How Far Away Can You Be To See Eye Glow? Need Help

Hammer102492

Hello All,

In simple terms a bright firefly can be seen with GOOD EYES? at around eight tenths of a mile away and a dim one at around 3 tenths. Not bad for the little guys, eh?

Edited by hiflier

Hello Cotter,

I would say yes, easily a mile. Thanks for the technical info BTW. It helps a lot.

Edited by hiflier

Hello JDL,

Yes, good point. Angle is important. I have noticed in some animals that I can follow thier eyeshine briefly as they turn away so I think there's a bit of leeway there if one is fairly close. A mile though? probably have to be pretty straight on. It means something that could be a bit unsettling though. It would mean that Sasquatch eyeshine at a greater distance would tell you that they are looking RIGHT AT YOU.

It would take a high intensity light, and the bigfoot would have to have a reason to look at it.

Some wavelengths (colors) may produce a different color eye shine than others.  The colors reflected back will be the colors that the bigfoot's eyes do not absorb.  So if you use a light with a red component, you may find that the reflected light is red.  The same bigfoot looking at a light which does not contain red wavelengths, may reflect a different color back.

The headlights on the rental car I was driving that night, most likely an Impala, caused red to be reflected.

Two different spotlights used by a team may produce different effects from the same bigfoot.

Edited by JDL

Hello JDL,

I agree. Question: What is it about us (or any animal? fish?) that is attracted to light when it's dark. For us to even see eyeshine using an artificial light source the creatures would have to be looking at it. I wonder if the same mechanism for why we say, look at fireflies, or a plane moving in the night sky, or stare at oncoming headlights, (the moth effect so to speak) is at play in the whole fauna kingdom.

Edited by hiflier

Light can mean a whole bunch of different things.  In most cases it isn't natural, and may mean something desirable such as safety, comfort, or food. It may also mean something dangerous which requires investigation.  With lower life forms, it generally must indicate food, mates, or environmental conditions wherein those may be found.

This is great! I have to take a picture now in the daylight to show you where I was standing. I'll reply shortly when I get on the regular computer. Ha! My husband the engineer wanted me to ask you all, so he will love the science! By the way, I did not shine a light on it, but the light shined at me. No other light sources nearby. Be back to you shortly.

Hello JDL,

IDK, we could be in trouble here with an engineer?  I would think he's seen eyeshine as well so ........maybe he can add some thoughts via Hammer102492.

Well, you guys did it again!  My husband just read your responses, and he said, "Well, I guess that answers your question."  And I said, "You mean that I could have in fact seen a light on the hill from the garage?"  And he said, "Yes." 

Not that I am interested in telling him, I told you so, but your science and replies helped me to verify it. 

Here is a photo that I just took where I was standing Thursday night when I saw it.  The light started with sort of a flash, then stayed illuminated for several seconds, then disappeared.    It was yellow - gold and very bright without being white.  It was rather large, as if it were the size of a full sized mag light. 

Just as I was laughing in amazement at seeing it, my phone rang and I had to go inside to talk to a family member.  Otherwise, I probably would have stayed out there longer to see if anything else happened, or if I could hear anything.

I had been thinking about BF earlier, wondering if they were around, even went down the road that I saw it back in May.  It was 9pm when I went out to the car to get a pack of cigarettes and I had decided that since I was enjoying the music on my phone so much, I would blow off listening for BF and just bring my tunes with me.  I had been posting on the Psychic SSQ thread just before I went outside.  So there I was, enjoying singing to Triumph, "Magic Power" and then the next song was John Denver, "Rocky Mountain High,"  (don't laugh but I like my old music and John Denver likes the beautiful scenery as much as I do.  I was just leaning on the back of the car looking back toward the house when a rather big bright light came blazing through the darkness directly in my line of sight.   I got excited and just started laughing, right after the part when I was like, WTH was that?  If I were looking for BF, I certainly wasn't going to hear them, but if that was a BF, she let me know she was there! 

This stuff blows my mind sometimes. 

By the way, the light wasn't on top of the hill, it was just below the top of the hill on our side, so it couldn't have been anything coming over the trees.  There is no house or person on the other side of our hill, just farm land for at least a few miles. 

post-23451-0-57305200-1392675416_thumb.j

Hello Hammer102492,

"She"? This is probably my exit signal? LOL. Keep a lookout for anything else and see if you can persuade the engineer to join you. I'll watch the thread for updates and thanks. Nice area BTW.

Hello Sasfooty,

Oh, well thanks for clearing things up. Here I thought they were all Nubians.

Relax.  Your post is not a logical leap. My question to Hammer102492 was reasonable so try not to make it sound as if I'm some kind of moron OK? Hammer102492 saw what she says is eyeglow. Did you see the pic? it was night. How could anyone suss gender at that distance at night? Eyeglow sure, Gender? No. It was only eyeglow- no creature form was actually sighted