How Far Away Can You Be To See Eye Glow? Need Help

Hammer102492

>>next song playing, "With a little help from my friends.  Gonna try with a little help from my friends.  I get by with a little help from my friends." 

The moon was coming up in the east, but it was slightly south east.  The owl, which I did hear in that same area, could have turned its head, caught a beam that made it spark, and could have settled looking in my direction for a few seconds. 

That is the really a good explanation. 

I guess I'll leave it to the engineer when he wakes up to figure out if this is possible. 

Thanks BC Witness!

I'll chalk this one up to what it could be.  If I see that same type of thing, I will let you know if moon light is out.

It just might be that old owl with the big eyes.  laughing  Maybe it wasn't a bigfoot.

Song playing now was my mother's favorite, "Teach Your Children" by CSN.

Maybe it makes me think that she would say, put it to rest for now.  laughing but singing it like we did at their 25th anniversary Mass.

Yeah, but thinking about it still.  Can an owl have that kind of light? 

Laughing now because it feels like the first day when I think that I saw BF jump across the road.  The engineer said, "It was probably a bear."  And I'm like, cool, it could have been a bear.

But I know it wasn't a bear.

So now I want to look on youtube, well I'll do that another time, but research what owl eye shine looks like. 

I keep going back to what I saw.  It seemed like it was warmer and more full if that makes any sense.  It didn't seem like a reflection. 

So now I'm like it is 50% owl, or could be 50% BF. 

I need to see what owl shine could look like. 

I heard one right there later.  Our hunter friend saw a big one when he was out. 

The owl that I heard later wasn't a barred owl. That is such a cool sound.  Or maybe it was, I have to research the different sounds of the barred owl, or any owl.

It was like coooooooooooooo.     cooooooooooooooo.   cooooooooooooooooooooooooo.  coooooooooooooooooo  soft and trailing off in the distance.  It almost sounded like a long winded cricket. 

Thank you BC Witness for helping me figure this out.

Song playing now, "Let's get the show on the road" by Michael Stanley Band.

The show is getting on the road thinking about a solution for this question.

"Susan played the lady who called the player's song's."

"Guess up and coming can't be that wrong.
Let's get the show on the road babe

spotlight's on the stage

somehow I've hear these words before

did you forget to turn the page

"Doctor my eyes" by Jackson Browne

Glad to help, Hammer. I hope that eased your mind a little, you can't let these things consume your thoughts. Say Hi to your engineer hubby for me, I probably think very much like him, having been a structural draftsman for 8 years, and a contractor for another 40. I grew up hearing stories about SSQ/BF, but my practical mind was skeptical, until I saw one, very clearly, about 35 years ago. Now that I have some extra time, and good health still, I enjoy looking for evidence that will be good enough to show others that they ARE real. It's certainly a great excuse to get out in the wonders of nature as much as possible.

Hey Hammer, that doesn't sound to me like eyeshine from your description.  At least it's not as we currently understand the concept to work in animals.

You could conceivably get it at that distance over unobstructed terrain, maybe.  But I think you would have to be shining a very powerful light - auto headlights on high beam might barely do - to get it.

Jiggy, there are numerous reports that associate an animal fitting the sasquatch profile directly with the eyeshine.  I think it's certainly conceivable; some monkeys and many prosimians have it.  That no known hominoids do doesn't rule it out in one undocumented.

>>next song playing, "With a little help from my friends.  Gonna try with a little help from my friends.  I get by with a little help from my friends." 

The moon was coming up in the east, but it was slightly south east.  The owl, which I did hear in that same area, could have turned its head, caught a beam that made it spark, and could have settled looking in my direction for a few seconds. 

I guess I'll leave it to the engineer when he wakes up to figure out if this is possible. 

Thanks BC Witness!

I'll chalk this one up to what it could be.  If I see that same type of thing, I will let you know if moon light is out.

It just might be that old owl with the big eyes.  laughing  Maybe it wasn't a bigfoot.

Maybe it makes me think that she would say, put it to rest for now.  laughing but singing it like we did at their 25th anniversary Mass.

Laughing now because it feels like the first day when I think that I saw BF jump across the road.  The engineer said, "It was probably a bear."  And I'm like, cool, it could have been a bear.

So now I want to look on youtube, well I'll do that another time, but research what owl eye shine looks like. 

I keep going back to what I saw.  It seemed like it was warmer and more full if that makes any sense.  It didn't seem like a reflection. 

I heard one right there later.  Our hunter friend saw a big one when he was out. 

The owl that I heard later wasn't a barred owl. That is such a cool sound.  Or maybe it was, I have to research the different sounds of the barred owl, or any owl.

It was like coooooooooooooo.     cooooooooooooooo.   cooooooooooooooooooooooooo.  coooooooooooooooooo  soft and trailing off in the distance.  It almost sounded like a long winded cricket. 

spotlight's on the stage

Completely off topic, but....how long does it take you to type a response?  That's a lot of songs to listen to while typing.

:dance:

Sasfooty - it did look like that only brighter. But that is the same color tone and warmth of light. What is that ?

Cotter - I type fast, unless sending from phone. I stop and think a lot when I have the luxury of time like last night. Turned out to be a snow day. :)

That is what it looked like! Only there was one light not two and it was bright.

Could that be the owl that BC mentions, or is it BF or what? That's it though. Good pic Sas! Thanks!

BFF Patron

Thanks BC Witness!

spotlight's on the stage

Barred owls can have a single note call that could foot the bill I wouldn't rule them out as well as eastern screech owls with a trilling almost like a purr which can repeat on and off for minutes at a time, especially if others are nearby.  The barred owl calls are nearly always much more powerful than those of the much smaller eastern screech.  Can't see how those dusk lights could possibly be owls.  

Bipedalist - I think you have it there.  Your description of the sound like a purr is spot on.  I think that it was a screech owl. 

I was just outside for about an hour, (took my time taking out the garbage), and enjoyed the moonlight and the fog and the quiet valley. 

I so enjoy nature here.  The engineer and I were smart making this move here.  We just enjoy the outdoors here.  That for me is, and has been stronger than anything, long before the BF showed up.  I have always embraced new nature discoveries here.  I remember the first time we heard a pack of coyote make a kill.  I remember this past summer when I heard a barred owl for the first time.  I remember the first time we saw a bald eagle here.  I remember the first week after we moved in, we looked outside and 20 turkeys were hanging out in our front yard.  Our dog ran out and thought that it was the best thing ever to chase them off.  For as long as Molly was alive, she would bark at buzzards in the sky thinking that she was scaring them off.  So now we have Bigfoot  here.  So what else is new?  Why should I be surprised?  It's just one more thing. 

I think I might have had too much too fast with BF.  Or maybe not, after 14 years, it was time.  And they're just one more piece of the nature event we have here.  And now I saw a screech owl shining down upon me.  I was thinking when I was outside looking at the moon, that the owl could have turned its head, caught the direct moon light, then went a little further in my direction.  I am open to reasonable explanations.  That one makes sense, and I am chalking it up to a great new experience here.

Now if I see it again without the moon / light parameters, then you'll be hearing from me again.  But until then, I'm going with the screech owl theory.  Of course you have to know that there is still a percentage of that thought that is reserved for the possibility that it was a BF, but at least I'm not losing my mind again too terribly.

Yes, BC Witness, it did put my mind at ease.  I read your post just before I kicked off to sleep and while I didn't post it, I did want to tell you again, thank you for chiming in with good thoughts. 

Yes, my BF Fever is still with me, but I am also open to, and want to hear all ideas about what is going on here.

Thank you all!

The common thread among us all is that we enjoy being outside.  The majesty of it all...is humbling.

So if you see a BF along the way, then it's a simple twist of fate. 

I'll do anything I got to do, if I can stay here, in Johnny's Garden.

(Trying to wean myself off of quoting songs because it my be irritating to some, so I am now going to incorporate that into my postings, for my words,    and the rest you will have to figure out.)  Thank you for dealing with me.  I really do appreciate it. 

We moved here, where we are safe from the city blues.  I love Cleveland, and will always consider that home, but here we have time to unravel.   

For all of us in this BFF, I think our common thread is that we love nature.  Some see BF, and some don't, but who doesn't enjoy being outside hearing a pack of coyotes with their singing call.   

It gives me peace in quiet hours.

Or to see and hear a screech owl with his singing call. 

Or to hear a human with her singing call.

Or to hear a BF with her singing call.

You tell me that there's nothing shaking on shakedown street, when I can hear it beat out loud. 

I may have had too much to fast.  This town has a heart here in Mohican Valley, you just got to poke around.  :keeporder: