of researchers and enthusiasts believe.

I would keep on with the same line of reasoning Hiflier, as it fresher than many other ideas of searching. In fact, I would bet that most researchers have never devoted serious time and study towards finding remains. Maybe I'm wrong, but I figure most people who would like to look for evidence would be looking for sasquatch itself.

Hello JiggyPotamus,

A good post, nice job. And I thank you for your encouragements. In a sense I do have to weigh this approach against efforts to prove existence over the past 50-60 years or so. It could be time to, not necessarily switch gears, but to include some alternative avenues to think about or follow up on in the pursuit of proof.

Edited by hiflier

This is a good idea I think. I will certainly do it. There is no reason anyone couldn't do it as all you need to do is have this in mind when you are in the field, whatever it is that you are already doing, and try to familiarize yourself with basic bone, or cadaver characteristics so you can have some better idea of what you are looking at when you do find something. Do this as well as whatever you are doing, be it bird watching, prospecting, looking for gemstones, hiking, nature photography, whenever and wherever you are. You can do this with others and not be ridiculed too. Just don't tell them you are looking for bones as  you do whatever. Make up excuses to look in areas that you think might be promising. If there is a stigma just lie. It's nobodies business what you are thinking in your head when you look at the forest floor. Just tell people you are hiking, or anything you wish.The main thing I believe is to study up on bones and identification of remains and the rest will fall into place. And you'll probably have a lot of fun anyway. And you'll probably find some interesting things too, maybe not primate remains, but once you start actually actively looking you'll be surprised what you see. Great Idea. Can't go wrong. Whether one is a believer or not look, you'll find something. Maybe not what you expected, but something. And if you don't want people to know what you are looking for when you look at the forest or field or mountain, don't tell them lol or lie. Lying is fun and can be creative too !

Hello people booger,

Nicely put. One does have to take some precautions though. Since a live Sasquatch could show itself no matter what ('cause that what it does) then no worries about wearing bright orange for safety. It definitely would be the way to go. I strongly advise also checking out what the hunting seasons are and for what animal in one's area. Since getting off a main trail (or game trail) may send one or a group into the brush or untraveled wood or forest areas then be smart. Make noise, lots of noise. Noise beyond thrashing through the undergrowth. Know your snakes, watch for hidden ankle breakers and wear really good boots, long pants, long sleeves and a bright vest with lots of zippered pockets.

And again, make lots of Human type noises, take a radio for instance as a dead Bigfoot can't see, or hear, a thing. Do a marine style chant. It's hard to get a deceased creature to just get up and hide if you just happen to come along.

Edited by hiflier

Hey hiflier,

Exactly.  Bigfoot skeptics - and not a few proponents - try to make data fit preconceptions.  Dead end.  Data MUST lead.  One follows it; one doesn't pigeonhole it into preset holes.

Hello DWA,

Yes indeed. So what does it leave? It leaves the fact that there needs to be an impartial assessment of the available data. ALL the data, videos, anecdotes, physical evidence, audible evidence- everything. OR.....if one thinks the creature exists then find ways to test for it. And then repeat those tests. If the same result occurs time and time again go to the next test and repeat. That means get into the field and perform the functions that will make a test valid. If I think looking for a dead body is a good test for existence then that is what I should do. Is it the best test? Other than killing a live one? I would have to say yes, it's the next best thing.

How many times have we heard pro-kill say the same thing? Norseman just said it for the umpteenth time and I know he means it. He aims to kill one first. if he finds a dead one instead though? Then THE HUNT IS OVER. The anti-kill proponents talk about no-kill policies so to me, they should be the ones most motivated in finding a cadaver. That does seem to make sense.

Edited by hiflier

Guest Cervelo

Hello Cervelo,

You know as well as anyone else there is no documentation to be had that the public is aware of. Only anecdotes and there are plenty of those in spades. But it's not enough is it. To me there are at least six entities that would know though. The Bureau of Land Management, the Border Patrol, the logging industry, the forest fire brigades as in the National Interagency Fire Center in Boise, Idaho, the Department of the Interior, The National Forestry Service, and the department of National Fisheries and Wildlife.

Uh, wait a minute.....That's seven LOL. There's more. I've said I think there already a type specimen but that not for this thread. AND it's only because of how I think about things. I take it then that you're of the opinion that looking for a dead Sasquatch is a waste of time? Any more so than looking for a live one?

I think your chances of finding either are about the same.

I would suggest this...go try to find a known dead animal in the woods.

Depending on where you live any remains are going to be gone very quickly and bones scattered and consumed as well.

It does happen because I have walked up on remains before but it's pretty rare IMO.

I found this backcountry in Yellowstone NP, very disturbing to find within 50 yrds of your camp the next morning....

F6C79BA8-1600-4C6B-9797-BCEB8FB17110.jpg

Edited by Cervelo

Hello Cervelo,

You should have seen that carcass for what it really was.....a Sasquatch in it's Elk disquise! Seriously though, it must have been a bit unsettling if thinking there was enough left for predators to visit. As far as Bigfoot? I assure you I'm in agreement with you. Finding one would be astounding live or dead. I do consider the best time still to be early to mid Spring as I've said elsewhere. Would it be chewed to pieces? Of course depending on when it died. Would it be recognizable? Perhaps not for the same reason. I mean it's not like they're sporting a rack (don't you DARE touch that one LOL, I know you!). So in looking for a live one one might find a dead one if one gets off-trail. In looking for a dead one, one might find a live one. But, as you say, finding either? Well, Cervelo, do they even exist? The only way to know that for myself is to again, get into the field and be prepared for surprises. :mole:

Edited by hiflier

Guest Cervelo

I like racks of all types spice racks, gun racks ect LOL!

Not one of my smartest camping moments for sure.

I had gotten camp set up late and wanted go for a little hike before dark and neglected to do a proper walk around.

It was a fairly old kill that was all that remained not one other scrap anywhere.

But you could see where something had been coming back to it and laying near it....that was disturbing for sure.

I think you've got it right though just get out there and enjoy the day....you never know!

This was the little valley.....

C39F5309-C8B4-457B-95B8-F7362B5FECD1.jpg

Edited by Cervelo

Guest Cervelo

Go go go!!!!

The weeks after Labor Day....it's apprently one of the slower times according to the rangers in the backcountry office.

I just got lucky when I went...the coolest thing is since so few people go backcountry, it's like having your own private guides at the permit office they are tremendously helpful!

The stat I was quoted when I asked why all the campsites were available "your one of 2500 people that are going to go more than a mile from a road this year".

The weather was perfect 60-70 during the day some nites in the 30s but not to bad.

If you go alone like I did...do one thing before going....camp a few times without a fire, they are often forbidden in the park and that takes some getting use to for some.

But go!!! It was one of the greatest experiences of my lifetime and I can't wait to go back!!!

You'll love this....after an unscheduled nite hike to Heart Lake Opps!

I came out of my tent with gun in hand wondering who was throwing "rocks" into my camp!!

Edited by Cervelo

Hello Cervelo,

Can't thank you enough for that. I will go! My spouse and I go camping for two weeks anyway every Sept. up the Coast here in Maine. It's a five hour drive that I wouldn't do for a shorter trip. Behind our usual site there are large spueces that have many lowor limbs that are dead and stil attached. The red squirells are aways dropping things that "knock" on those branches. Sometimes it's really loud. Yep, BIGFOOT! LOL. What impresses me is the quiet. No cell phone service, no wifi....nothin'.

At the end of next month, on Friday the 28th, I'm pulling the plug on work and retiring full time :) What am I going to do? EVERYTHING including camping right next to you LOL. J/K but I will be doing things just to get out more, like squatchin', B&W photography, and a myriad other things I not only want, but need to pursue.

Now if I can just get off this danged Forum ;)